Orthopedic vs. General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkjkjk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lifestyle wise and salary wise, which one is better now and for the future.

From what i know, there is a surplus of orthopedic surgeons so salary should be going down, and there is increased demand for general surgeons so salary should be going up.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

From what i know, there is a surplus of orthopedic surgeons so salary should be going down, and there is increased demand for general surgeons so salary should be going up.

You clearly have an oversimplified view of supply and demand. Nevertheless, with the aging baby boomers, there will be a future shortage of orthopaedists available to perform all the total joint arthroplasties needed. Albeit, there will also be shortages in general surgery. The magnitude of supply deficit will be greater in orthopaedics and thus reimbursement will continue to be higher in ortho in comparison to general surgery.

:thumbup:

Yeah that sounds about right.

Is it just me, or are the trolls on this site losing their touch?

It just seems like they aren't trying. At least Misterioso (sp?) had some fun debates start up...

I guess I'm just tired of the same old question every time -- you'd think the trolls would come up with something a bit more exotic. Lifestyle vs compensation for Ortho vs Gensurg? You've got to be kidding. How many times has that question been asked by 16 year-old idiots who would get dizzy at the sight of blood and pass out if they saw a femur reamed. The best part is that most of them have a bright future in waste management.

Ortho's boring. Except hand.

Mainly this:

So that means im gonna be a garbage man. Look, if you don't want to answer the question, don't, but don't tell me what my future is going to be based on a question i had on an internet forum message board.

Members don't see this ad :)
So that means im gonna be a garbage man. Look, if you don't want to answer the question, don't, but don't tell me what my future is going to be based on a question i had on an internet forum message board.

If you did some research yourself for all of 10 minutes, you would find that there is going to be a physician shortage overall and in most fields, instead of posting irrelevant information that "you heard" and asking others to do your work for you.

If you did some research yourself for all of 10 minutes, you would find that there is going to be a physician shortage overall and in most fields, instead of posting irrelevant information that "you heard" and asking others to do your work for you.
:thumbup:QFT.

Hey, like i said before, its your choice if you want to do the "work". I just figured the orthopedic surgery forum would know a lot about future of orthopedic surgeon jobs, so i decided to ask. Why go through the jungles of the search function when i can get a straight up answer here.

Hey, like i said before, its your choice if you want to do the "work". I just figured the orthopedic surgery forum would know a lot about future of orthopedic surgeon jobs, so i decided to ask. Why go through the jungles of the search function when i can get a straight up answer here.

Nice work ethic. Why research something when somebody else can do the work for you? What if we gave you answers that weren't true just out of spite? What if the information had changed between the last time that we looked it up and now? What if we were a bunch of high school kids who didn't know any better than you?

Learn to do your own research. Information is power and the ability to obtain it is a valuable asset. Search functions aren't that hard, but it only gets harder.

You're not going to survive a surgical residency.........

Why research something when somebody else can do the work for you?
Again, if you don't want to respond, dont. I just wanted a simple answer to a simple question, not an answer to some crazy theory.

What if we gave you answers that weren't true just out of spite?
True, but if we go by logic, then everything on SDN could be false. Im not basing (sp?) my life on this question and will back it up in the future, but for now, i just want to gain a little knowledge.

What if the information had changed between the last time that we looked it up and now?
Again, if we go by this logic, the information in the search forums could also have changed and is currently false. One of the reasons i decided to create a new forum is because i felt that the "future outlook on general/ortho" has changed, due to the changing of the healthcare industry, since the threads created in 2002, 2003, 2004.

What if we were a bunch of high school kids who didn't know any better than you?
Again, your assuming the threads using the search function were answered by attendings and residents, but your logic, they could have also been answered by high schoolers. Usually, in SDN, when the majority agrees on an answer (numerous answers saying the same thing), then you can assume that it is correct or on the right path.

Amen to that! I'm not sure that undergrad is a given, either.

Wow, in the midst of an argument, you turn to insulting me. And you know whats funny, your supposed to be the older much more mature person (based on the way you talk).

And you may be right. I may not survive surgical residency. Hell i may not become a doctor at all. I just want to gain some information.

And, in my opinion, you seem like your gonna be a douchebag doctor. I wonder how your gonna talk to your patients when they ask you some ******* question that they could "just easily look".

Wow, in the midst of an argument, you turn to insulting me. And you know whats funny, your supposed to be the older much more mature person (based on the way you talk).

And you may be right. I may not survive surgical residency. Hell i may not become a doctor at all. I just want to gain some information.

And, in my opinion, you seem like your gonna be a douchebag doctor. I wonder how your gonna talk to your patients when they ask you some ******* question that they could "just easily look".

Aww, calling him a d-bag: the only true way to demonstrate your maturity. :smuggrin:

Aww, calling him a d-bag: the only true way to demonstrate your maturity. :smuggrin:

I wasn't trying to "demonstrate my maturity", i was trying to demonstrate the fact that this supposedly older much more mature poster seems like a d-bag to me.

If you think im balling my eyes, im sorry, im not. I actually find this quite funny.

:smuggrin:

And as a side-note, only one person in this forum is allowed to call other posters d-bag, and you're not him.

Move on, little man, this is a big-boy forum.

Oooh, im scared.

Oh and as a side note, the 1st amendment grants me the freedom of speech.

I don't know. He might not be the greatest one ever, but this thread is still pretty funny.

funny in a "it feels funny when I piss" kinda way.

Oooh, im scared.

Oh and as a side note, the 1st amendment grants me the freedom of speech.

Lawyer too eh? Making a lot of assumptions for a private forum with an international audience.

Nice way to greet my morning. A few points...

1) the First Amendment does not apply to SDN or any private forums. We have a TOS which has rules of acceptable behavior. Calling other users d-bags is not acceptable. Consistent failure to adhere to the TOS is grounds for removal from SDN.

2) hSDN members are reminded that the "air" outside of that forum is a little less sweet. Posters in that forum are expected to treat you with kid gloves. That is not the case here and while I expect users of the Surgery forums to be helpful and relatively kind, to expect them to do your work for you is unreasonable. These are busy medical students, residents and attendings who have graciously donated their time to SDN. It should be seen as a privilege to have them respond at all; please do not antagonize the animals here as they can (and will) bite.

3) Finally, even animals should know when to retreat. Please be civil to each other and if you cannot, take 5 and cool off.

Hooolllldddd on a minute... the constitution doesn't apply to the internet?

Nice way to greet my morning. A few points...

1) the First Amendment does not apply to SDN or any private forums. We have a TOS which has rules of acceptable behavior. Calling other users d-bags is not acceptable. Consistent failure to adhere to the TOS is grounds for removal from SDN.

2) hSDN members are reminded that the "air" outside of that forum is a little less sweet. Posters in that forum are expected to treat you with kid gloves. That is not the case here and while I expect users of the Surgery forums to be helpful and relatively kind, to expect them to do your work for you is unreasonable. These are busy medical students, residents and attendings who have graciously donated their time to SDN. It should be seen as a privilege to have them respond at all; please do not antagonize the animals here as they can (and will) bite.

3) Finally, even animals should know when to retreat. Please be civil to each other and if you cannot, take 5 and cool off.

Awwwww . . . c'mon, mom! We're just gonna box his ears a little bit.

And calling me and Tired animals . . . fairplay.

Agreed.

I actually did take it as a compliment.

Of couse, most of the time when I hear that I'm in a waterbed, handcuffs are laying on the floor, and I have bite marks all over my chest.

Is Bruce making a sandwich or in the shower?

Oh Snap.