Orthopedic books for interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanky1982

Irish eyes are smiling
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search on the matter, nothing of significance in the last 4 or 5 years posted on this. Reason I ask is that as a new ortho intern I found out we can choose a book/set that I will not have to pay for. I am looking to get a book that I will use heavily in my first few years as a resident. Of course I will add to my library, but funds are tight and I want to get the biggest bang from this opportunity.

What I have currently have (which most MS4's should have) is Hoppenfeld, Netter's ortho, Miller's, and Handbook of fx's. The list of books we could choose from was quite extensive so I was hoping I could get some direction.

The 3 that jumped out at me were Skeletal Trauma, Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults, and Campbell's Operative Orthopedics. The only reason these jumped out is that it seems so many seniors have these books. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The 3 that jumped out at me were Skeletal Trauma, Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults, and Campbell's Operative Orthopedics. The only reason these jumped out is that it seems so many seniors have these books. Any advice would be appreciated.
R&G OR Skeletal Trauma are good choices for general knowledge, and Campbell's is still a great resource, but can be a little hard to digest and contains a lot of "historical" procedures.

There is a new book that has been a hit at my program. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery - 4 volume set edited by Wiesel.
Concise descriptions of pathology/epidemiology with step by step descriptions of hundreds and hundreds of procedures with thousands of color photos and drawings. Much more useful than Campbell's, IMHO. Designed for residents to include the knowledge needed to do well on OITE and pass boards.

http://www.amazon.com/Operative-Tec...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309736601&sr=1-3

R&G OR Skeletal Trauma are good choices for general knowledge, and Campbell's is still a great resource, but can be a little hard to digest and contains a lot of "historical" procedures.

There is a new book that has been a hit at my program. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery - 4 volume set edited by Wiesel.
Concise descriptions of pathology/epidemiology with step by step descriptions of hundreds and hundreds of procedures with thousands of color photos and drawings. Much more useful than Campbell's, IMHO. Designed for residents to include the knowledge needed to do well on OITE and pass boards.

http://www.amazon.com/Operative-Tec...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309736601&sr=1-3

Thank you, Skiz knot. I'll look into that set myself.

Not to toot my own horn, but my thread for MSIIIs/IVs is probably at least a reasonable list of books for Interns as well in my brief experience:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=796568

For an intern, I would particularly recommend Handbook of fractures (a MUST in your lab coat at ALL times), Tolerances (a MUST), Pocket Orthopaedica (a MUST), Ortho Intern Survival Guide, Gen Surg Intern Survival Guide (these two good for blood products, lytes replacement, d/c summary templates, etc), some kind of pocket pharmacopia (cell phones have a habit of dying in the middle of the night), and of course Skiz knots' recs.

For PGYI: I completely agree with Skiz knot: Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults is a required set:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwood-Gree...6773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326670755&sr=8-1

At my institution the Intern experience with Ortho is on the Trauma service, and this book is a must read. It's probably (certainly?) available in your call room anyway.

Sorry for bumping a thread that is kind of old, but this topic is probably of interest to lots of the other juniors who read these forums, and I don't come back here too often.

Hope this helps!

Best,
jb, PGY-2 Ortho

Last edited: