Ortho-K Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JekyllandHyde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I figured since I'm also a health professional and use SDN way too often, I'd try and get something of a second opinion.

I've been an Ortho-K patient since i was around 14 years old, and I'm 22 now. I was considering discontinuing these lenses since my vision has likely stabilized by now, I'm interested in LASIK in the future, and they're just so expensive.

Anyone want to give me thier opinion? How long will I have to wait for my vision to return to baseline? My big worry is being incapacitated by poor vision for a prolongued time while i discontinue my lenses and wait for my vision to return to baseline. Also, at what age would you say that someone would no longer reap the myopia-halting rewards of Ortho-K?

Thanks!

I would wait most likely 3months minimum for the cornea to return to baseline. The refractive surgeon would most likely be monitoring your corneal progress though.

Theoretically, patients should be able to benefit as long as the cornea tissue is still healthy (ie minus any pathology). Ortho-K has some very nice technology coming out. I have not yet seen the presbyopia designs but I have seen a couple successful monovision fits.

Wearing normal GP lenses still might not take you to your true baseline. Closer to it (much closer), but you'll have to be out of those for a few weeks too before getting LASIK. Nothing like discontinuing ortho-K lenses though.