Orthopaedic Surgery Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that this field is relatively easier to publish in. But before I believe what I hear, just wanted to throw this out there--is this true? Is it really easier to publish in orthopaedic surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

A few ideas:
The impact of energy drinks on bench press, a randomized control trial

Maximizing your fantasy football statistics, a case study

No that's not true in my experience. I've done research and publications in general surgery, radiology, and ortho. Ortho was the only one in my experience that I had rejected (multiple times, at that). My PI in ortho had a similar history of rejections and settling to publish in lesser journals.

My rejected project was a clinical project - I imagine basic science/transitional ortho projects may be easier to get published than clinical research.

This is just my experience and may not be representative of the field versus others as a whole. If ortho is what you want to do, then do research in it. However, if you want a field that's "easy to publish in", all fields have shoddy journals that take the rejections of the bigger journals. Find a PI at your institution that has a good publishing history.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No that's not true in my experience. I've done research and publications in general surgery, radiology, and ortho. Ortho was the only one in my experience that I had rejected (multiple times, at that). My PI in ortho had a similar history of rejections and settling to publish in lesser journals.

My rejected project was a clinical project - I imagine basic science/transitional ortho projects may be easier to get published than clinical research.

This is just my experience and may not be representative of the field versus others as a whole. If ortho is what you want to do, then do research in it. However, if you want a field that's "easy to publish in", all fields have shoddy journals that take the rejections of the bigger journals. Find a PI at your institution that has a good publishing history.
Isn't clinical research easier to publish in though?

Apples and oranges. Yes, in general, clinical research is easier to do, complete, and publish compared to a basic science project. It's been my experience that basic science has an easier threshold to be accepted in clinical journal, compared to basic science in a good basic science journal. I'm not trying to compare basic science vs clinical, I'm trying to point out that it has been my experience that if you happen to do a basic science project and try to publish it in a clinical journal, you probably can get away with it being more shoddy (design of study, quality of manuscript) than you would in a basic science journal.

Again, this is just my experience, hope I cleared it up.

I don't see how ortho projects would be any easier than other surgical fields. It will also depend on the type of research, methodologies, statistical techniques, and how well the manuscript is written. JBJS is relatively hard and reviewer process takes a long time. But there are other ortho journals that are relatively easier to publish. I've gotten a couple papers accepted in SPINE and it was a relatively easy accept with minor revisions. This of course won't apply if you are working on hip/knee arthroplasty stuff, but keep in mind reviewer luck matters as much as which journal you submit.