Ortho Surg = everyones dream til they..get it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamboozle

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All kids want it til they face the rigors. Waking from sleep and rounding, etc will tax you like no one else. Pimped by jacka$$ docs that have "been there" will eat you up. I wanted it til I saw the reality, then think, how in hell can one do it and remain sane? No wonder Ortho's have HUGE egos and demand HUGE salaries. Bros. and sis's, they earn it. But we could do with more down-to-earth guys in the field. Just my .02.

Members don't see this ad.

All kids want it til they face the rigors. Waking from sleep and rounding, etc will tax you like no one else. Pimped by jacka$$ docs that have "been there" will eat you up. I wanted it til I saw the reality, then think, how in hell can one do it and remain sane? No wonder Ortho's have HUGE egos and demand HUGE salaries. Bros. and sis's, they earn it. But we could do with more down-to-earth guys in the field. Just my .02.

The only difference between Ortho and any other surgical residency is that at the end of theirs is a new Chevy Impala, and at the end of ours is a new Bentley.

But we could do with more down-to-earth guys in the field.

Clearly you have sampling error. Ortho guys are renowned for being the most easy going surgeons in the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only difference between Ortho and any other surgical residency is that at the end of theirs is a new Chevy Impala, and at the end of ours is a new Bentley.

I'm gunning for a shiny not-quite-new-but-not-overly-beat-up Yugo on graduation day.

I'm gunning for a shiny not-quite-new-but-not-overly-beat-up Yugo on graduation day.

A year ago I would have told you to STFU and given you an internet bitch-slap.

But a few months back I got the scoop on how it is for you guys fresh out of residency. Ugly stuff for a junior attending in your field. Good luck.

A year ago I would have told you to STFU and given you an internet bitch-slap.

But a few months back I got the scoop on how it is for you guys fresh out of residency. Ugly stuff for a junior attending in your field. Good luck.

I know. I'm completely ******ed for becoming a plastic surgeon. It's not like you can just hang your shingle out in Manhattan, LA, or Chicago and suddenly have a badass cosmetic practice. But I'm gonna be one of those guys that does at least one fellowship so I can torture my residents by knowing everything under the sun about craniofacial, hand, pedi hand, and cosmetics.

Seriously, there's a guy like this at my program, and he will just kill you in the OR. He really does know everything and it's like he actually gets pissed if you can answer his questions.

Seriously, there's a guy like this at my program, and he will just kill you in the OR. He really does know everything and it's like he actually gets pissed if you can answer his questions.

People like that should be neutered.

Just my $0.02

:thumbup:

I have to disagree with the ego comment. I shadowed a Ortho joint replacement surgeon in Illinois who was by far the most friendly surgeon I've ever shadowed and he gave me the best experience I've had so far in an operating room. He invited me to go to another location with him to watch second surgery that he was doing. He was such a great guy. I also shadowed a ortho spine surgeon who was not as accommodating, but he still answered questions I had without acting like I was an annoyance. Both of these surgeons would stop the surgery for a couple seconds so I could move around and get a better look at the surgery without hands obstructing my view. I really have to say that my experience with orthopedic surgeons, although limited; has been the best of all the specialties that I've shadowed. Because of those two surgeons I am not very interested in orthopedics as one of my options.

Clearly you have sampling error. Ortho guys are renowned for being the most easy going surgeons in the hospital.

I have to respectfully disagree...the Urology guys are the most easy going. But then again...if you go into Urology, I think you have to have somewhat of a sense of humor (for anatomical reasons :laugh:).

Im pretty sure the battle is between these two...uro and ortho...:cool:

I wonder if your experience was good because you were not a resident in that surgeon's program. Some attendings will act one way with a pre-med, but another with one of their residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
do osteopathic ortho surgeons earn same as allopathic ortho surgeons?

MD surgeons get paid in dollars while DO surgeons get paid in pesos.

1945-dos-pesos-6-28-07.JPG

JACKPOT

Why's plastics any worse than any other surgical specialty for jr attendings? One would think all fields have to rely on insurance cases at the beginning. Maybe ortho's an exception cause they generate so much revenue, but do new ENTs really have it easier than plastics?

:)
How is Peninsula hospital [n.y] D.O Ortho program?
Whats the payscale of PG-1 yr?
Lets see if u can answer this one...

NO DO's still uses the barter system

Knee Scope xchange for 1 chicken
Shoulder scope Xchange for a pig
TKA Xchange for a goat....................But if you want cash then you can negociate.

C'mon maan think about it. Why would an MD get paid more for a case (ie THA ) than a DO. Isn't that the same surgery? Oh............. I get it. The DO still uses the Ivory that Chanley used in the 70's.

C'mon maan think about it. Why would an MD get paid more for a case (ie THA ) than a DO. Isn't that the same surgery? Oh............. I get it. The DO still uses the Ivory that Chanley used in the 70's.

That would be seriously badass.

All kids want it til they face the rigors. Waking from sleep and rounding, etc will tax you like no one else. Pimped by jack***** docs that have "been there" will eat you up. I wanted it til I saw the reality, then think, how in hell can one do it and remain sane?

Isn't this the case for any surgical residency?

GS, plastics, neurosurg, ortho, ENT, uro, ophtho (kidding, checking to see if you're paying attention)

Can anyone explain what this means to me? I thought residency salaries were pretty even all around.

Can anyone explain what this means to me? I thought residency salaries were pretty even all around.

Reading comprehension.

Reading comprehension.

Take some of your own advice and re-read the post you quoted.

Reactions: 1 user

What's an Ivory?

Who's Chanley?

Every ortho program is different. I have many friends who are ortho residents, and they are all pretty happy. Most of them are really laid back and easy going. Some are the classic jocks. They are only miserable when they rotate through ortho trauma. Otherwise, they get out at like 3-4 pm. Most faculties are also nice.

Every ortho program is different. I have many friends who are ortho residents, and they are all pretty happy. Most of them are really laid back and easy going. Some are the classic jocks. They are only miserable when they rotate through ortho trauma. Otherwise, they get out at like 3-4 pm. Most faculties are also nice.

3PM?

For ortho?

Career change for me. :p

How does orthopaedic residency differ from general surgery? It seems like the on-call resident in ortho would get more sleep than the on-call general surgery resident because he or she wouldn't be putting in central lines and emergent lap appy's.

How does orthopaedic residency differ from general surgery? It seems like the on-call resident in ortho would get more sleep than the on-call general surgery resident because he or she wouldn't be putting in central lines and emergent lap appy's.

Perhaps you don't live in a big city where there are cars [or a small city with farm equipment]...that happen to crash into things or one another at random hours of the day. You can't really tell the guy with a broken femur to wait til morning.

Perhaps you don't live in a big city where there are cars [or a small city with farm equipment]...that happen to crash into things or one another at random hours of the day. You can't really tell the guy with a broken femur to wait til morning.

That must be the case because after many nights on trauma I never saw anything more than some facial lacs from bar brawls. Everyone in my town pretty much tucks in to bed after 11:00.

The most common late night consults I find are:
1)Hip fractures or other fall associated events in the elderly
2)It seems like all the transfers from outside hospitals roll in about 4-5am
3)Motor vehicle trauma, especially during the summer.