Ortho 2020 chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Usually there’s a huge surg in interest mid to late July of second year in fm and im. Not sure what causes it

it's called being effed by boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user

If you look back the last 5 years, I believe about on average 5 DOs match MD ortho every year. I knew 2 my year who matched who were absolute studs.

Anyways, just go DO ortho, unless you are an absolute stud and want to do academic ortho at wash u as a career. If you want to go into PP, it absolutely doesn't matter.

On my job interview trail, I found one group that wasn't interested in DOs. Their loss.

He is talking about ACGME ortho. Not AOA.

It’s silly to look at it that way as it’s not like the AOA programs are all disappearing, they’re just accredited by ACGME.

Either way, ortho is an uphill battle whether you’re MD or DO. For MD you better have the stats and research. For DO you better have the stats, research, interview better than most, and be from a small handful of schools.

It’s silly to look at it that way as it’s not like the AOA programs are all disappearing, they’re just accredited by ACGME.

Either way, ortho is an uphill battle whether you’re MD or DO. For MD you better have the stats and research. For DO you better have the stats, research, interview better than most, and be from a small handful of schools.
AOA programs aren't disappearing, but by the time OP enters the match MD students will also be applying for some fo those spots. Concurrently, seems unlikely acgme ortho spots are going to start taking more DOs, so it's logical to suspect DO students will feel an ortho squeeze. Clearly some formerly AOA programs that have already integrated are taking MDs as the other poster described. At the very least ortho will be a lot more competitive for DOs than it already is.

Yeah, and that means now the DOs are competing against a real cohort (MD students), not the COMLEX-brigade.

AOA programs aren't disappearing, but by the time OP enters the match MD students will also be applying for some fo those spots. Concurrently, seems unlikely acgme ortho spots are going to start taking more DOs, so it's logical to suspect DO students will feel an ortho squeeze. Clearly some formerly AOA programs that have already integrated are taking MDs as the other poster described. At the very least ortho will be a lot more competitive for DOs than it already is.

Exactly, we have already witnessed some of the squeeze, as you said. This is an important point that people should look into.

Yeah, and that means now the DOs are competing against a real cohort (MD students), not the COMLEX-brigade.

Exactly, we have already witnessed some of the squeeze, as you said. This is an important point that people should look into.
Yeah that’s the hard truth is that we are now competing vs md students. Who are on average better test takers.

Glad I’m not doing ortho lol

This is previously discussed as with the situation in Derm. The concept is the same for all competitive specialties.

Which is exactly why I made the point about the specific DO school you go to being important as well as the other things I listed. Some schools have been sending a large chunk of matches to ACGME programs for years as it is. Those places won't be hit as hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might need more than 228 as a DO applicant for UIC IM program...

Doubtful about this. We have someone who matches to UIC IM and her USMLE Step 1 is def lower than 228.

What’s so great about UIC? Pls don’t tell me that it’s bc of its location in Chicago.

Don’t you just love all of these MS I nobodies talking smack at their seniors. It’s very cute.

If you consider stating a simple fact related to the discussion "talking smack" because you feel threatened that I'm not talking about your school then I highly doubt you're the type of person I'd consider my senior in anything.

If you consider stating a simple fact related to the discussion "talking smack" because you feel threatened that I'm not talking about your school then I highly doubt you're the type of person I'd consider my senior in anything.

It's funny that you think that there's an actual hierarchy of merits among DO schools. ROFL. This is coming from a someone who attends a veteran school with a well known reputation among premeds around here.

The transfer of information is a funny thing in medical schools. It usually goes like this:

OMS II, who doesn't know crap at the beginning of school, informs OMS I of the awesomeness of the school. Cocky OMS I, who doesn't know jack, thinks that they're the stuff. When board time comes and finishes, there's def silence from soon to be OMS III, and reality hits them like a truck. The cycle continues with misinformation.

Keep up that attitude, champ. You're going to have a great time in surgery. I'll be waiting for you if you get to that stage.

Reactions: 2 users
It's funny that you think that there's an actual hierarchy of merits among DO schools. ROFL. This is coming from a someone who attends a veteran school with a well known reputation among premeds around here.

