Orthopedic surgery vs. dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcerm16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a third year medical student having a tough time deciding between dermatology and orthopedic surgery. I would appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons of each.

Members don't see this ad.

Orthopaedics is hands down the best field in medicine and everything, including derm, pales in comparison. Why don't you tell us a little why you like each one. Typically when I hear people picking between a surgical specialty and Derm/Rads I instantly think they would prefer to do surgery but are worried about the lifestyle.

I chose ortho because I love the variety in procedures/specialties. You operate on everything below the mandible. Cases range from wide open, minimally invasive, microsurgical, and arthroscopic. The outcomes are great and the patients really appreciate what you can do for them. You don't waste very much time with stupid BS, you have a problem and you fix it and move on. The money is great (for now) and the lifestyle is relatively flexible post residency.

My perception of Derm: You have a specialty that can be summed up in a rhyme a child could learn. You do procedures a med student can do. Acne is boring and will make up half of your private practice business. Cosmetics are boring to me (I know you don't HAVE to do cosmetics). You have ultimate flexibility on lifestyle. Great money and can do cash only practice. They do some great things for people with very uncomfortable and disfiguring skin conditions but I think the majority of their day is spent prescribing acutane, freezing off Seb Kers, Actinic Kers, and warts and putting steroids or antifungals on everything else. Also derm is under attack by NP's and chances are they will break into the field.

These are just my perceptions, please no flames about me oversimplifying derm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every medical $tudent need$ to make tough decision$ when choo$ing a $uitable profe$$ion.

If $ is the issue at hand (which I suspect it is), I would go ortho on this one. With all the changes in health care that will be implemented in the next 5-10 years, when the smoke clears, I think surgery will be the only field where you can make anywhere near $250k. I'm willing to bet my money that dermatology is going to get cut heftily, unless you're doing cash only. But, the cash only market is brutal. Anyone can offer those services, and it's near impossible to sustain a practice on it.

Every medical $tudent need$ to make tough decision$ when choo$ing a $uitable profe$$ion.
LOL! I agree though...one of the additional reasons why ortho is so great is that they have little to know encroachment from any other speciality or midlevel. No one else wants or can to bone and muscle. Plastics and ENT mix often, urology/obgyn/gsurg mix sometimes, CT surg and cards mix. I think neurosurg is pretty safe. But yeah, there is no encroachment, the patients are very grateful, and I think the personalities in the field are great.

To be honest though, I think it really boils down to whether you can stand doing something that is more like internal medicine. I know that I can't do that. I am happier in the OR. If clinic makes you happier than the OR, then your decision is made.

It's not all about the money. I've been on the derm road for several years due to interest, great mentors, and exposure to the field. But recently was exposed to ortho (via my kid breaking his arm pretty badly) and have since done a lot of exploration into ortho. My considering of both fields is not money related but more "what do I really want to do with my career/life" related. As it stands now, my first 4th year rotation will be ortho and then derm. I'm just not sure if I like the OR enough...

I think interest in two fields is pretty common but, in the end, I will choose the one that is the best fit personality and interest wise. I certainly wouldn't do ortho or derm just for money. Just me.

Kinda odd when people's "interest" just happens to fall on the highest paying specialties, no? I'd like to see a MS with high scores trying to decide between primary care and psychiatry.

Either way, interest over money. One lasts. The other will disappear under the tides of reform. Kinda funny how few students understand this.

I think interest in two fields is pretty common but, in the end, I will choose the one that is the best fit personality and interest wise. I certainly wouldn't do ortho or derm just for money. Just me.

It's not uncommon to be interested in two fields, but you don't find that split coming between derm and ortho very often. It's uncommon enough that one is perfectly reasonable to question why one is intere$ted in those fields.

It's not uncommon to be interested in two fields, but you don't find that split coming between derm and ortho very often. It's uncommon enough that one is perfectly reasonable to question why one is intere$ted in those fields.

Fine to question it. Guess I'm unique in that way. But even if it were about $$, so what?

Rural family practice.

Fine to question it. Guess I'm unique in that way. But even if it were about $$, so what?

Well if you think that love of money rather than genuine interest will sustain your* interest in that career for the rest of your life, then awesome. But it usually doen't work that way.

*I'm using this in the general sense; I'm not calling you out.

Well if you think that love of money rather than genuine interest will sustain your* interest in that career for the rest of your life, then awesome. But it usually doen't work that way.

*I'm using this in the general sense; I'm not calling you out.

I hear you and agree. If someone wants to go for the cash without the interest then that is their problem.

I concur. There are virtually no similarities between these two fields.

In derm if you are bored with moles you start doing mohs, if you don't have a spine for orthopaedics you can take the boot.

