Orthodontics Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UOP:
Tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year for the graduate orthodontics program is $88,986.

UPENN:
2012-2013 Orthodontics Residency Educational Expenses
Annual Fee $70,024

USC:
Direct Costs Year 1 Year 2 Year 3
Tuition $60,214 $71,938 $71,938

Seriously? How can anyone pay this? Dental school is approaching 400K now. We are looking at 700K for private dental and then ortho training? This is nuts!! Can any one chime in?? The only people who can pay for this are the rich. Un-freaking real.

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously? How can anyone pay this? Dental school is approaching 400K now. We are looking at 700K for private dental and then ortho training? This is nuts!! Can any one chime in?? The only people who can pay for this are the rich. Un-freaking real.

:eek:

You can thank unlimited educational loan hand outs for this one. Don't like it? Don't do it.

Of course I'm not going to. But who can afford to train in these careers????? Who is paying this? So much for education being "accessible and affordable."

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course I'm not going to. But who can afford to train in these careers????? Who is paying this? So much for education being "accessible and affordable."

When you mess with the free market you artificially inflate certain goods. In this case these goods are education. I should start a petition to ban all federal student loans. Tuition rates would drop like rocks in the next 3-10 years.

It's crazy. The only people I can see doing it are the HPSP people or those who have rich parents.

There are other less expensive ortho programs in the country. You don't have to go to those expensive programs.

Vanderbilt ortho pays almost 50k a year for 3 years.

There are other less expensive ortho programs in the country. You don't have to go to those expensive programs.

true, but this is SDN, so we only talk about the extremes as tho they are the only option! get with the program. (sarcasm)

That's true--there are cheaper programs. But there are not very many of them. I believe most programs charge tuition. In other words, good luck getting into a stipend-paying program. You may spend the rest of your life trying to get one of those spots.

That's true--there are cheaper programs. But there are not very many of them. I believe most programs charge tuition. In other words, good luck getting into a stipend-paying program. You may spend the rest of your life trying to get one of those spots.

Not if you're amazing.

Good lord, check out the cost at UNLV:

Program Expenses
Tuition: $200,000 (8-trimesters 30+ month program)
$74,000 per year
Clinic Usage fees: $5,000 per Fall Semester
* Periodic tuition increases made at the discretion of the Board of Regents

http://dentalschool.unlv.edu/ortho.html#expenses

Currently Vanderbilt has no tuition, and has a stipend for the 2 year duration of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sublimazing,

What kind of offers are you seeing out of the gate? Are these corporate office offers? Or are these from established practices (ie, associateship leading to partnership/buyout)?

Here's a post I put over on dental town re: the tuition issue. check it out.

I dont know why you bumped, what do you expect people to talk about. Its a ton of money. Not every school is that much money. Even the ones that are a bunch the cost/benefit is still in your favor to do it. Not very exciting

Undergrad loans + Dental School loans + Residency loans + Opening Private Practice loan...

The $1 million debt route for sure - at least for those who are thinking about dentistry as a career choice.

How much do you expect to earn as an established ortho?

You can always go back later. If you don't have the means just go back later.

Reactions: 1 user

The guys in my area (referral network) take home before taxes near 300k working 3-4 days a week, so pretty good I think. I have lunch once a month with the group the office Im at refers to and they all say that there income has been going down year over year do to economy and more GP's taking on ortho.

I think he has deep regrets about not going into dentistry.

I dont know why you bumped, what do you expect people to talk about. Its a ton of money. Not every school is that much money. Even the ones that are a bunch the cost/benefit is still in your favor to do it. Not very exciting

An ortho I've been shadowing, who is well established (17yrs of practice) was open with me by sharing his average earnings the past few yrs was ~ 450k @ ~4.5 clinical days per week depending on the year. In real terms he shared that this is marginally lower than 6 years ago pre-housing crash.

Last edited: