Osteoblasts, Osteocytes, Osteoclasts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisM07

Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am working through Destroyer 2011 and came across this question. The answer is D

I think C and D are correct. For C, I learned in histology that osteoblasts divide and that it was the osteocytes that do not divide because they are surrounded by the calcified matrix. Progenitor cells differentiate into osteoblasts that lay down the unmineralized bony matrix. The osteoblasts then differentiate into osteocytes that are now surrounded by the matrix. Osteoclasts of course break bone down via H+ ions.

For D, I just knew that was the correct answer. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I learned it the way Destroyer says. Osteoblasts/osteoclasts do not undergo mitosis.

Hey everyone,

I am working through Destroyer 2011 and came across this question. The answer is D

I think C and D are correct. For C, I learned in histology that osteoblasts divide and that it was the osteocytes that do not divide because they are surrounded by the calcified matrix. Progenitor cells differentiate into osteoblasts that lay down the unmineralized bony matrix. The osteoblasts then differentiate into osteocytes that are now surrounded by the matrix. Osteoclasts of course break bone down via H+ ions.

For D, I just knew that was the correct answer. What do you guys think?

Funny u say that cuz i learned that in histology too! I also picked both C & D but went along with D cuz u can never go wrong with mono/multinucleated cells.