Whoever says money is NOT an issue is a liar. Who puts themselves through hell doing medical school and then residency to earn just a little bit above jobs where less training is required. You should be compensated for the risks and services you provide. With that said, Money should not be the top priority in terms of what you want to do until your 6 feet deep or spread across the ocean. Plus as mentioned before, as the time changes the compensation will vary with it. Passion is what should determine what specialty we decide to enter.
Who are we to judge those as money hungry people just because they like two vastly different fields? Is there a rule book to picking a specialty that I am unaware of? Please send me the link.
I do not know the OP or anyone else's reasons, but I AM interested in Orthopedic Surgery and Dermatology. Dermatology is not going anywhere. I am fascinated by the diverse conditions that affect people's skin. Skin cancer will continue to rise because people lack the mental faculty to protect themselves. I want a specialty where I can feel useful. Yes there is a cosmetic aspect of Derm but there are many other aspects. Go do your research. It would not be a medical field if it could so easily be marginalized as a field full of overcompensated dull and shallow people. We live in a society where people care about their appearance, maybe too much. However, correcting skin problems can deeply impact someone's life. Neglected skin can lead to great suffering. The day that I found out I had a smidgeon of an interest in Dermatology was when I went to my Dermatologist for treatment for a skin condition. The way I felt when I came out of her office is beyond words.
I originally planned on becoming a surgeon. I still want to become one, specifically an Orthopedic surgeon. I do not like Neuro because I find it very depressing.This summer I have been shadowing the Chief of Trauma Surgery at a hospital in my city and it has been the single greatest experience in my life so far. I met some Ortho residents and these were the first happy surgeons I encountered. Their personalities matched mine to a point of disgust, I felt at home. Orthopedics is not only diverse, but the experiences are so rewarding. Ortho is like a big box of fun. I feel I could be useful because I have great manual dexterity (credit to a lifetime of video games) and I love the OR. I got a rush just from watching these guys perform different procedures day in and day out then talk about them afterwards as if they just saw a movie. I feel that surgery will challenge me more, if I do not do surgery I feel like I'll be making a difference but maybe "settling" if that makes any sense given the competitive scope of Dermatology.
OP I too am confused, but I'm leaning towards Orthopedics. To each his own, you'll be able to decide once you go into those rotations.

I think I might be sick though, because I even watch surgeries on ORLive when I'm home. Even if it's not as detailed as being in the OR staring at the surgeons do great work.

Whoever says money is NOT an issue is a liar. Who puts themselves through hell doing medical school and then residency to earn just a little bit above jobs where less training is required. You should be compensated for the risks and services you provide. With that said, Money should not be the top priority in terms of what you want to do until your 6 feet deep or spread across the ocean. Plus as mentioned before, as the time changes the compensation will vary with it. Passion is what should determine what specialty we decide to enter.
Who are we to judge those as money hungry people just because they like two vastly different fields? Is there a rule book to picking a specialty that I am unaware of? Please send me the link.
I do not know the OP or anyone else's reasons, but I AM interested in Orthopedic Surgery and Dermatology. Dermatology is not going anywhere. I am fascinated by the diverse conditions that affect people's skin. Skin cancer will continue to rise because people lack the mental faculty to protect themselves. I want a specialty where I can feel useful. Yes there is a cosmetic aspect of Derm but there are many other aspects. Go do your research. It would not be a medical field if it could so easily be marginalized as a field full of overcompensated dull and shallow people. We live in a society where people care about their appearance, maybe too much. However, correcting skin problems can deeply impact someone's life. Neglected skin can lead to great suffering. The day that I found out I had a smidgeon of an interest in Dermatology was when I went to my Dermatologist for treatment for a skin condition. The way I felt when I came out of her office is beyond words.
I originally planned on becoming a surgeon. I still want to become one, specifically an Orthopedic surgeon. I do not like Neuro because I find it very depressing.This summer I have been shadowing the Chief of Trauma Surgery at a hospital in my city and it has been the single greatest experience in my life so far. I met some Ortho residents and these were the first happy surgeons I encountered. Their personalities matched mine to a point of disgust, I felt at home. Orthopedics is not only diverse, but the experiences are so rewarding. Ortho is like a big box of fun. I feel I could be useful because I have great manual dexterity (credit to a lifetime of video games) and I love the OR. I got a rush just from watching these guys perform different procedures day in and day out then talk about them afterwards as if they just saw a movie. I feel that surgery will challenge me more, if I do not do surgery I feel like I'll be making a difference but maybe "settling" if that makes any sense given the competitive scope of Dermatology.
OP I too am confused, but I'm leaning towards Orthopedics. To each his own, you'll be able to decide once you go into those rotations.

Little on the defensive side, no?

As I said above, "ortho vs derm" is a really uncommon branch point for med students when they decide on a spec. They aren't very similar, except for ONE notable. So when you do sit down to interview for one of those fields it could be a red flag. It would be to me. Would they know from looking at your application? Of course not. But interviewers have asked about other things in medical school you're interested in.

I understand your argument.

I cannot speak for others, but, I am proof that one can be interested in two vastly different specialties without being a money chaser. If I said I was interested in R.adiology, O.pthamology, A.nesthesiology, and D.ermatology. MAybe they'd have a case. When I sit down for an interview I will be able to express myself. Like I said I am more interested in Ortho as I am more interested in surgery and my experiences have made Ortho stand out. If I was unable to explain myself the way I did here then it would be a great red flag in an interview, like the "I want to help people" line.

Either way, interest over money. One lasts. The other will disappear under the tides of reform. Kinda funny how few students understand this.

I highly doubt ortho would go under $200k, ever.
The patient mix is generally pretty favorable in ortho, or as favorable as one gets in a general specialty.

Now I could totally see urologists and radiologists getting the shaft with Medicare reforms.

Hey everyone,

I'm a third year medical student having a tough time deciding between dermatology and orthopedic surgery. I would appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons of each.

Hmm. Well, would you rather fix the car or just lube it up and dry it off?