osteoblasts in osteoporosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhtwus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone knows osteoclasts and RANKL are overactive, but what happens to osteoblasts? do they just stay the same or are they underactive?

Members don't see this ad.

everyone knows osteoclasts and RANKL are overactive, but what happens to osteoblasts? do they just stay the same or are they underactive?

I read that estrogen normally inhibits osteoclasts and promotes osteoblasts and thus in osteoporosis you do get decrease osteoblast function. Not sure where I read this though but it was sometime last week. Ill search for the source to make sure i'm credible, til then i'm not 100%.

I read that estrogen normally inhibits osteoclasts and promotes osteoblasts and thus in osteoporosis you do get decrease osteoblast function. Not sure where I read this though but it was sometime last week. Ill search for the source to make sure i'm credible, til then i'm not 100%.

I think you're right. I don't see it in any of my books though, but I remember that from class.