The transfer of information is a funny thing in medical schools. It usually goes like this:

OMS II, who doesn't know crap at the beginning of school, informs OMS I of the awesomeness of the school. Cocky OMS I, who doesn't know jack, thinks that they're the stuff. When board time comes and finishes, there's def silence from soon to be OMS III, and reality hits them like a truck. The cycle continues with misinformation.

Keep up that attitude, champ. You're going to have a great time in surgery. I'll be waiting for you if you get to that stage.

You're arguing with yourself. Again, the only thing I did was share a fact from a match list. I didn't rank any schools, I didn't discuss the "awesomeness" of any schools, and I actually can't think of a single MS2 that I've spoken to this year.

As for a hierarchy, there absolutely are schools that score higher than others on boards every single year and put out far better match lists than others every single year. Surely you know this.

As for a hierarchy, there absolutely are schools that score higher than others on boards every single year and put out far better match lists than others every single year. Surely you know this.

This may have been an issue in the past but things are changing. You implied in a previous post that "old" DO/AOA programs will still favor DO students post-merger. I am telling you, as someone who is currently going through that process, that that is only wishful thinking. I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you differently. If you think Plainview's PD if going to take the NYITCOM grad over the NYU or Mount Sinai grad, out of "loyalty," you are dreaming my friend. Plainview used to be the least competitive AOA Ortho program w/ a very poor fellowship placement rate. Plainview took 4MDs and 3DOs this year.

Which is exactly why I made the point about the specific DO school you go to being important as well as the other things I listed. Some schools have been sending a large chunk of matches to ACGME programs for years as it is. Those places won't be hit as hard.

Lol the specific DO school you go to means nothing. They are all considered to be lowest tier schools. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about if you think any DO school has been sending large chunks of matches to Ortho or any other competitive specialty.

You need to realize that no competitive specialty program director thinks anything of DO schools other than the fact that they are all low tier and that is all. I am telling you this from speaking to numerous program directors and residents/fellows involves in the residency application process in Ophthalmology, which is as competitive as Ortho is. Literally the second they hear "DO", it is usually game over for the applicant unless they have significant connections. What makes you think Ortho is any different? Are you really this naive? Pedigree is a huge factor in resident selection, especially in competitive specialties and also sometimes top programs in uncompetitive specialties. DO school X and DO school Y are the same low tier caliber at these programs and it is hilarious that you think graduating from one DO school over another will give you an edge when applying for the most competitive specialties.

Go look at what has happened recently, as was discussed numerous times in this thread. The DO-only AOA Ortho club is now a thing to be remembered in the pages of history as a place where applicants who never would have matched ACGME Ortho were able to get in by taking COMLEX, doing little to no scholarly research activities in medical school, and sucking up to the PD and residents. Now the times have changed. Better MD applicants have already taken a huge number of spots in the former AOA ortho programs, and it is only going to get worse from here. Get your head out of the sand and embrace reality.

Oh yeah, because the difference between the "best DO school match lists" vs. "worst DO school match lists" are consistent by school, year after year, and the difference is as substantial as Harvard Med's match list vs. the lowest tier MD schools' match lists. Get real, lol. Fun fact for you: all DO school match lists are substantially worse than the lowest tier MD schools. There is no "far better match list" between DO schools - the newest DO schools are sending people to the same places as the oldest and most established DO schools. That's the reality.

Last edited:
Lol the specific DO school you go to means nothing. They are all considered to be lowest tier schools. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about if you think any DO school has been sending large chunks of matches to Ortho or any other competitive specialty.

You need to realize that no competitive specialty program director thinks anything of DO schools other than the fact that they are all low tier and that is all. I am telling you this from speaking to numerous program directors and residents/fellows involves in the residency application process in Ophthalmology, which is as competitive as Ortho is. Literally the second they hear "DO", it is usually game over for the applicant unless they have significant connections. What makes you think Ortho is any different? Are you really this naive? Pedigree is a huge factor in resident selection, especially in competitive specialties and also sometimes top programs in uncompetitive specialties. DO school X and DO school Y are the same low tier caliber at these programs and it is hilarious that you think graduating from one DO school over another will give you an edge when applying for the most competitive specialties.

