Orgo Chem Lab II Revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that we've discussed this already, but now that I've gotten the GWU secondary (on which they ask you to list they class numbers which satisfy their requirements, one being 2 credits of orgo loab), I'm wondering about this question again. I have only taken orgo lab I (a 1 hour course), but I'm a biochem major and have undoudtedly satisfied/will satisfy lab requirements with classes such as biochem w/lab.

Will schools make a big issue of a missing orgo lab II requirement? Has anyone ever been hassled about this (specifically with GWU, but also in general)?

What about students who are NOT biochem majors (I speak for praying4md on this one)? There are a lot of people who don't need to take this course for their major/minor - it doesn't make sense that schools would be really rigorous about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should just call GWU and ask them.

i actually emailed GWU about the strictness of their course requirements, as I didn't even take the third and final quarter of organic chem at my school (which was not required), let alone the lab, instead replacing it with biochemistry. there's a thread about it somewhere. what they told me is that while they prefer the full year of organic chemistry, they will still abide by what your school designates as fulfilling the premedical requirements--meaning, if you fulfilled your school's 'premedical curriculum' by only taking the first organic lab, then you're okay.

i never realized that some schools would be so strict about this! dartmouth flat-out states on its secondary that they won't take biochemistry credit for organic chem, *even though* the biochem course I took and the third quarter of organic that i didn't take are extremely similar.