Orthopedic Hardware removal protocol....suggestions / recommendations for pre-operative evaluation for removal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torsed

Deo Vindice.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for practice suggestions / standard of care for orthopedic hardware removal.

At my community hospital we have several orthopedic surgeons who remove spinal hardware frequently and about 90 percent of the time it goes smoothly, sometimes they have to break a screw shaft or a rod, but that is somewhat rare.

The spinal hardware that comes out is pretty consistent and there is little variation may times, usually rods / screws / sometimes a clamp / and bolt type washer screws.

The other day, we had a hardware removal from a lumbar spine where there was no corresponding (hex / bit) to remove certain screws and the surgeon modified equipment to get it out and broke the screw heads. In my non orthopedic surgeon view, these specific screws were not star shaped where the bit goes like many I see, but seemed older with more of a square hole in the screw head for the drill bit. One broke, but all the pieces were removed.

Admin / management got bent out of shape because many surgical trays were opened looking for one. I said most universal screw removal kits usually have all these bits, but apparently not. I said to my eye (and even compared it to screws from other surgeries that we had) these particular screws seem much of and older brand I haven't seen before.

Was looking for opinions and commentary. I am sorry for the butchering of these descriptions, but I am a pathologist trying to help the orthopedic surgeon out.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess what I'm getting at is there a way we could do better pre-op to determine hardware the OR may not have the proper trays/equipment for.

I guess what I'm getting at is there a way we could do better pre-op to determine hardware the OR may not have the proper trays/equipment for.
Typically we look at the previous op reports to know what exactly is in there, then you can have that companies rep on standby.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes, there's no op report, because the initial procedure was done a long time ago, or in a country far, far away. Opening many trays is really no big deal. If the specific tool can't be identified preoperatively, a universal set takes care of it 98% of the time. After that, bronze-age tools are brought into play.

It's impossible for a surgeon to look good when removing hardware...

TT