ajkst23

ajkst23
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
3
0
42
Status
Hello I have matched to do a general osteopathic internship year mainly because I was undecided in what I want to do with the rest of my life. My question is does this put me at a disadvantage to match in an allopathic program because I may not be funded the last year of my residency. I read somewhere that the government onluy pays for the minimum number of years required to become whaterever it is you want to become. Therefore the internship year is considered an "extra year"
 

rhinosp_33

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
53
0
Status
i'm prob gonna get flammed for this..

but i just dont get why so many DO's want to do allopathetic residencies. i mean you did go to osteopathetic school which does have an unique teaching theme. if you didnt go to osteopathetic school to use that sorta physical manipulation traning or to do primary care (which my understanding is that DO emphasize), then why do DO? the only other thing i can think of is for it to be a backdoor to 'allopatheic residency'.

anyways, to the original poster, why dont you just apply into an allopathetic prelim med/surg position if your so concerned.
 

kendall

as usual
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
125
0
with the critters
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
rhinosp_33 said:
i'm prob gonna get flammed for this..

but i just dont get why so many DO's want to do allopathetic residencies. i mean you did go to osteopathetic school which does have an unique teaching theme. if you didnt go to osteopathetic school to use that sorta physical manipulation traning or to do primary care (which my understanding is that DO emphasize), then why do DO? the only other thing i can think of is for it to be a backdoor to 'allopatheic residency'.

anyways, to the original poster, why dont you just apply into an allopathetic prelim med/surg position if your so concerned.

that's pathetic

k
 

rhinosp_33

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
53
0
Status
kendall said:
that's pathetic

k

if you want to get personal...

PCSOM average mcat: verbal 8, physical 7, biology 8, composite 23.

http://pcsom.pc.edu/students/admissions/factsheet.pdf

buddy, now thats pathetic.

otherwise, i didnt intend to make this into a piss match DO vs MD. all i asked was why DO's go through the DO teaching philosophy but dont pratice the physical manipulation or primary care they emphasize.
 

kendall

as usual
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
125
0
with the critters
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
rhinosp_33 said:
if you want to get personal...

PCSOM average mcat: verbal 8, physical 7, biology 8, composite 23.

http://pcsom.pc.edu/students/admissions/factsheet.pdf

buddy, now thats pathetic.

otherwise, i didnt intend to make this into a piss match DO vs MD. all i asked was why DO's go through the DO teaching philosophy but dont pratice the physical manipulation or primary care they emphasize.

first, my mcat is just fine. buddy.

second, i didn't intend to get into a pissing match. i just thought your consistent poor spelling- osteopathetic, allopathetic- was funny. that's all man, just funny. take a joke. seems to me you want nothing more than to get into a pissing match. i couldn't care less about your, or anyone elses, opinion of DO's or PCSOM. see you on the other side.

k
 

MD'05

Money Hungry Pervert
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2002
1,534
7
Visit site
Status
From what I have seen, a year of osteopathic enhances your chances of matching into an allopathic spot. However, I agree with rhino, why not match into an osteopathic spot? There are some very nice hospitals with great programs. I even considered investigating this option as an MD.
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
23
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
MD'05 said:
I even considered investigating this option as an MD.
You're not alone. I've talked with a number of DO residency program directors who've said that they regularly get MDs who want to apply to various osteopathic residencies.
I was a bit surprised to find this out.
 

MD'05

Money Hungry Pervert
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2002
1,534
7
Visit site
Status
DrMom said:
You're not alone. I've talked with a number of DO residency program directors who've said that they regularly get MDs who want to apply to various osteopathic residencies.
I was a bit surprised to find this out.
There are about 6 osteopathic residency programs near where I live, at very nice hospitals. I would have taken the COMLEX to make myself more marketable (even though I've heard the COMLEX is a miserable exam ).
 

oxford

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2001
57
0
Tampa
Visit site
Status
rhinosp_33 said:
i'm prob gonna get flammed for this..

but i just dont get why so many DO's want to do allopathetic residencies. i mean you did go to osteopathetic school which does have an unique teaching theme. if you didnt go to osteopathetic school to use that sorta physical manipulation traning or to do primary care (which my understanding is that DO emphasize), then why do DO? the only other thing i can think of is for it to be a backdoor to 'allopatheic residency'.

