Orgo and Physics Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tessellations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm taking Orgo I and Physics I next semester and I'm starting to think about what supplies I'm going to use for each class and I was hoping for some advice. I like taking notes by hand and don't have an iPad and personally detest taking notes on my laptop. I was thinking of using a graph ruled notebook for Physics, but am curious as to what people found worked for them for Orgo. I was thinking maybe either graph ruled or regular old college ruled. Also, I've heard of people having a separate notebook for reactions - can anyone potentially elaborate on this if they found it useful? And if you have any brand suggestions, go for it. These are obviously not the most serious questions, but I can go a bit nuts over school supplies so I figured I'd ask them anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

I just used a regular old college-ruled notebook for both. I did have two notebooks for Orgo 1 though - one for notes, one for doing problems from the book/problem sets/old exams/whatever. Probably would have been smart to use the same thing for Orgo 2. They provided us with structure kits and lab notebooks. I used Mead 5-star college ruled single subject for everything in college and it seemed to work out fine.

get the ochem molecule kit. The geometry section made no sense to me without that.
And ya, definitely take hand written notes

On a side note, I love the whole orgo/ochem dichotomy and how it lines up perfectly with East Coast/West Coast people. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg I like the idea of having a separate notebook for problems and etc. In gen chem I sort of had a notebook for that purpose, though it would have probably been a lot more effective had I actually kept it organized. College ruled did me well in gen chem. I used a graph ruled book for calc though, so I was thinking that might go well in physics, especially when it comes to drawing diagrams.

@Pusheen I am definitely planning on a molecule kit. I see infinite value in having one for sure. And I never really noticed that before. I'm fairly new to SDN so I haven't seen much use of 'Ochem' before, since I am very much a bred New Englander, lol. It even feels weird to say!

@WedgeDawg I like the idea of having a separate notebook for problems and etc. In gen chem I sort of had a notebook for that purpose, though it would have probably been a lot more effective had I actually kept it organized. College ruled did me well in gen chem. I used a graph ruled book for calc though, so I was thinking that might go well in physics, especially when it comes to drawing diagrams.

Whichever you think will work better. I used regular college-ruled when I took multivariable (as well as for all my math classes in high school) so I got used to making diagrams on that, but if you're used to graph paper, then that might be a better choice for you.

I agree that it helps to have separate books for notes and problem sets. I always used graph paper for physics problem sets, but I don't think it would help any for orgo. Maybe if they made some sort of honeycomb graph paper for orgo, that would be useful. You are gonna be drawing a lot of hexagons.

. Maybe if they made some sort of honeycomb graph paper for orgo, that would be useful. You are gonna be drawing a lot of hexagons.
Now that would be brilliant

Now that would be brilliant

I actually googled it thinking that maybe I should apply for a patent :laugh: and as it turns out there are a lot of print-your-own hexagon graph paper things out there for people who are trying to design quilts. So maybe they could be repurposed for orgo.

I agree that it helps to have separate books for notes and problem sets. I always used graph paper for physics problem sets, but I don't think it would help any for orgo. Maybe if they made some sort of honeycomb graph paper for orgo, that would be useful. You are gonna be drawing a lot of hexagons.

Yeah, I'm thinking good old college ruled notebook for orgo will work just fine. But man, you've got the right idea with that honeycomb paper idea. That would be brilliant. Good thinking :laugh:

For organic chemistry, I would be prepared to have a **** ton of paper on hand at all times to write out mechanisms and reactions. I used clean notebook paper and the backs of used printer paper. For notetaking, I used about 4-5 90 page notebooks for both physics and organic chem. I don't like using the back sides of my notebooks.

On a side note, I love the whole orgo/ochem dichotomy and how it lines up perfectly with East Coast/West Coast people. :D
LOL, I've recently noticed that I always say "Ochem lecture" but "Orgo lab." :D