OSCE performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does performance on OSCE's correlate to anything during clinical years, in your opinion?

I am a first year and I always get honors on my OSCE's bc they give us the check list that we are supposed to go through, and it is pretty easy to hit everything on the list.

Sometimes I do small things that make the actual encounter to be not on a level of "honors" if you know what I mean. Stuff like not being completely fluid on the physical exam part and not asking about certain details in an orderly fashion (bc i remember it later on in the interview).

First, how can i practice this more? Second, does this correlate to anything in third/fourth year or as a future physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Does performance on OSCE's correlate to anything during clinical years, in your opinion?

Absolutely not. OSCEs are nothing like real patient interactions. You can practice interacting with patients by interacting with patients.

Absolutely not. OSCEs are nothing like real patient interactions. You can practice interacting with patients by interacting with patients.

Lol, chill the hell out man, don't use that tone around here. . . 8P

First off: good job. Secondly, like he said, you can practice by chilling out in the ED and seeing patients. What it does say, is you are good at doing well on tests which probably means you will do good on other similar tests.

good luck with everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, chill the hell out man, don't use that tone around here. . . 8P

I'm curious what tone you read it to be. Granted these are the Interwebs and that leaves plenty open for interpretation, but I thought MilkmanAl's comments were straight-forward and without any negative tone to them at all.

As has already been said, first and second year "clinical" activities have little bearing. All they really do is help you get used to being in that situation. I'm at the end of third year and I feel much more comfortable in real patient interactions compared to the contrived OSCE situation. It's not a nervousness, it just feels silly to pretend after doing it for real all day, every day, for the past year.

You can practice it more if you want, but honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. You already seem to be doing very well with it, and you'll get much better very quickly in third year. I always felt disorganized with H+P sequence in MS1/2, and in third year I've routinely been complemented on how organized and logical my notes are. You'll be fine.

Couldn't agree with this any more. I had the OSCE physical exam on an SP down pat, but as soon as you walk in to a room where the patient is lying down, can't sit up, and doesn't know what tests you're doing, it's a lot harder.

You need to not suck at physicals, but your history taking and ability to develop a differential & treatment plan are far more important than having a solid complete physical exam. It is very, very rare that you ever do a complete physical on someone.

I'm curious what tone you read it to be. Granted these are the Interwebs and that leaves plenty open for interpretation, but I thought MilkmanAl's comments were straight-forward and without any negative tone to them at all.

Lol, man . . . I was just clownin around dawg.

Second off, your advice was awesome.

Lol, man . . . I was just clownin around dawg.

Second off, your advice was awesome.

hahahaha... ok, so I'm the ******* who misread things. :) I retract my prior statement.