Orgo for OT?

Started by gialuan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gialuan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was originally doing pre-med and just recently decided to switch to OT. That being said, I wasn't aware of the different general pre-reqs between the two fields. I've been looking at several OT schools and so far I haven't found any that requires organic chem. I'm almost done with the first semester of pre-med level orgo (rather than the nursing-level orgo at my school) and I'd like to know if I need to take orgo at all.
 
It is probably not likely that you will find an OT school in the US that O-Chem is required. I would say don't take it unless you like it (but who in their right mind like organic chemistry anyway?).
 
Thanks for responding 🙂. Man, I could've taken physics =/...Hopefully I'll get at least a B- for this class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more thing. Since most schools don't require orgo, is it ok if I do credit/no credit? Will that look bad on my transcript when I apply?
 
I don't think it would make a difference. However, keep in mind that I only know PT prereqs extremely well, and not OT. Just because you are taking it without needing it does not mean you cannot use it to fulfill some science prereq. Besides, the things you learn in that class may come in handy for physiology and pharmacology--you never know.