Ortho Backup plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmedoctor2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS4 from West Coast school applying ortho this cycle and wanted some insight on prior experiences with the match process. Recently had our interview offer day and I ended up getting 10 IVs, much less than anticipating. Most from signals at western programs, might have signaled too many top programs and east coast programs which could have costed me a lot of IVs.

Stats: 265 step 2, AOA, honors on half of clinical rotations (but not surgery), 10 ortho pubs with 80 total research pubs/posters/presentations. Long term mentors who I presume wrote good LORs.

In talking to school advisors, 10 IVs is perceived as an uncomfortable position to be in and puts me at risk to not match. Anyone have experience with around this number of interviews? I could also see a circumstance where less interviews were offered this year due to transition back to in person and signals both being implemented together for the first year. Not a ****post or humblebragging, but legit want to know if I need to put a backup plan into motion. Working on a lot more research over this year and can probably enter a RY through school if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I'll bite. HOW?

I think research is probably a diminishing return at this point.
Good system and group with abstracts getting submitted (and often accepted) to several local and national conferences each year since first year, all the projects have hit in getting accepted to journals. But that’s beside the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused. Plugging your numbers into NRMP charting outcomes yields an 85-90% chance of matching which is about as good as it gets

Reactions: 3 users
Make the most out of the 10 interviews you have (e.g. mentors calling for you the week before interviewing). You are in an OK spot but certainly not out of the woods. If you have a home program, PD LOR, strong mentors, and did well on aways you are in a better spot.

Just prepare a backup plan now if you don't match. Are you all in on ortho? --> maybe think about doing a research year to either A) develop a new, strong mentor who can vouch for you B) go to a small / community program that will offer near conditional linkage into their program. You can consider a prelim gen surg year - I'd only consider this if you've already done a RY.

If you see there's more to medicine than ortho, think about SOAP'ing into a different specialty or reapplying with multiple specialties. Just do your best now and plan.

I think you have a solid shot at matching with 10 IVs based on charting, especially with your stats, even though the number of IVs that you received was not where it should be. Sounds like you may have used too many signals on high ranking programs on the other coast that don't want to consider you because of bias or whatever. Do you have a home program and how many away sub-I did you do? because you have a really good shot at matching your home or away program. GL.

Do you have a home program and how many away sub-I did you do? because you have a really good shot at matching your home or away program. GL.
Yea have a home program with good mentors that I know well and did three aways. Good feedback from all and was invited back to all of them, feel good about those

Completely anecdotal but you may have actually hurt yourself if you listed all 80 items. All the posters, abstracts that you were middle author on and didn't present should not have been included as it just diluted your actual accomplishments and some PD's likely didn't even look through to find your real publications. Additionally if you were double or triple dipping a poster, presentation, and abstract based on the same information but all listed separately it can be viewed negatively. This is what I heard from one neurosurgery PD so like I said it is anecdotal.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea have a home program with good mentors that I know well and did three aways. Good feedback from all and was invited back to all of them, feel good about those
Good to hear. I also want to mention that S2 score also has a diminishing return once you reach near 260. It seems that with S1 P/F, the focus is not on S2 as everyone thought, not like it was with S1 scored. At least that was my observation. My stats are as good as it gets. I did not receive as many IVs as I thought I would, but the IVs that I did get came from top tier. So maybe I got yield protected. We really need to play this match game smartly. LMFAO.

• Haha
Good to hear. I also want to mention that S2 score also has a diminishing return once you reach near 260. It seems that with S1 P/F, the focus is not on S2 as everyone thought, not like it was with S1 scored. At least that was my observation. My stats are as good as it gets. I did not receive as many IVs as I thought I would, but the IVs that I did get came from top tier. So maybe I got yield protected. We really need to play this match game smartly. LMFAO.

What do you think the focus is on?

What do you think the focus is on?
More holistic review of applications is what I am seeing from IVs received, but who the **** knows. I mean a 240 S2 is going to still likely sink you, but 270 is not all that. Be like water.

Reactions: 1 users
More holistic review of applications is what I am seeing from IVs received, but who the **** knows. I mean a 240 S2 is going to still likely sink you, but 270 is not all that. Be like water.

Exactly - the emphasis on holistic review is real. It almost feels like there's no difference b/w 250 and 265 for ortho.

Trying to figure out the game is brutal. 10 interviews, is solid, but it's impossible to know. Is the applicant MD/DO? Did away rotations guarantee interviews? Does OP have a home program? Good mentorship?

Exactly - the emphasis on holistic review is real. It almost feels like there's no difference b/w 250 and 265 for ortho.

Trying to figure out the game is brutal. 10 interviews, is solid, but it's impossible to know. Is the applicant MD/DO? Did away rotations guarantee interviews? Does OP have a home program? Good mentorship?
Good point on guarantee IVs for rotators. If OP did rotations at programs that do not grant IV to everyone that did a rotation there as a curtesy, then they are in a better position certainly.

Good point on guarantee IVs for rotators. If OP did rotations at programs that do not grant IV to everyone that did a rotation there as a curtesy, then they are in a better position certainly.
MD, have a home program, know for sure 2/3 aways didn’t invite everyone back. Agreed no point trying to figure out the game at this point