Ortho related research ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave12314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently finishing my MPH and starting Med School next year. I am very interested in going into orthopedic surgery and I was looking for some ideas on a research paper that is ortho related. I thought I'd ask it in this forum since residents might have more of an insight.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What you could do is look up the ortho attendings at your future med school and figure out which one you want to do research with. Then you email them and they will put you to work on a project.

In ACL reconstructions the grafts have been shown to re-vascularize.
Research question:

Does neural regeneration of mechanoreceptors also occur, and if so, is it to a functional level where actual meaningful proprioception is returned, or is it simply an academic finding?

Members don't see this ad :)
In ACL reconstructions the grafts have been shown to re-vascularize.
Research question:

Does neural regeneration of mechanoreceptors also occur, and if so, is it to a functional level where actual meaningful proprioception is returned, or is it simply an academic finding?

Do you think a (soon to be) medical student is going to be able to start up a project of that magnitude. First, it would require a ridiculous amount of dollars to fund for histology/antibody stains, pathologists reading of slides, storage of specimens, surgical retrieval and handling of specimens, etc... It would require a significant effort to pass this study through an IRB. It would take years to accumulate meaningful data as the only way to pass a study like this through an IRB would be on retrieval of specimens from failed ACL reconstructions, and since most fail reasonably early and neural tissue growth would likely be minimal. This proposal has so much basic science that would have to go into it before any clinically significant data could be extracted that it is not appropriate for a medical student, resident, or all but the most academic of attending physicians (MD/PhD).

I think the student should get in contact with an orthopaedic faculty at his medical school after he starts, and has gone through at least the first semester of medical school so that he has some understanding of the time commitments he will have before he delves into a project. It would be more likely that he starts with a project where he data=mines charts for somebody's study rather than a multi-million dollar NIH grant as principal investigator, don't you think?

Your passion for this topic is commendable but please go back to the PT/OT forums now. kthnxbai.

Hey guys,

I'm currently finishing my MPH and starting Med School next year. I am very interested in going into orthopedic surgery and I was looking for some ideas on a research paper that is ortho related. I thought I'd ask it in this forum since residents might have more of an insight.

Thanks in advance.

I would go online and get the names of all the ortho attendings at your home institution. Then type each name into pubmed. See who is publishing. The guy who has 10 papers published in 2012 is the guy you need to call. He will be busy and have work for you. And you will (most likely) get your name on papers. Wanting to start your own research project as a 1st year is commendable, but probably not going to happen. Your best bet is to link up with someone who needs help with ongoing projects.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions!

Agree with Skiz Knot. Worry about getting the grades first. Jumping on a project is a great idea and most easily done as a student. Cadaveric research is also a way that you can get around IRB. Most institutions give IRB exemptions for cadaveric projects unless you contact the family members for further information

I would go online and get the names of all the ortho attendings at your home institution. Then type each name into pubmed. See who is publishing. The guy who has 10 papers published in 2012 is the guy you need to call. He will be busy and have work for you. And you will (most likely) get your name on papers. Wanting to start your own research project as a 1st year is commendable, but probably not going to happen. Your best bet is to link up with someone who needs help with ongoing projects.

Agree. I did something similar, I think thats what landed me my residency spot.

OrthoPiper

Is research important for DO residencies? Or is it more based on rotations?

Research is great, but by no means mandatory. In the DO world getting into residency is more about your work ethic, ortho knowledge, can you gel with that program and at some places your board scores.

Research is great, but by no means mandatory. In the DO world getting into residency is more about your work ethic, ortho knowledge, can you gel with that program and at some places your board scores.

Board scores are super important wouldn't you say. I hear they use those to limit people for rotations. Of course, rotations are very important if you can get some based on stats.

Rotations are the most important, board scores second and not even sure where research ranks. If you shined during your rotations you should get interviews at all of those programs. My scores were sub 600 and I only received interviews from programs that I rotated even though I did a whole year of research with a primary author publication. Classmates who had 650+ received interviews from programs they did not rotate at. Also some programs are notorious for only accepting those students with very high scores...have not heard of programs only taking students with research. Smoke your boards if you can and bust-it on rotations and make sure you know your stuff and are easy to work with.

So is it possible to match into an AOA ortho residency without research then?

Rotations are the most important, board scores second and not even sure where research ranks. If you shined during your rotations you should get interviews at all of those programs. My scores were sub 600 and I only received interviews from programs that I rotated even though I did a whole year of research with a primary author publication. Classmates who had 650+ received interviews from programs they did not rotate at. Also some programs are notorious for only accepting those students with very high scores...have not heard of programs only taking students with research. Smoke your boards if you can and bust-it on rotations and make sure you know your stuff and are easy to work with.

Many programs will not even download your application from ERAS without having research. It plays a variable role in the actual ranking of applicants.

Many programs will not even download your application from ERAS without having research. It plays a variable role in the actual ranking of applicants.

You are talking about AOA programs? I thought it was more ACGME ortho that was research focused?