Orlando Regional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephedra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Good luck on your rank list. I am a 2nd year resident at Orlando Regional (not Florida Hospital) here to answer any pressing questions you may have before you finalize. Remeber that you will get great training anywhere as long as you put in the work.

I am rediculously happy with my training thus far. Great people, great pathology, and great location. I feel ahead of the curve training here. Ask me anything and I will be as objective as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

So Im pretty enamored with the residency program at ORMC. The training is top knotch, the residents are super friendly and the town....well its South florida so how can anyone complain. Question is....i did an audition rotation there back in June and I think things went well. Even had a few attendings who I later worked with along the way, ORMC EM residency grads make phone calls for me. Is there anything in particular that really makes one applicant stand out over another during the ranking process? Thanks!

Hey Surfer, I am glad you have had such a great experience with us. You are spot on about or residents and training. Well there are plenty of things that make an applicant stand out. Of course we look at Your steps and EM rotation grades and evaluations, but besides that we are looking for individuals that truly want to train here. Shoot Sal (our program director) an email and express your sincere interest and that will help alot. One of the reasons we are a happy bunch is because we all realized what you did and wanted to come here. Sal loves hearing that.
As long as you look good on paper (did well on your steps and rotations)
and you were a friendly guy who was interested in learning while you were here you shouldnt have a problem. We look more at the applicant as a whole package than as a step score. We have a very well rounded cast and look to continue that tradition in next years interns.
I didnt rotate here and I ranked Orlando #1. I sent Sal an email expressing my interest and it worked out for me. Granted, I'm a stud, but it did not hurt me. Just kidding by the way......... well kind of.
Orlando Downtown is a beautiful place to be all year round. Well this January has been strangly cold but it is normaly pretty darn perfect from november to may. Gets steamy June to September but I love the heat.

I have had a great time in residency so far. The people are the biggest contributers to my happiness for sure. You will get your ass kicked here right away. We work fast and hard but I feel very comfortable even being only half way done. As you know we are a private hospital but over half of our patients are "County" type patients so it is a good mix butu makes for a full ED. Good news is we are funded and our ancillary staff is top notch so we do not do Scut.
Anyway, good luck in the match. Where ever you end up will be great just remember that. Hopefully I'll see you this summer. If you pm me your name I can pass on your interest to our program director.
-ephedra

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey surfer. Glad to hear you liked this place. I'm halfway through my intern year and couldn't be happier. I'm not going to rehash the things that ephedra already said, but I do want to reiterate sending Sal an email and letting him know how interested you are. I sent him an email and made it clear that I was ranking ORMC #1 and here I am.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Thanks! I really appreciate both of your advice with this. As im sure you can remember Match is such a brain racking process. Hope to see you both this summer!

And meet some of us at parties! ;)

ORMC rocks. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Cant wait....hopefully its at the one Dr. Silvestri hosts in late june.

I do admit, I may be a little biased. But I agree that ORMC rocks. And maybe a little about that Ephedra guy being a stud.