Ortho residency goal-step 1 and 2 plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncodoc786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For ortho residency application in 2021, is it a better idea to take Step 1 this summer, get a really good score, then take step 2 AFTER the application cycle/interviews, if the Step 1 score is really good? I've been told that it's better to take Step 1, then focus on research, then take interviews, then take step 2 after interviews as a potentially bad step 2 score will hurt more than help an application. On the other hand, will not taking the Step 2 at the time of interviews be a disadvantage for my application, since I may have passed (potentially aced) just Step 1? I'm in a middle tier medical school, AMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Best case, you take Step 2 so that your scores will be available shortly after you submit your initial residency applications. Then if your Step 2 is great, release it ASAP to help you get more interviews. If it's less stellar, release it after the interviews but still well before the rank deadlines.

Reactions: 1 user
Best case, you take Step 2 so that your scores will be available shortly after you submit your initial residency applications. Then if your Step 2 is great, release it ASAP to help you get more interviews. If it's less stellar, release it after the interviews but still well before the rank deadlines.
Thank you. Very helpful!