1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Orgo Chem bad score

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Applicant15, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Applicant15

Pre-Optometry
    Hi Everyone,

So I recently took the OAT and got these scores:

TS: 340
    AA: 330

I have a 3.3 GPA and lots of volunteering/extra curric. experience, and from what I've heard, people are saying I should apply this year as these stats will stand a chance. Unfortunately however, I recently got back my marks for my organic chemistry 2 course taken at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada...and it's bad..I got a D+ which I don't think meets the minimum requirement for schools (which I'm guessing is a C?) and I REALLY don't want to take it again. Since I already took Orgo 1 again...going through orgo 2 once more would be brutal and very disappointing. Is it an absolute, written-in-stone requirement that I get a score above C in this course? My other science prereqs (and other courses in general) are all in the B to A range. Do you guys think I should take it again?

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MEAtech

Pre-Optometry
    To my understanding, for most of the schools organic 2 isn't a pre-req. I'm not sure how it will affect your application, but it does affect your overall undergraduate GPA. But it also affects your graduation? I know at my school I need at least a C in all my classes to graduate so you MAY have to re-take the course whether you want to or not, or try a community college? Not sure...

4. OptomStudent2018

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    If you're in Canada, I suppose you are trying for Waterloo optometry?

5. Snakedoctor1

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    For most schools it is a pre-req unless you substitute it with Biochemistry.

6. Dordy

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    dude i go to mcmaster too and have similar scores

GPA: 3.34
    OAT: TS 340
    AA 330

i got a C- in the first orgo and i have 8 interviews (all in the states)
    although i took biochem 2ee3 (will substitute for the second orgo..i got a A+ though lol)

if your OAT is good and GPA is still ok they overlook one bad grade trust me i was scared too with a C- cause the cut off is a C

Mcmaster orgo is literally stupid and probably harder than any other school.

definitely try tho you will get interviews for sure

7. Applicant15

Pre-Optometry
    Okay, thanks for the reassurance! It really helped :).

8. fifa518

Pre-Optometry
    You seem like a great candidate. In the USA, (east coast schools at least, ) they require at least a C in the course. I however, was a total idiot and took orgo I 3 times, and orgo II only once. However my overall gpa is still a 3.4 and I scored a 340 on the orgo on the OAT. I took the OAT 2 weeks ago and I already have 2 interviews. I think if schools do NOT require to retake, you probably shouldn't. However if you're interested in a school that requires at least a C then you probably have to. Best of luck