ortho job outlook

Started by bcmd14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bcmd14

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I'm a MSI in Canada. Ortho is one of the specialties that I'm interested in at this moment but I have some concerns about job outlook. I don't know if it's different than the states but I've heard from a few residents that there is a serious shortage of jobs for ortho which surprises me given that the baby boomers are starting to enter their senior ages and orthos seem to have an area that is well protected from other specialties. I understand that if I do pursue ortho it will be 10 years before I need to worry about a job but this is something that I should be thinking now. So can some of you who might have more insight comment on the job outlook? Thanks in advance!
 
Hi guys,

I'm a MSI in Canada. Ortho is one of the specialties that I'm interested in at this moment but I have some concerns about job outlook. I don't know if it's different than the states but I've heard from a few residents that there is a serious shortage of jobs for ortho which surprises me given that the baby boomers are starting to enter their senior ages and orthos seem to have an area that is well protected from other specialties. I understand that if I do pursue ortho it will be 10 years before I need to worry about a job but this is something that I should be thinking now. So can some of you who might have more insight comment on the job outlook? Thanks in advance!

When I was in 1st and 2nd year, job outlook is something I thought about a lot. But, you'll hear some many conflicting things, that you start to realize that no one has a crystal ball.

As for the current environment, I was speaking to an attending and was asking him about the job opportunities in our city, and how people really desire to live here, and my concern over being able to find a job. He described the situation as a pie - but instead of everyone divvying up slices of the pie, the pie just continues to get bigger and bigger.

Hopefully this answers your question, or at least keeps ortho in the running while you're thinking about your future. G'luck! :luck: