Organic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphone2020

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN ,
ImageUploadedBySDN1476226135.835507.jpg

I was asking DR Romano about this question and I still got it wrong ! In my thinking process I though that E or Z the E will be non polar so it would be less thermodynamically favored! Am I confusing subject with CIS or Trans! I would love to get feedback from Dr, Romano on this!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN ,
View attachment 209797

I was asking DR Romano about this question and I still got it wrong ! In my thinking process I though that E or Z the E will be non polar so it would be less thermodynamically favored! Am I confusing subject with CIS or Trans! I would love to get feedback from Dr, Romano on this!

Thanks!

Hello SDN ,
View attachment 209797

Thanks!

If have an alkene with 2 different groups you do not use E/Z nomenclature, but you use Cis/Trans nomenclature.This is a mistake often made by many students. When dealing with alkenes the Trans isomer is normally the more stable because the groups are further apart and do not sterically clash.

I suggest you use a book written by a PhD Chemist, I suggest the David Klein text.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN ,
View attachment 209797

Thanks!

E-Z configuration describes absolute stereochemistry of double bonds whereas cis-trans notation only describes relative stereochemistry that can be used to describe double bonds having two or more substituents. The E being more stable is due to less steric hindrance.. I think..

Members don't see this ad :)
If have an alkene with 2 different groups you do not use E/Z nomenclature, but you use Cis/Trans nomenclature.This is a mistake often made by many students. When dealing with alkenes the Trans isomer is normally the more stable because the groups are further apart and do not sterically clash.

I suggest you use a book written by a PhD Chemist, I suggest the David Klein text.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano
Oops, he already answered.