Orthodontic Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is more for those in ortho residecny. I'd like to know which textbooks your reading? I currently have a 'Proffit' Contemporary Orthodontics. I'm considering purchasing a publication by either 'Graber', "McLaughlin' or 'Witzig'. I'm considering these only because they seem to be the most popular within the search engine's, but I'll also consider any others you can recommend. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT mention that you read Witzig if you are planning on applying for ortho. I'd go for Graber.

Hahaha. I won't even buy the book now. What's the issue with Witzig though? Is it outdated information, I know there are no new editions for his text?

Members don't see this ad :)
He and the "real" orthodontists didn't get along. My understanding is that he argued that traditional orthodontics involving premolar exos caused TMD, which led to some lawsuits. Mclaughlin is very good too but not much use unless you're actually treating cases.

Bishara is also good - it's easier to read than Graber for sure.

Mulligan's "Common Sense Mechanics" is a good biomechanics book.

I also like the latest book by Nanda (not the miniscrew one).

Are you accepted into residency or applying? Proffit and Bishara are a great place to start.

Graber is hit or miss, some chapters good, others not so much. I wouldn't get this until you are assigned to read it in your residency.

Some other stuff I've liked:

• Mulligan's books are great. I'm trying to get my hands on the newest version...

• I liked Cope's "orthoTADs book", kinda hard to find and very pricey.

Not a book, but the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics is usually a good read. The AJO-DO is obviously good. Maybe your dental school or library has access.

I also like an audio CD series that condense lots of journal article each month. Practical reviews in Orthodontics. Again you'll probably only get this through your residency program if they subscribe.

But until you start your residency, I would just read a little Proffit and Bishara if you feel the urge, or better yet just play some video games, hang out with friends, and enjoy life before the rigors of ortho residency.

What else have other residents liked?

Proffit of course. Mulligan is excellent. Larry Andrews book is good as you will more thoroughly understand the principals of bracket placement (less wire bending). I think the JCO is the best journal out there for clinical ortho. I also have Mclaughlin but have only read the first chapter so I can’t really comment. I have seen some of his lectures though which seem to be excellent.