Ortho Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad_bunny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, can anyone comment on what the ortho job market is looking like right now? Because everyone does a fellowship nowadays, does that mean that it is hard to find a job because you are so specialized? Any input from attendings or residents on the job hunt would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, can anyone comment on what the ortho job market is looking like right now? Because everyone does a fellowship nowadays, does that mean that it is hard to find a job because you are so specialized? Any input from attendings or residents on the job hunt would be much appreciated.

Some large cities are getting saturated. Ortho is one of the few specialties that has a lot of private groups still around vs. hospital employed positions. Private groups don't advertise a lot of the time and just hire by word of mouth - so a lot of those jobs won't show up on an online job search. Usually private groups offer less up front than the hospital employed jobs, but they have potential long term to make partner, invest in ancillaries, etc. Plenty of jobs around if you are open to different areas and not locked in on certain cities.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished fellowship and started a new position August this year. Your answer depends on what exactly you want to do. Many smaller hospital systems are adding orthopedic departments/specialty hospitals. there area plethora of jobs in rural/smaller communities for generalists. Joints is also a very hot topic. for larger cities/academics you have a better chance if you are more specialized.

I am a sports guy and only wanted to do sports, little trauma call, cover collegiate athletics, smaller community life - very specific. so it took me about a year to find the right place. But I interviewed for about 20 places over a year period.

So - short answer.... their are tons of orthopedic jobs in general - but your criteria will obviously limit these opportunities.

Reactions: 5 users
I am a sports guy and only wanted to do sports, little trauma call, cover collegiate athletics, smaller community life - very specific.

I don't think I could dream of a more perfect job. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user