Ortho Harvard Fellowship grad thats DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that what makes a good doctor is not the letters that follow him/her but the way a person interacts and treats patients. This post IS NOT here to begin another MD vs DO debate that has been done too many times to count on SDN.

I have read a few posts about ppl questioning whether or DOs can complete MD ortho residency spots. I just wanted to show this link http://www.reshealth.org/findadoctor/doctor_details.cfm?ID=2001 that shows a DO who went on to complete a MD fellowship in Ortho at Harvard.
I guess the point of my thread is to show a very small example that i can be done.

Did this guy work his a$$ off? Yes. Did he get fantastic board scores? Probably. Was luck involved? Maybe But the possiblity is there.

Shoot for the stars everyone - thats all any of us can do.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, fellowships for DO ortho residents are not that difficult to obtain, mainly b/c there are plenty of spots to go around. One of the attendings at Botsford did his residency at Botsford (a DO program) and completed a trauma fellowship at Mass General. When I rotated and interviewed at DO programs, most of the senoirs were doing fellowships in trauma, sports, spine, hand, joints, and foot and ankle all across the US. The most difficult part is getting an ortho spot be it MD or DO. From there you have more freedom to choose from a variety of specialties and have more discretion as to where you choose to do your fellowship. This does not in any way minimize the accomplishment of the above mentioned orthopod and as a DO, it is very refreshing to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
corona 247 said:
I am a firm believer that what makes a good doctor is not the letters that follow him/her but the way a person interacts and treats patients. This post IS NOT here to begin another MD vs DO debate that has been done too many times to count on SDN.

I have read a few posts about ppl questioning whether or DOs can complete MD ortho residency spots. I just wanted to show this link http://www.reshealth.org/findadoctor/doctor_details.cfm?ID=2001 that shows a DO who went on to complete a MD fellowship in Ortho at Harvard.
I guess the point of my thread is to show a very small example that i can be done.

Did this guy work his a$$ off? Yes. Did he get fantastic board scores? Probably. Was luck involved? Maybe But the possiblity is there.

Shoot for the stars everyone - thats all any of us can do.
Man, you just posted the profile of my doctor. He performed a surgery on my right foot 14 months ago (broken fibula). The guy is cool as cucumber, he also practices at Midwest Orthopedics group with Dr. David Garelick. He went to CCOM. He is the only D.O orthopedic Surgeon on the North side that I know of.

I wouldn't be too surprised if all that biomechanics and musculoskeletal stuff in DO school was beneficial in Ortho.

The MSK focus might help in radiology, too..