OSCE for 1st year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDcanada

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an OSCE coming up for our Intro to Clinical Med course. Are there any good books that u know of that can help for this? any websites? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What are they testing you on? Ours was a stupid medical interviewing osce.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Introduction to Physical Examination" by Bates is excellent. That is what I and everyone in my class used for our OSCE.

I think that the only PE book we use is Mosby's. Not exactly great for review though...

"Introduction to Physical Examination" by Bates is excellent. That is what I and everyone in my class used for our OSCE.

That book was "required" for us, but absolutely not necessary. We just had our PE OSCE as M2s, and we had to memorize these cards the course department made for us on 5 systems. The class and OSCE were a waste of time really -- especially since the OSCE was right before our pharm and path finals.

They make a Pocket Bates too. I can't vouch for its usefulness, but at least it exists.

The best Physical Diagnosis book out there is a very small book called "Degowin's Diagnostic Examination". This book is great for learning every examination procedure and history-taking point. It gives great differential diagnoses based on symptoms and emphasizes medical historical points as they relate to making a diagnosis. This book was invaluable for USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 and is definitely one of the books that you will keep into residency and beyond. This book is quite inexpensive too.

You sound like you might be a Wayne student. Bates is good, but most of the grade comes from asking everything in the history. And yes, you have to ask all 4 parts of the CAGE questionnaire, even if they're all no answers.