Osteo Gas Programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hossofadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a thrid year and was wondering what gas programs in the Osteopathic world did you enjoy doing rotations and what about that program made it an excellent rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

As a recent osteopathic graduate, I will pass on to you what was passed on to me, by many, many other DO anesthesiologists and residents: Avoid osteopathic anesthesiology residency minus a few exceptions.

Reasons to avoid DO anesthesiology residency training:
1)small, unstable hospitals-my best friends (and my medical school's teaching hospital) closed down 2 months after he started, and gave him a whopping two-days notice of closure.

2)Non ACGME board certification:translation:you won't be able to work anywhere you want-if that doesn't bother you, good for you. Seriously, if you rotate or interview at DO Anesthesiology programs, ask them hard questions about where they end up working later.

3)smaller hospitals-->lighter surgery loads--->less experience, less trauma, less practice for you, and also you might have to leave town, like a medical student again, and you may have to do rotations somewhere else for several months.

Exceptions: You are from a small town,you are going back to a small town and they are so desperate for help they don't care where you trained. You are so sold out on the Osteopathic philosophy that you don't care if adding DO residency training hurts the rest of your career.

PS I wrote this with a helpful spirit, and I mean no disrespect to you or DO hospitals, but I feel it is fair to know what you are getting yourself into.
Being in an allopathic training program erases most of my doubts about how I will be perceived as a physician, first and foremost, later when I am done.

Feel free to contact me at any time with questions of comments.

hossofadoc said:
I'm a thrid year and was wondering what gas programs in the Osteopathic world did you enjoy doing rotations and what about that program made it an excellent rotation?

Thanks for the post Tim. There's such a lack of info re: DO programs, any info is helpful.

Someone just posted a review on Scutwork about the DO gas program in Riverside, CA. I've already set up a rotation there later this year to check it out. I'll post my impressions on Scutwork and here.

I also suggest checking out South Pointe in Cleveland (very stable, affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic), and the one in Lansing MI (Ingham)..big program, most MD like as far as I could tell. Those are the only ones I have any experience with. Be forewarned that a lot of the DO gas programs fill before the match..they won't even lie about it and will tell you when you call that they are filled until 2010 or some absurd thing. You could use that to your advantage as a med student though by rotating early. If they like you, you just might score a spot. Good for some, frustrating for others. BTW, South Pointe states that they won't give away their spots early, so at least they are fair about it. As far as I know, Ingham was filled unofficially since like August. Most of the Ohio programs were filled in the summer as well, or shortly there after.