Go look at what has happened recently, as was discussed numerous times in this thread. The DO-only AOA Ortho club is now a thing to be remembered in the pages of history as a place where applicants who never would have matched ACGME Ortho were able to get in by taking COMLEX, doing little to no scholarly research activities in medical school, and sucking up to the PD and residents. Now the times have changed. Better MD applicants have already taken a huge number of spots in the former AOA ortho programs, and it is only going to get worse from here. Get your head out of the sand and embrace reality.

Oh yeah, because the difference between the "best DO school match lists" vs. "worst DO school match lists" are consistent by school, year after year, and the difference is as substantial as Harvard Med's match list vs. the lowest tier MD schools' match lists. Get real, lol. Fun fact for you: all DO school match lists are substantially worse than the lowest tier MD schools. There is no "far better match list" between DO schools - the newest DO schools are sending people to the same places as the oldest and most established DO schools. That's a fact.

Sheesh it’s easy to get you guys big mad online, no reason to be that insecure.

I’m looking at several match lists right now and in the handful of fields I’m interested in there is a massive difference. Again, feel free to have your own opinion. Although you were corrected by a poster several posts up that does discriminate between DO schools, and I know of several programs throughout Texas that do the same.

If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me they were ortho or bust in MS1 I’d be debt free.

Now we got like 5 who want ortho. 1-2 might get it. Other three are dreaming. The rest took the hit of reality and properly refocused their efforts

I’m looking at several match lists right now and in the handful of fields I’m interested in there is a massive difference. Again, feel free to have your own opinion. Although you were corrected by a poster several posts up that does discriminate between DO schools, and I know of several programs throughout Texas that do the same.

This is a thread about Ortho. And what I said isn't some sort of baseless "opinion", because I actually regularly communicate with and do research with ACGME faculty in another competitive specialty and am intimately aware of these issues. Ortho and other competitive specialties aren't any different. It's not like the Ortho program directors at academic ACGME programs are saying, "WOW this guy went to CCOM/KCU/MSU, he must be way better than the other DOs that applied! Quick, let's interview him." ACGME programs in competitive specialties don't give a damn. DO is DO, and no one cares about separating them out. You are living in an alternate reality.

And good luck with your useless analysis of the DO match lists - what a great use of your time.

MS1 looking at match list “dude somebody got ENT last year wow cool I wanna do that”

Fails to see the other 200+FM IM PED ER matches

Reactions: 3 users
The only case in which DO school choice matters is at AOA programs. Many of them have preference for one or two schools in the region for competitive specialties. If you look at their rosters they at least take 1 or 2 out of 3 grads from one school if not all 3. As far as the vast majority of ACGME programs go, they do not care.

Who's mad? OP asked what his chances are post merger to match ortho based on his stats. For his sake I refuted your point that those AOA programs "aren't going anywhere." DO students need to have their eyes open going into the post merger match about how much more difficult some of these ultra competitive specialties will be now that MDs can also go for them. If they're not they may end up not matching and scrambling for a spot in a residency they weren't that interested in in a location they don't want. It's obvious that these AOA pds are willing to take MDs and it's obvious MDs are willing to do their residencies. The result is the # of DO ortho residents will likely go down. Again for OPs sake it's best to be upfront about this so they can make an informed decision.

No one knows exactly what is going to happen. My thought is that the number of total DO ortho spots MAY go up just based on the fact that DOs will now be able to apply to the ACGME spots and not have to worry about not matching because they are throwing all the eggs in the ACGME basket and forgoing the DO match. Obviously, DOs matching into ACGME is very low chance, but just beer sheer numbers alone it should increase. DO applicants need to shoot for previously AOA programs.

If you wanna go ortho post-merger, you should be at/above the level of MD applicants to have a good chance....meeting 250+ with research and good grades. We had 7 ortho matches out of our school last year and hope to see similar numbers this year...all we can do is hope for the best.

Last edited:
There were only 4 ACGME ortho matches for the entire country last year.

