organs that regulate blood pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starstarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I always get thrown when they ask me some question and one of the answers deals with blood pressure so i really wanted to clear this up.

1. which organs DIRECTLY affect blood pressure

2. which ones INDIRECTLY affect it

my best answer is:
1. the heart, kidneys, brainstem?

2. no clue?

if anyone could help with a more concise answer, thatd be amazing cuz i always seem to choose that answer and it's wrong.

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I always get thrown when they ask me some question and one of the answers deals with blood pressure so i really wanted to clear this up.

1. which organs DIRECTLY affect blood pressure

2. which ones INDIRECTLY affect it

my best answer is:
1. the heart, kidneys, brainstem?

2. no clue?

if anyone could help with a more concise answer, thatd be amazing cuz i always seem to choose that answer and it's wrong.

THANKS

i agree that heart, kidneys and medulla directly affect BP

as far as organs that indirectly affect BP, i'm going to make a couple of stretches and list all that i know of that affects BP in one way or another. i'll define "organ" as tissues that serve a common function

adrenal gland - synthesizes aldosterone in the cortex which causes the reabsorption of sodium (and excretion of K+), which causes plasma osmolarity to rise, which then causes the reabsorption of water via the action of vasopressin.

pituitary (post pit) - even though the posterior pituitary hormones are synthesized in the hypothalamus they are release from the post pit--the one affecting BP is vasopressin (ADH) which causes the reabsorption of H20. this increases our blood volume and thus increases BP

liver (a stretch) - makes angiotensinogen which is cleaved by renin (made from our kidneys) and ultimately causes an increase in BP when it's converted to ang II by the enzyme ACE in our lungs

lungs (a stretch) - contain the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) which is responsible for turning ang I to ang II. Ang II is an extremely potent vasocontrictor and also causes the release of aldosterone. these act to increase BP