Orthopaedic fellowship in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leighton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in Uk as an Ortho registrar and have an Indian Passport. I have gained MRCS and DNB Orth. From my CV and references i have been offered a sportsmed fellowship in winnipeg, Canada from Jan 2009. Should i jump at this oppurtunity? how difficult is it to get this kind of fellowship?

What visa is needed? Any forseeable problems?Thus programme pays 50000can dollars/annum, is this enough for basic living costs? NEVER BEFORE THOUGHT OF CANADA-ANY INFO PLEASE

Members don't see this ad.

Winnepeg is not the most desirable city to live in (very very cold in the winter, but i have friends there who tolerate it), but i can't comment on the specifics of the training program. You would be best to try and contact a previous fellow that's done the program (maybe the program can give you names??)

50,000 is enough to live on, however it's low for a fellow. You will be making less than the residents. Can you bill assists on top of 50,000 or is that all?

You should also ask them if they are paying your CMPA dues (malpractice insurance) or if you are responsible. It's about $1000/year. There may be other fees such as your provincial medical licence.

This website gives the salaries listed for residents and some other useful information for you.

http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1r3_univ_manitoba_e.shtml

Thanks a lot for the info tussy. I will ask for any previous fellows and about the medical protection fees.

I would say this position is difficult to secure, I would consider myself lucky. Only someone highly qualified could obtain it. Many people would jump at this chance. Good luck and congrats.