Let that sink in.

Post merger Ortho will not be an option for 99.9% of DOs, nor will any other competitive specialties.

I know it's not what everyone wants to hear but when 4/750 spots go to DOs, the writing is on the wall. That's one half of one percent of all spots going to DOs.

Last edited:

Let that sink in.

Post merger Ortho will not be an option for 99.9% of DOs, nor will any other competitive specialties.

I know it's not what everyone wants to hear but when 4/750 spots go to DOs, the writing is on the wall. That's one half of one percent of all spots going to DOs.

Yes, this is true. How many DOs applied ACGME?

Yes, this is true. How many DOs applied ACGME?

I can give you the abysmal match statistics of osteopathic students applying for ACGME Ophthalmology, a field that is very similar in competitiveness to Ortho. What makes the Ophthalmology statistics especially interesting is the fact that ACGME Ophthalmology (through SF Match) matches PRIOR to AOA Ophthalmology (January for SF Match, versus February for AOA). Therefore, no one can say that "these osteopathic applicants just ended up pulling out of ACGME match and opted for AOA match because they got cold feet from seeing the superstar MD applicants during the ACGME interview trail". That's just wishful thinking, because we know that the SF Match occurs first, so this argument is bogus.

Look at this:

upload_2018-8-18_19-33-38.png

The past 3 years (2016-2018) shows a 34% match rate for Osteopathic seniors participating in the SF Match for ACGME Ophthalmology residency. After speaking to several PDs and residents/fellows involved in resident selection at numerous programs, I have concluded that many of the unmatched applicants were not just "bad osteopathic applicants with no research and low Step 1", but would actually have been quite competitive and likely would have matched if they were coming from even a low-tier MD school. Their lack of pedigree held them back big time, and the ones that tended to match were ones with big name letters and connections to influential ophthalmologists.

I cannot imagine Ortho is any different. Anyway, I just showed this because I am predicting someone is going to start announcing the typical argument of "yes but the DOs don't match ACGME ortho because they get scared and end up going AOA ortho, but they would have matched ACGME!"

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_19-33-16.png
    upload_2018-8-18_19-33-16.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 47
I can give you the abysmal match statistics of osteopathic students applying for ACGME Ophthalmology, a field that is very similar in competitiveness to Ortho. What makes the Ophthalmology statistics especially interesting is the fact that ACGME Ophthalmology (through SF Match) matches PRIOR to AOA Ophthalmology (January for SF Match, versus February for AOA). Therefore, no one can say that "these osteopathic applicants just ended up pulling out of ACGME match and opted for AOA match because they got cold feet from seeing the superstar MD applicants during the ACGME interview trail". That's just wishful thinking, because we know that the SF Match occurs first, so this argument is bogus.

Look at this:

View attachment 238818

The past 3 years (2016-2018) shows a 34% match rate for Osteopathic seniors participating in the SF Match for ACGME Ophthalmology residency. After speaking to several PDs and residents/fellows involved in resident selection at numerous programs, I have concluded that many of the unmatched applicants were not just "bad osteopathic applicants with no research and low Step 1", but would actually have been quite competitive and likely would have matched if they were coming from even a low-tier MD school. Their lack of pedigree held them back big time, and the ones that tended to match were ones with big name letters and connections to influential ophthalmologists.

I cannot imagine Ortho is any different. Anyway, I just showed this because I am predicting someone is going to start announcing the typical argument of "yes but the DOs don't match ACGME ortho because they get scared and end up going AOA ortho, but they would have matched ACGME!"

Not saying DOs should apply ACGME or that the match rate will go up. I am simply stating that the absolute number of DOs going into ACGME ortho MAY go up since there will be more applying. Like I said, DOs wanting to match ortho should be focusing on previously AOA programs, 250+ with research.

I am simply stating that the absolute number of DOs going into ACGME ortho MAY go up since there will be more applying.

True, could happen. In fact, when you look at the ophthalmology stats above, 2018 saw a big jump (19 applicants, 5 matched in 2017 - 28 applicants, 10 matched in 2018), though this probably is not enough data to draw a strong conclusion.

