ER Level 1 Trauma Center Volunteer or "Patient Safety Rounder" for Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twixmoment

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer at a hospice and wanted to get some more hospital-based volunteering experience. Unfortunately, the free clinics in my area simply aren't taking volunteers that fit within my schedule. Just interviewed with a hospital and have two options:

1) ER Level 1 Trauma Center Volunteer - Was told that I would likely need to have "extra initiative" here.
Key tasks are:
-Discharge Support Closet, Supplies/Wheelchairs, Stocking, specimens, transport medical records, cleaning, and (potentially) assisting with patient comfort (provide urinal, blankets, pillows, magazines, retrieve food trays, offer juice, water and crackers)

2) Patient Safety Rounder - Visit patient rooms, listen to how we can potentially improve patient experience. Relay findings to internal reporting system.

Although the second seems more direct patient experience, the first one does sound a bit more interesting and may give more experience on what it's like to be/work in a patient care setting. The concern is it's unclear how much of my work will be stocking/cleaning versus actually engaging with patients. Also, a little nervous about just getting ignored as the volunteer there unless I basically force myself into support situations. The concern with the second option is that I'm not really sure how much I'll be able to engage with doctors/nurses if at all. While it might give direct patient experience, it seems like I should at least get some of that to talk about in the ER.

Also, I really need to get a LOR from a healthcare provider and it seems like the ER one might be better for that? Unsure.

Thoughts? Are both fine?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, hospital volunteering is very much so what you make of it. While the actual position description for #2 is more direct contact with patients, you can also get similar experience with the first position, which seems like it is more based on supply/resource stocking. In #1 you can still (with supervisor approval) likely round to rooms to ask patients if there is anything they need that will make them more comfortable. In doing so, you can strike up some more meaningful conversations and attempt to provide comfort and companionship to those seeking it, much like with hospice volunteering.

I think it's great to get exposure to the hospital setting for the sake of having it, but this could come in a lot of forms, like those you mentioned above, as well as shadowing or a paid position, like PCT or EMT/tech if you have the certifications. I would not worry as much about feeling like you need to diversify your patient contact experiences to multiple different settings. Like most folks on here will tell you, it seems that the depth of your experiences are much more important than breadth, and will less likely come across as "box-checking." If hospice volunteering is very meaningful to you, I would keep up with that and not stress as much about whether or not your hospital exposure is super likely to be "considered" clinical. Do what feels meaningful and you will have lots to write and talk about!

Reactions: 1 user
I currently volunteer at a hospice and wanted to get some more hospital-based volunteering experience. Unfortunately, the free clinics in my area simply aren't taking volunteers that fit within my schedule. Just interviewed with a hospital and have two options:

1) ER Level 1 Trauma Center Volunteer - Was told that I would likely need to have "extra initiative" here.
Key tasks are:
-Discharge Support Closet, Supplies/Wheelchairs, Stocking, specimens, transport medical records, cleaning, and (potentially) assisting with patient comfort (provide urinal, blankets, pillows, magazines, retrieve food trays, offer juice, water and crackers)

2) Patient Safety Rounder - Visit patient rooms, listen to how we can potentially improve patient experience. Relay findings to internal reporting system.

Although the second seems more direct patient experience, the first one does sound a bit more interesting and may give more experience on what it's like to be/work in a patient care setting. The concern is it's unclear how much of my work will be stocking/cleaning versus actually engaging with patients. Also, a little nervous about just getting ignored as the volunteer there unless I basically force myself into support situations. The concern with the second option is that I'm not really sure how much I'll be able to engage with doctors/nurses if at all. While it might give direct patient experience, it seems like I should at least get some of that to talk about in the ER.

Also, I really need to get a LOR from a healthcare provider and it seems like the ER one might be better for that? Unsure.

Thoughts? Are both fine?
Personally I would say the second one. They are both clinical, but you're more likely to get patient interaction and stories to talk about during interviews with the second, which I would argue is more valuable. I got very little out of restocking the ER, but talking to the patients always made me feel more valuable.

Secondly, why do you need a LOR from a healthcare provider? Aside from that, don't overestimate your ability to converse with ER physicians just from volunteering in the ER. I volunteered in the ER for ~6 months and never had a conversation with an ER physician due to their business. All of my conversations were with nurses/admin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked at an in-home clinic (private hire) as an aide (disperse meds, bathing, toileting, feeding) which eventually turned into hospice (may they rest in peace).

Also done crisis hotline which is 100% helping people calm down, learn coping strategies, asses for SI, direct to professional resources, or getting the EMTs/Police involved for a rescue ((we hand off to the psychologist for 'hot callers')).

Through all of this I still feel like I've needed to do some hospital work, but I had to move recently so the job I had lined up didn't pan out. Also because I never got to be an EMT from a long time ago because another life issue prevented me. (I really wanted to do EMT).

I'm an older non-trad so I feel like having hospital work is expected of me, but people keep telling me that I'm good to go on clinical experience. But I'm still going to figure out a way to get some hospital stuff in, even if it looks like a checkbox, because even a few weeks somewhere is still a few weeks somewhere. It's something I've wanted to do and I still get pangs of regret whenever I see an ambulance go by.

Given your situation I would consider staying at the hospice if that's really what you enjoy. If you have a burning desire to go to a hospital like I have, then it will be up to you. #1 you seem like you will be getting a "ground level" idea of what is involved in making a hospital work, even if you may not have as much pt experience. #2 obviously it seems you would have more pt experience.

Really since you already have hospice, would just come down to whichever you are more interested in. If you are equally interested, then flip a coin, or stay where you are.

If I was an adcom, as someone who currently works in the ER, #1 sounds lame, but #2 actually sounds really interesting and much more impactful. Would make a great entry on your application. Go with #2. If concern is exposure to medicine and providers, neither one will accomplish that. Would recommend CNA/MA/EMT instead.

Key tasks are:

Thoughts? Are both fine?
Having worked/volunteered in both settings, I can tell you:

1: What you do and how much experience you obtain is highly dependent upon who is working while you're there. So it's kinda hit or miss. You can get a lot of experience talking to pts with this one (remember, patients are people!) and that will depend upon on how chatty/friendly you are. A lot of patients will be NPO pending further testing (not the case if your area is not the ED).

2: You will not be ignored. The #1 thing that I did in this type of position was ask if anyone needed anything/needed help w/anything. Usually they would ask for a nurse or a physician, and you can relay the information to those people. It is very rewarding to be able to communicate vital needs (remember, the patients are there because they're SICK), and you can learn a lot.

ER tech is another option that will give you a broader scope in the ED, but most places require a valid EMT license.

In conclusion, #1 is probably your best bet. As has been said above, volunteering is what you make of it. So if you are allowed to talk to the patients in this situation, I would go with that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.