Orthopedic/Neuro Trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I know that orthopedic surgery and neurosurgery are both difficult and competitive specialties to get into. Is there something like "ortho trauma surgery" or "neuro trauma surgery"? Are these less competitive? Or are they some kind of sub specialization where you would have to get into ortho or neuro first?

Members don't see this ad.

Orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons can both deal with and specialize in treating trauma to the systems operate on. IDK about competitiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure you can do fellowships in both and I bet you could be on call for ortho trauma for a group without formalized training. I feel like neurosurgeons pick up a lot of trauma, ie depressed skull fracture---> epidural without fellowship

To directly answer your question: They are no less competitive, you have to first match into an orthopedic surgery or neurosurgery residency position which are very competitive. After you complete the residency program (usually 5 years for ortho, 7 for neuro), you can subspecialize in an area such as trauma by applying and completing a year long fellowship.

There was a fellow in the Lvl 1 Trauma Center where I worked who was addicted to trauma cases. He did a residency in neurosurgery, and a fellowship in Critical Care Surgery w/ the Dept. of Orthopaedics.

Matching into either ortho or neurosurg tho...fml

Reactions: 1 user