Ortho para

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For benzene substitution reactions, is it very uncommon to have something at all of the ortho positions and para position?

I learned from organic odyssey that if you have nh2 as the activator you will have something at all ortho and para positions. Is nh2 the only activator that is capable of doing this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

NH2 is very strongly activating so for some reactions it will add to both O/P positions. NH2 is the only super strong activator you should ever care about unless youre an organic chemist, in which case you would know about any others.

Reactions: 1 user
IF you use the right reactions in order you can synthesize many combinations of ortho/para arrangements.

Reactions: 1 user
Activating = If the atom is bonded to a LESS electronegative element, it is activating (-OCH3, -CH3, -OR)

Deactivating = If the atom is bonded to a MORE electronegative element, it is deactivating (-NO2, -COOH, -CN)

When multiple substituents are present, the most strongly activating group does the directing.

I think you guys are missing what he is asking. I think he is asking if you have NH2 on a benzene ring and run an electrophilic aromatic substitution will it become trisubstituted at the end (i.e. Both ortho and the para will be filled), or if the reagent will end up only in the para position. I recall in ochem learning that for NH2 that will happen if there is excess reagent I think? Can someone clarify?