Another fact that needs to be acknowledged is that programs in competitive specialties that are even willing to interview osteopathic applicants in the first place may not be likely to rank more than one every few years, so simply increasing the number of applicants may have very little effect after a certain threshold. I have discussed this issue with ACGME faculty/residents, and it seems that programs care a lot about their appearance - having DOs in the residency roster threatens their prestige and their reputation as strong academic research programs. One fellow I used to work said that their program director in their residency program outright refused to interview DOs based on the fact that he didn't want to harm the prestige of the program by having any DOs on the resident list, among other reasons.

Last edited:
Better MD applicants have already taken a huge number of spots in the former AOA ortho programs

Yeah that huge number is 6......

Let that sink in.

I've already addressed this before, but your analysis sucks. There were truly only 7-8 DOs that were actually trying for ACGME programs... and 4 matched. Now 50% is not good, but it's definitely more than zero. If you look at the charting outcomes (see my sig) then you can see that there were a large number of people that only had 1 rank, and these individuals were largely all people who failed to match AOA and had interviewed at the Nassau program (no audition for an interview, just a board cutoff) which then had 1 of their 2 spots in the ACGME match, so they all had the 1 rank. If you remove them from the applicant pool, because they weren't true ACGME aspirants, then about 50% of people who applied ACGME ortho actually got a spot.

I can give you the abysmal match statistics of osteopathic students applying for ACGME Ophthalmology

and optho is not ortho. Cross field analysis are garbage even when both are competitive specialties.

People now before the usual suspects come in here and start arguing against their own strawmans, I am not saying matching ortho won't get more competitive. We simply don't know how much more and won't until everything is fully merged. There were only 6 former AOA spots in the ACGME match, that's not enough of a sample size, especially when applicants would have had to skip out on the rest of the AOA programs simply for a shot at Plainview....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users

Let that sink in.

You say words that hurt the feels

Just not my IM feels

I’m just tryna match into IM, EM, Neuro, or PM&R. This doable for a lowly DO prospect?

I’m just tryna match into IM, EM, Neuro, or PM&R. This doable for a lowly DO prospect?
You got this! You can match all of those and likely at some decent programs that you'll enjoy

Want to clarify that average means 220-230s on Step 1 and 230s-240s on Step 2 along with a not weird personality. These numbers will give you a solid chance at mid tier university programs out there. The reason that university programs are so key toward your future is the ability to wipe the DO bias off your CV, and let you match to strong competitive fellowships from hard work in residency. For example, I want to do Neuro IR. My chances for Neuro IR are zero if I come from a community program. However, a residency completion at a mid tier program will allow me enough research pedigree and connections to match to a top Vascular/NCC fellowship, and thereby allow me to match to a Neuro IR down the road.

You’re going to have a hard time matching to these specialties with either no Step score or barely passing board scores.

I also would add Anesthesiology to that list.

However, doing average on boards doesn’t mean doing average or better in class. You will find out soon enough in 2 years that a Step 1 bet 225-230 is among the 65-70% of your classmates who actually take the USMLE.

Last edited:
In 2018 4 people matched ACGME ortho, In 2019 15 people did, keep in mind many of the former AOA programs were still filling through the AOA match so the total number of ortho matches is way higher than 15. I believe this will be the trend and that the TOTAL number of DO's going into ortho each year will likely be the same or even higher post 2020. Now the % idk, could be higher or lower based on how many people tried to go to ortho that year. That is quite promising if you ask me lol. Also I don't know why people are saying that AOA ortho was a cakewalk for DO's its not like we had bottom tier DO's matching AOA ortho lol. These people had high comlex/usmle and possibly research as well. As long as a majority of former AOA ortho programs make the transition(they are) DO's entering ortho will be mostly unchanged, sure MD's will also fill those former AOA programs(like plainview taking 3 MD and 3 DO last year) but DO's will also fill some of the traditional MD programs as the chart below shows. This is quite promising and not the doom and gloom seen on SDN(as usual ;) )

