Orthodontic program for foreign trained dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phornlarp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member of SDN. I am a foreign trained dentist and interested in orthodontic program in US. I would like to know which US university is famous in this program. Are orthodontic programs famous among the dentists in US? Do the foreign trained dentists have any chance to admit these programs? What play an important role in selection process? GRE? NBDE? Grade? TOEFL? Do I have any chance if I didn't admit the advance standing program. Are there any orthodontic programs favorable for foreign trained dentist.

Please advise me.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am also a new member here. I am a foreign trained dentist, studying for applying to an orthodontics program. Actually, I am already an trained orthodontist, graduated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. But my plans consist in validate my diploma to work with orthodontics in EUA, and I found out that the best option for me is to complete an residency program. In my reserach, until now, I found some residency programs that admits foreign trained dentists. If you go to ADEA`s website (http://programpages.passweb.org/search) and enter "orthodontics" in the field "program type" you will get all the orthodontics residency programs. Depending on the state you are planning to apply, you can click and it is well described all the requirements that each university have, and usually in the last item they mentioned "additional requirements for international applicants" , so there you can find if the university of your choice admits foreign trained dentists and what it is required. Because all of this vary among the universities. In overall, I think the majority of them primary value a high TOEFL and NBDE (some of them only part 1) scores. I hope I helped with something.