ORM vs URMa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInstitute

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I wrap up my first semester of college, I began to realize how unfair it is for ORMs. The fact that I was born Asian will end up hindering me, which is complete bull****. Med School Admissions should be dealt with in merit-based fashion. The MCAT should be treated like the GaoKao. 这个是废话。 The URMS who are consistently less qualified are getting the spots at Harvard and Hopkins. It is just so unfair.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I refrained from commenting on your other thread but I think you need a big adjustment in attitude before you really think seriously about medicine. Every single thing you post has been full of angst and playing the victim card. Calm yourself. You're in first year. Go do something for your community before whining about what you do or do not deserve.

Before you bite back at me, I'm Asian and Canadian, so I'm doubly unlikely to get accepted to US schools, but here we are.

Edit: have you also considered what advantages you might've had for your stats? I, for example, know for certain my stats are what they are in large part to my parents being well educated and growing up in a nice location. Taking this into account I hope you see why someone "consistently less qualified" may be deserving of that Harvard spot.

Reactions: 3 users
Dude. One African American guy who is in Harvard med school right now had 3.7 and 40 mcat undergrad. Don't know about the others. You really don't know what your talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I wrap up my first semester of college, I began to realize how unfair it is for ORMs. The fact that I was born Asian will end up hindering me, which is complete bull****. Med School Admissions should be dealt with in merit-based fashion. The MCAT should be treated like the GaoKao. 这个是废话。 The URMS who are consistently less qualified are getting the spots at Harvard and Hopkins. It is just so unfair.

Last edited:
What if medical admissions is designed for what patient populations need, rather than what applicants deserve?

I mean hell, it isn't fair that the same application can be vastly more competitive in Texas than California. Where's the outrage?

Reactions: 7 users
Get over yourself man... this kind of resent is going to get you nowhere.

Also, doesn't the gaokao make score exceptions for ethnic minorities in China as well? There's regional quotas for different provinces too or something. It's not this perfect meritocracy either.

Reactions: 1 user
Its funny how so many Asians are neurotic, elitist, and super concerned about getting accepted into medical school/any grad school. Then when they are accepted, they end up unhappy because they have poor social life/skills that they never worked on. When the realization hits that having a career or tittles, which their parents instilled into them at a young age, can't fill that void, they began to learn there is so much more to life. OP has a lot of maturing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
:whoa:

What if medical admissions is designed for what patient populations need, rather than what applicants deserve?

I mean hell, it isn't fair that the same application can be vastly more competitive in Texas than California. Where's the outrage?
EFLE STOP THINKING THIS IS ABOUT THE PATIENTS

THIS IS ABOUT ME BEING THE MAIN CHARACTER

Reactions: 5 users
Also does anyone even ever just go LOOK AT THE DAMN AAMC TABLES?

It is BARELY easier for blacks to get in, and BARELY harder for Asians to get in- your stats are not going to make your break your app.

Also, people seem to not know that FEWER black applicants are accepted as a percentage of applicants than whites or Asians. Don't believe me? go look at table A-24, AAMC.

Reactions: 2 users

"Delete your account"

P.S I expect more of these threads to surge in the coming days post-thanksgiving theoretical deadline

Dude I get it that you might need more competitive stats to get in as ORM, but you also realize that no URM is stealing your spot? If someone gets admitted to med school then they are qualified in the first place. Saying URMs are consistently less qualified just doesn't make sense. There's a reason why there are MCAT and GPA cutoffs at schools and other screening procedures.

And Gao Kao is a terrible example. You can't just admit someone based on just their standardized test scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.