• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Orgo, destroyer..??

JDHK

Jun 20, 2013
  1. Pre-Dental
    I feel like im right on this one..This is obviously E2 reaction with the adjacent carbon losing a hydrogen, but there are no other adjacent carbons other than that one. Do E2 reactions do rearrangements too?? The answer is the T-butyl (C), which I know is anti zaitsev in E2 reactions, but why would there be a need for anti zaitsev when there is only one adjacent carbon with hydrogens. Unless it rearranges to 2 carbons away somehow..? I felt the answer was OH-, the strong base and strong nucleophile that would result in E2 per usual.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 9.39.37 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 9.39.37 PM.png
      46.1 KB · Views: 20

JDHK

Jun 20, 2013
    1. Pre-Dental
      the answer is t-butyl, because this is the only way to get the least substituted alkene...

I'm aware of that, but there is no "more substituted" alkene to compare to isn't there? There is only one possible alkene here, so why would u need to specify a reagent to get anti zaitsev..? Bromine is in the end carbon, and there isn't any rearrangements in E2 reactions

hope_to_match

10+ Year Member
      Feb 7, 2011
      New York
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        because in order to form the anti zaitsev you need to have a very bulky base. if you were to use an -OH with a primary bromine, the reaction would go SN2 and Br would be substituted for OH in the primary position with inversion of configuration and all that good stuff..

since you see that your product is the least substituted alkene, you right away know that a bulky base was used

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.