Orthopaedic Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FionaS

Kitty sitting
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me, oh brainy ones!

Apologies in advance for less than wonderful clinical description, it's late and I can't kick my brain into Ortho gear at the moment...

This is my problem. I want to know if anyone else in the world does a particular type of operation that has no specific name...

Here's the story. My 24 yo patient (who I will be getting a full Hx on tomorrow, I came across them for the first time in theatre) managed to somehow shoot himself in the knee with a shot gun. Cue, one buggered knee. The medial condyle is non-existent, and he managed to shear off a nice large triangle of bone starting from the middle of the articular surface of the femur right up to about mid-diaphysis on the posterior.

Whoops. So, he had the fragment fixed with screws and plate, no problem, and was left with gentamicin beads where his condyle would have been...

This is where I come in. One week post injury, we go back in to try and give him an actual knee joint.

Take one head of femur from the bone bank. Shave down to fit roughly where the condyle should be. Fix with screws. Then ream and fit a humeral head prosthesis. More bone graft around the edges, and voila, one nice shiny new articular surface (well, for a few years...)

Basically this is an ORIF fracture-dislocation of the knee.

But the question is, what to put in as the search term on google etc to find other examples of exactly this operation?! They can't be common...

Members don't see this ad.

FionaS said:
Help me, oh brainy ones!

Apologies in advance for less than wonderful clinical description, it's late and I can't kick my brain into Ortho gear at the moment...

This is my problem. I want to know if anyone else in the world does a particular type of operation that has no specific name...

Here's the story. My 24 yo patient (who I will be getting a full Hx on tomorrow, I came across them for the first time in theatre) managed to somehow shoot himself in the knee with a shot gun. Cue, one buggered knee. The medial condyle is non-existent, and he managed to shear off a nice large triangle of bone starting from the middle of the articular surface of the femur right up to about mid-diaphysis on the posterior.

Whoops. So, he had the fragment fixed with screws and plate, no problem, and was left with gentamicin beads where his condyle would have been...

This is where I come in. One week post injury, we go back in to try and give him an actual knee joint.

Take one head of femur from the bone bank. Shave down to fit roughly where the condyle should be. Fix with screws. Then ream and fit a humeral head prosthesis. More bone graft around the edges, and voila, one nice shiny new articular surface (well, for a few years...)

Basically this is an ORIF fracture-dislocation of the knee.

But the question is, what to put in as the search term on google etc to find other examples of exactly this operation?! They can't be common...

Sounds pretty close to a knee replacement to me with a few minor adjustments. But I'll move this to the Ortho forum where you'll likely get more informed answers to your query.

Maybe look up femoral allograft and total knee arthroplasty. I just googled it and got tons of stuff. Sometimes this is done after failed TKA and a revision procedure is performed.

Hope it helps.