Last edited:
In 2018 4 people matched ACGME ortho, In 2019 15 people did, keep in mind many of the former AOA programs were still filling through the AOA match so the total number of ortho matches is way higher than 15. I believe this will be the trend and that the TOTAL number of DO's going into ortho each year will likely be the same or even higher post 2020. Now the % idk, could be higher or lower based on how many people tried to go to ortho that year. That is quite promising if you ask me lol. Also I don't know why people are saying that AOA ortho was a cakewalk for DO's its not like we had bottom tier DO's matching AOA ortho lol. These people had high comlex/usmle and possibly research as well. As long as a majority of former AOA ortho programs make the transition(they are) DO's entering ortho will be mostly unchanged, sure MD's will also fill those former AOA programs(like plainview taking 3 MD and 3 DO last year) but DO's will also fill some of the traditional MD programs as the chart below shows. This is quite promising and not the doom and gloom seen on SDN(as usual ;) )
View attachment 271366

I'm not sure why you necro-bumped this thread, but I'll bite:

The number of DOs who matched orthopedic surgery (both AOA and ACGME) in 2018 was 112. In 2019, the number was 122. There is no significant difference between 112 and 122 total ortho matches, and this should not be taken to show a "promising trend."

The increase in the ACGME ortho matches (5 in 2018 vs. 15 in 2019) may be largely accounted for by the fact that, between the 2018 and 2019 matches, four AOA ortho programs made the switch to ACGME, taking their spots with them.

If you dig into the data, you'll see that they don't support your assertions.

Sources:
2018: (AOA), (ACGME)
2019: (AOA), (ACGME)

As long as a majority of former AOA ortho programs make the transition(they are)

At this moment in time this statement is wrong. Roughly half of the ortho programs have it. Now I have some insider info that quite a few more are very close but until it actually happens no, most programs are not making the transition.
This is quite promising and not the doom and gloom seen on SDN(as usual ;) )

Eh if more programs make it then no it won't be doom and gloom, but it won't be "quite promising" either... not with the explosion of DO schools.

At this moment in time this statement is wrong. Roughly half of the ortho programs have it. Now I have some insider info that quite a few more are very close but until it actually happens no, most programs are not making the transition.

I see, on the aoa website it says that a bunch of the former programs (~20) are “continued pre accreditation “ I was under the impression that these programs were filling residents in 2019 and thus as long as they got in order what the ACGME wanted them to they would be fine. Hopefully they do but if what you are saying isn’t true and the inside scoop is wrong and a bunch of them don’t make the cut then yeah it could mean that there will be far fewer DO’s in ortho. But who knows this is all speculation.

I see, on the aoa website it says that a bunch of the former programs (~20) are “continued pre accreditation “ I was under the impression that these programs were filling residents in 2019 and thus as long as they got in order what the ACGME wanted them to they would be fine. Hopefully they do but if what you are saying isn’t true and the inside scoop is wrong and a bunch of them don’t make the cut then yeah it could mean that there will be far fewer DO’s in ortho. But who knows this is all speculation.

First bolded: yes that means they don't have accreditation. If they don't get accreditation this year then they will not be able to take residents next match.

Second bolded: yes they filled this year, no they won't next year if they don't get it this cycle. "Got in order what the ACGME wanted then they would be fine" so really just a long way of saying, "if they get accreditation this year."

Last bolded: no it's not. If more programs don't make it than currently have then the ability to get into ortho as a DO diminishes GREATLY.

Hi everyone. I am posting to get feedback from you guys about my chances to match orthopedics this cycle -2020. Everything about my application screams average but in person I know that I am above average (work ethic, pleasure to be around) I head off for my first away soon.

Step 1: 249
Step 2: 249

US MD school
URM
No AOA or GHHS
Preclinical: (Half H, Half HP)
Clerkship: only Honored one clerkship (Neurology). Had to remediate FM for a low shelf score, remediation was an 81. Pass in IM (Shelf 81, poor evals, had beef with an attending). HP everything else.
4 pubs
couple of school leadership positions and volunteer work nothing big

Just had the residency advising meeting at my school and they seemed concerned about me matching, wanted me to apply to several community programs and dual apply 5-10 prelim general surgery programs as back up.

Do you think I will match??
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated