SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

OSCE for 1st year student

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DMDcanada, May 5, 2007.

1. DMDcanada

DMDcanada Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Hey Guys,

I have an OSCE coming up for our Intro to Clinical Med course. Are there any good books that u know of that can help for this? any websites? thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2002
    What are they testing you on? Ours was a stupid medical interviewing osce.

4. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Yeah we weren't cool enough to be graded on PE.

5. mrpankration

mrpankration Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2005
    "Introduction to Physical Examination" by Bates is excellent. That is what I and everyone in my class used for our OSCE.

6. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    I think that the only PE book we use is Mosby's. Not exactly great for review though...

7. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot 10+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Same here

8. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist. Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Land of Entrapment
    That book was "required" for us, but absolutely not necessary. We just had our PE OSCE as M2s, and we had to memorize these cards the course department made for us on 5 systems. The class and OSCE were a waste of time really -- especially since the OSCE was right before our pharm and path finals.

9. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2004
    The Good Land
    They make a Pocket Bates too. I can't vouch for its usefulness, but at least it exists.

10. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!
    The best Physical Diagnosis book out there is a very small book called "Degowin's Diagnostic Examination". This book is great for learning every examination procedure and history-taking point. It gives great differential diagnoses based on symptoms and emphasizes medical historical points as they relate to making a diagnosis. This book was invaluable for USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 and is definitely one of the books that you will keep into residency and beyond. This book is quite inexpensive too.

11. Mayhem

Mayhem Scut Bear 5+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Somewhere only we know
  12. inked_caduceus

inked_caduceus 10+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Savannah, GA
    You sound like you might be a Wayne student. Bates is good, but most of the grade comes from asking everything in the history. And yes, you have to ask all 4 parts of the CAGE questionnaire, even if they're all no answers.