Judajudo

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I was working on the post video question on organic chemistry section on coursesaver, and couldn't figure something out:

Correct Answer: 7-ethoxy-2,3-dimethyloctane

I got this wrong because I thought the Ether functional group got priority in numbering in this case even though numbering from where the methyls are would give it a lower overall number in naming. So instead of the correct answer: 7-ethoxy-2,3-dimethyloctane, I got 2-ethoxy- 6,7 - dimethyloctane. When does the functional groups priority override the numbering convention? Similar to how Alkanes and Alkynes would get priority in getting the lower number regardless of rest of functional groups (as long as there aren't any other higher priority functional groups.

elitehacker1337

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2017
While ProfessorAOS is correct, that is not to say that alcohols wouldn't be given less priority when considering iso-groups. Or in your case, the 2,3 methyl groups.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.