Ortho chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyrion33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Someone with more direct experience can give you an idea of the minimum cutoff for initial screen, but being at 241 I'm almost positive your score will get you through the door and they will be reviewing your application. <220/230 I think is an automatic no-look (maybe higher now) but again, I'm 8 years out from direct experience and also went through military match back then. Anyway, with 10+ papers, as long as your academics are good through med school and no red flags you have a good shot at matching somewhere in Ortho.

Beyond that I will let people with more direct experience with civilian programs weigh in

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, how would I go about picking aways? Any specific names come to mind? Ik aways are the best bet, so want to max my chances if I stay the course.

Thanks for the advice, how would I go about picking aways? Any specific names come to mind? Ik aways are the best bet, so want to max my chances if I stay the course.

Mid tier programs with locations you like. Texas programs tend to like their own and so do other states, so best bet is somewhere you have a connection like where you’re from/family/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A hopeful anecdote regarding Step scores:

A guy from my school matched into Ortho last year. He had a Step 1 in the low 220's. He did 3 away rotations and got only 3 interviews, at those same places. He matched at his top choice among those three (and rumor is that the other 2 places had him ranked to match as well). Obviously this is an unlikely success, but this guy absolutely killed his away rotations, and was also super likable as a person. So based on this n=1, you can make up quite a bit if you shine on a rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
A hopeful anecdote regarding Step scores:

A guy from my school matched into Ortho last year. He had a Step 1 in the low 220's. He did 3 away rotations and got only 3 interviews, at those same places. He matched at his top choice among those three (and rumor is that the other 2 places had him ranked to match as well). Obviously this is an unlikely success, but this guy absolutely killed his away rotations, and was also super likable as a person. So based on this n=1, you can make up quite a bit if you shine on a rotation.

Have definitely heard this before. On the extreme ends, killing aways seems like it can be either really good or really bad for an applicant though. What did he do/how does one "kill" aways?

Have definitely heard this before. On the extreme ends, killing aways seems like it can be either really good or really bad for an applicant though. What did he do/how does one "kill" aways?

I wish I knew. He was in the year above me and was friends with my brother, but I don't really know him. No idea what he did. I just knew that he was a super nice guy.

Hi guys,

I need advice big time. Recently received my step 1 score, unfortunately only got a 241, am a current M3 at top 25 school. Am concerned about matching ortho and deciding whether I should switch to a diff specialty with lower avg step (e.g. ophtho avg last year was 243). Have 10 accepted papers on pubmed so far (2 first author, 2 co-first) all in ortho, by app time expect to have 15-20.

1) What do you guys think are my chances of matching? Interested in any and all programs, location/other stuff doesn't matter, beggars can't be choosy.
2) Can someone explain how the program screens work? For example, it seems most programs have screens between 230-240. Once an applicant gets pass the screen, what happens? I assume that with national avg around 248, do programs still rank heavily by step post-app/interview?
3) What programs, if any, do you guys think would be the best fit for me? Ik orthopods apply everywhere, but I'm thinking where are programs I should actually do aways at?
4) Most importantly, what do you guys think I should do to improve my chances? Ofc I should max clinical grades/step 2, but what are rough #s I should aim for?

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated. I definitely have a big decision to make the next few weeks and want to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks in advance!

1) I think your chances are good of matching somewhere and possibly somewhere quite good given your extensive research background.

2) Steps are not everything. Programs change year to year whether they screen as they experiment with the process. I'd say screens are usually in the 230s when they exist. 241 is below the average of many programs but by no means a rule out.

3) Impossible to tell you where to go. Too many variables. Academic vs community, location etc. Some areas like CA are harder to match out of state so if you're set on CA or TX then rotate there.

4) Crush MS3, get AOA, take step 2 and crush it. No number to aim for, just as high as possible. I think you'll be fine.

Step 1 243, top-25 med school, 10 ortho papers. Probably should go family med. :smack:

The step 1 score may take top-15 programs out of reach for you that you don't rotate at. That's about it.

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

youll be good

You think so?! Even though my research is pretty lacking??? I appreciate the response!

see charting outcomes and the interactive match thing.

How to kill aways:
Show up earlier than the residents, leave later than they do. Take overnight call every third night. Be polite. Don’t complain, ever. Be nice to everyone you meet. Be helpful without being overbearing or annoying. Read for cases and know anatomy of the approach. Your answer should always be “yes, I can help with that.”

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I'm wondering chances. 245 step 1 at lower/mid tier midwest school. Have 2, will likely have 3 or 4 ortho pubs by application time. Have 6 or 7 posters. School is h/p/f, I have honors in surg and neuro, p in the rest so far. Want to do 3 away rotations, but will only be able to do one for a letter the way my schedule is, the other 2 would be for audition.

Hey everyone, I'm wondering chances. 245 step 1 at lower/mid tier midwest school. Have 2, will likely have 3 or 4 ortho pubs by application time. Have 6 or 7 posters. School is h/p/f, I have honors in surg and neuro, p in the rest so far. Want to do 3 away rotations, but will only be able to do one for a letter the way my schedule is, the other 2 would be for audition.

I think you’ll be fine I’d just say be very careful with three away rotations. Burn out is a thing.

A lot of these posters have >3.9 GPAs. Is that essentially a requirement? Cause I'm not doing terrible or anything, but I'm no where near a 3.9 pre-clinical GPA

Hello everyone. What are the chances of an IMG with Step 1 score 251, matching in Ortho ?

Thanks for replying!
Can I increase my chances by doing a couple years of research? Or should I not try at all?

Thanks for replying!
Can I increase my chances by doing a couple years of research? Or should I not try at all?

just apply to all the programs (if you are dead set) and then apply to some FM.

Ortho is dope and I love it, but not worth multiple years of research for still a small chance of matching.

Just give it a go, hope it works out, but have a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Ortho is dope and I love it, but not worth multiple years of research for still a small chance of matching.

Just give it a go, hope it works out, but have a backup plan.

Thanks for the advice! :D

Anyone have recommendations on how to approach ortho research with minimal resources? I'm at a DO school so it's not like I can insert myself into an ongoing project in our ortho department because we don't have one.

Anyone have recommendations on how to approach ortho research with minimal resources? I'm at a DO school so it's not like I can insert myself into an ongoing project in our ortho department because we don't have one.

Take a year off and do a research fellowship

Wouldn't bother. As a DO your chances of matching into ortho are slim. The only ones that do research are MD students to get good fellowships. No point on doing research as a DO, imo.

Thanks for replying!

Look on OrthoGate. The current intern at Cleveland Clinic did two years of research and matched at that program. The current intern at UIC also had the same score as you and was a IMG and matched there after doing a research year. Most of these positions will open up in March.

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't bother. As a DO your chances of matching into ortho are slim. The only ones that do research are MD students to get good fellowships. No point on doing research as a DO, imo.

I'd say your statement is inaccurate for formerly AOA accredited programs, which still have mostly DO residents and will likely exhibit pro-DO bias in the future. For programs that have always been ACGME accredited I think that your statement is true.