WAMC NJ ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myribosomesbad

Reaction score
Hi,
Got my mcat score back a few days ago, and I don't think I'm retaking it, so I want to get started with constructing a reasonable school list. Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • cGPA, sGPA are both 3.91
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 521 (132,129,130,130)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • NJ
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • East Asian / ORM
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • HYP
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Volunteering at university hospital as patient aid at internal medicine and hem/onc (~200 hrs)
    • Volunteering at student-run local free clinic and serving as board (~250 hrs)
  • Research experience and productivity
    • Research at my university lab (2000+hrs) with a pending publication.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Shadowing doctors in the medical field I'm interested in—vascular surgery, CT surgery (~100 hrs)
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Volunteering at local soup kitchen/shelter (~150 hrs, probably can get it to 200+ by end of May when I submit primaries)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Paid TA for a few classes (~200 hrs)
    • Counselor for summer research program for high school students (2 summers, I guess ~700 hrs)
Here's my very preliminary list:

Far reach:
  • Harvard
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Stanford
  • UPenn
  • Mayo
  • Duke
  • Cornell
  • NYU
  • Columbia
  • UChicago
  • UMich
  • Yale
  • Northwestern
  • U of Wash
  • Mt Sinai
Reach-"safety"ish?:
  • In state (RWJ Rutgers, Hackensack)
  • Emory
  • U Rochester
  • WashU St. Louis
  • Tufts
  • USF
  • UMich
  • Boston University
  • Brown
  • UConn
  • Dartmouth
  • Albert Einstein
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got my score back a few days ago, and I don't think I'm retaking it
What???
Shadowing doctors in the medical field I'm interested in—vascular surgery, CT surgery (~100 hrs)
A little bit of primary care shadowing would be beneficial

Your application is solid for your school list, but it's kind of plain vanilla. Your chances will depend a lot on spinning your mission.

Remove U Washington since they admit very few applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. UConn will "yield protect" with your stats. You could add any of these schools:
Hofstra
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad :)
What???

A little bit of primary care shadowing would be beneficial

Your application is solid for your school list, but it's kind of plain vanilla. Your chances will depend a lot on spinning your mission.
Oh, sorry if that bit was confusing. I meant that I got my MCAT score back, and I don't plan on retaking. Thanks for your advice!

What is your role with your free clinic? What else do/did you do with your free clinic? Is it associated with any medical school or health center/hospital?
It's associated with the university hospital. My current role is a student board/director (previously just a volunteer), and I initiated a partnership with a national charity organization to provide free medications to uninsured pts at our clinic, and also led a clinical quality assurance subcommittee and coordinated between several departments within the clinic to promote healthcare literacy for our non-English speaking patients.