1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Orgo Chem bad score

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Applicant15, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Applicant15

Pre-Optometry
    Hi Everyone,

So I recently took the OAT and got these scores:

TS: 340
    AA: 330

I have a 3.3 GPA and lots of volunteering/extra curric. experience, and from what I've heard, people are saying I should apply this year as these stats will stand a chance. Unfortunately however, I recently got back my marks for my organic chemistry 2 course taken at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada...and it's bad..I got a D+ which I don't think meets the minimum requirement for schools (which I'm guessing is a C?) and I REALLY don't want to take it again. Since I already took Orgo 1 again...going through orgo 2 once more would be brutal and very disappointing. Is it an absolute, written-in-stone requirement that I get a score above C in this course? My other science prereqs (and other courses in general) are all in the B to A range. Do you guys think I should take it again?

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MEAtech

Pre-Optometry
    To my understanding, for most of the schools organic 2 isn't a pre-req. I'm not sure how it will affect your application, but it does affect your overall undergraduate GPA. But it also affects your graduation? I know at my school I need at least a C in all my classes to graduate so you MAY have to re-take the course whether you want to or not, or try a community college? Not sure...

4. OptomStudent2018

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    If you're in Canada, I suppose you are trying for Waterloo optometry?

5. Snakedoctor1

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    For most schools it is a pre-req unless you substitute it with Biochemistry.

6. Dordy

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    dude i go to mcmaster too and have similar scores

GPA: 3.34
    OAT: TS 340
    AA 330

i got a C- in the first orgo and i have 8 interviews (all in the states)
    although i took biochem 2ee3 (will substitute for the second orgo..i got a A+ though lol)

if your OAT is good and GPA is still ok they overlook one bad grade trust me i was scared too with a C- cause the cut off is a C

Mcmaster orgo is literally stupid and probably harder than any other school.

definitely try tho you will get interviews for sure

7. Applicant15

Pre-Optometry
    Okay, thanks for the reassurance! It really helped :).

8. fifa518

Pre-Optometry
    You seem like a great candidate. In the USA, (east coast schools at least, ) they require at least a C in the course. I however, was a total idiot and took orgo I 3 times, and orgo II only once. However my overall gpa is still a 3.4 and I scored a 340 on the orgo on the OAT. I took the OAT 2 weeks ago and I already have 2 interviews. I think if schools do NOT require to retake, you probably shouldn't. However if you're interested in a school that requires at least a C then you probably have to. Best of luck