Osler Institute Pathology CD-ROMS

Started by Trisomy 8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trisomy 8 said:
Your views on The Olser Institute Pathology CD-ROMS:

good or no good?
I liked the blood bank sections. The rest just bored me.
 
RyMcQ said:
I liked the blood bank sections. The rest just bored me.

The bone pathology guy is also elite.

Ry,

How many flows you interpeting a year in your new gig? You got in house there or are you farming out the technical component?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LADoc00 said:
How many flows you interpeting a year in your new gig? You got in house there or are you farming out the technical component?

We are doing about 240/year. The technical stuff is done 300 miles away by a lab that does about 3000/year. They send me the raw data and I interpret the dot plots on the computer. It's a pretty sweet deal. Total gravy.
 
Trisomy 8 said:
Your views on The Olser Institute Pathology CD-ROMS:

good or no good?

Do any superior alternatives exist?

What do you want to use them for? For Board review, they are easier to deal with than a binder full of notes (which you might end up printing anyways) and a bunch of tape or even the CDs. Make sure you get the Mp3 version, some other company cell Olser CDs, just audio CDs with no PDFs.

People at my program like them.
 
RyMcQ said:
We are doing about 240/year. The technical stuff is done 300 miles away by a lab that does about 3000/year. They send me the raw data and I interpret the dot plots on the computer. It's a pretty sweet deal. Total gravy.

Are you the only hemepath person or is that 240 spread out over the whole group?

Yeah, Im doing the same. Farming the technical to a huge company (Clarient Labs) and they send me the data over an internet portal, fairly nifty as I can review cases from a laptop at Starbucks or while traveling if I like. Im doing all the flow interps/bm/PBs for pretty much a whole county but I dont think Ill quite hit 240, maybe more in the 150-180 range. Luckily I dont have to BM procedures anymore, WOOHOO!
 
LADoc00 said:
Are you the only hemepath person or is that 240 spread out over the whole group?

I'm the only hemepath person. Right now, hemepath is only about 20% of my practice. But I live in a fast-growing community in the desert southwest, so in 10 years, I expect that hemepath could easily be half of what I do. By that time, it might make more sense to get our own cytometer.

What I love about flow is that with morphologic correlation, there is almost no risk and lots of benefit, both to me as a diagnostician and to the patient. Even with the decrease in payments, there is still a nice financial upside when dealing with the professional component.
 
RyMcQ said:
Even with the decrease in payments, there is still a nice financial upside when dealing with the professional component.

Can you give me an idea what the breakdown is on that? What percentage are you loosing for technical cost? (yeah, I broke down and asked after all)
 
djmd said:
Can you give me an idea what the breakdown is on that? What percentage are you loosing for technical cost? (yeah, I broke down and asked after all)
I am actually a little ignorant regarding the technical costs. The technical part is performed at another hospital in our system and I have no clue how they arranged the financials. We may bill for both and then pass along the tech component to the lab. If I remember right, the professional charges are in the $200 range. Given that there is no real cost for that, other than my time, it is a pretty good deal. And whether or not I interpret the flow myself, I would want to look at the data while signing out the marrows anyway. So net cost to me is zero.
 
RyMcQ said:
I am actually a little ignorant regarding the technical costs. The technical part is performed at another hospital in our system and I have no clue how they arranged the financials. We may bill for both and then pass along the tech component to the lab. If I remember right, the professional charges are in the $200 range. Given that there is no real cost for that, other than my time, it is a pretty good deal. And whether or not I interpret the flow myself, I would want to look at the data while signing out the marrows anyway. So net cost to me is zero.

Hmm I wanna say medicare reimbursement is above 200 and my fee is much higher...
 
LADoc00 said:
Hmm I wanna say medicare reimbursement is above 200 and my fee is much higher...

NM Medicare for an 88189 is only 125.80, usually charges between 2x-3x medicare, so that is around 300ish per.
 
LADoc00 said:
NM Medicare for an 88189 is only 125.80, usually charges between 2x-3x medicare, so that is around 300ish per.

Ok I'm going to bite again, maybe someday I will be the master (only a master fo evil...)

How/when do you start learning this coding/billing stuff... I had this distrubing sensation that is being ignored here...
Or is it something you pick up out there.. in the real world?
 
djmd said:
How/when do you start learning this coding/billing stuff...
I've picked up a few codes here and there and have a general idea about what actually gets paid, but life's too short to mess with all this stuff:

PSA