organization tools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brain hugger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how you managed all your paperwork/readings for graduate school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Er, as in how we organized them, how we actually managed to read them, or what specifically? Even organization itself can mean a lot of different things... :p

Sorry about that! I just meant what tools/techniques do you use to organize your paperwork? How do you categorize them? How do you store them for later use?

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is not to have paperwork.

Seriously. Scan it all in - if your lab has one that can scan stacks of pages at a time, great. If not, it might even be worth investing in a low-end one that is capable of this.

I could probably fill an entire room with all the paper I've read over the last few years, yet it all easily fits on my laptops hard drive. Plus I can use that lovely feature called "Ctrl-F" that papers and filing cabinets don't have. Just make sure you have multiple backups! I have a file syncing program that keeps things stored on both my laptop and desktop in case either should die, plus I back up pretty regularly to both an external HD, and off-site web-based backup in case of something truly awful (e.g. fire).

Before I head to grad school in the fall, I am investing in an ipad, kindle, or some other e-reader to keep track of all my papers and stuff.

I normally rely on memory for journal article information but I know that won't fly in grad school. Especially when I lose all the papers I print out :p

Thanks, Ollie123 and Psychology 76!! :D You're right, paperless might be the best bet.