anyways, to the original poster, why dont you just apply into an allopathetic prelim med/surg position if your so concerned.
So rinosp 33 you had better put those comments to rest entering a field like anesthesia that has a lot of DO's in it. I'm sure you will have some in your class, but you will probably hide your true colors from them. I see you already have a lot of respect for your fellow collegues in medicine. I would have assumed that most people at your level have the maturity to realize that this is a pre med argument. Take your comments to the top of the forums where they hang out. You will fit in there great.
 
OP
A

ajkst23

ajkst23
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
3
0
42
Status
I wasn't impying whether or not I was going to to choose an allopathic or osteopathic residency. Honestly I just want the best training I can get, osteopathic or allopathic. And yes if I do choose to go allopathic I will not put my extra training that I have in manipulation to bed, I will continue to use it. I know of several osteopathic residencies that are good that is not my question. I know that since in PA I have to do a internship year to practice I already know that osteopathic residencies will have no problem financially getting reimbursed for me all years of residency. Allopathic residencies on the other hand are only 3 years total, and MD's do not have to do an internship year therefore the government will only pay for 3 years total, so essentially they would not be paid for the last year I would be there(the 3rd year). I was not implying that I wanted an allopathic residency or that allopathic residencies are better, I am pround of my osteoptahic training, I chose to be a DO.
 

veruca12

q4
10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
3
0
Status
first of all doing an internship actually increases your chances of matching into any type of program as long as you are and average candidate you are generally given a higher priority over the other candidates because you hvae more experience although this may not be true in community settings where government reimbursement for education may be an issue

second as to why so many osteopathic students chose allopathic residencies is that they may be limited in their choices say you want to go the a certain area the number of allopathic programs may be larger than the number of ostepathic programs in the area
 
OP
A

ajkst23

ajkst23
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
3
0
42
Status
veruca12 said:
first of all doing an internship actually increases your chances of matching into any type of program as long as you are and average candidate you are generally given a higher priority over the other candidates because you hvae more experience although this may not be true in community settings where government reimbursement for education may be an issue

second as to why so many osteopathic students chose allopathic residencies is that they may be limited in their choices say you want to go the a certain area the number of allopathic programs may be larger than the number of ostepathic programs in the area
Thank you!!! finally an straight answer without the prejudice.
 

rhinosp_33

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
53
0
Status
oxford said:
So rinosp 33 you had better put those comments to rest entering a field like anesthesia that has a lot of DO's in it. I'm sure you will have some in your class, but you will probably hide your true colors from them. I see you already have a lot of respect for your fellow collegues in medicine. I would have assumed that most people at your level have the maturity to realize that this is a pre med argument. Take your comments to the top of the forums where they hang out. You will fit in there great.
Oxford.. several things..

i worked with a DO resident at my school's community hospital affiliate and he was a complete idiot. but i also worked with a DO student at an away anesthesia rotation and thought he was a hard working and bright guy. i'm sure the same can be said of MDs as well. so, to answer your quesiton..my respect will be earned, not simply given just because they are a collegue in medicine.

secondly, i wont be hiding my 'true colors' to any DOs in my anesthesia class (if there are any)... you'd be blind to not see the prejudice against DOs that exist already. face it, DO schools are easier to get into. if you believe that a composite mcat of 23 is "just fine", then i think you are perpetuating that notion. i'm sure a good number of DOs excel during med school and boards and become good doctors--- but that still doesnt change the fact that DO schools are just easier to get into. i would suffice to say that competition and credentials, especially in medicine, are important.

anyways, like i said again, i did not intend to make this a DO/MD debate -- for you to have interpreted that intention and question my 'maturity' is both moot and laughable. read my original post again, and you'll realize that i asked why DOs desire an allopathic residency when they trained and vowed an osteopathic philosophy. some of the above posts have addressed my question.
 

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 10, 2003
333
0
New York
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Also, there are a number of fellowships that are ACGME accredited and not AOA accredited. This would make a DO that is interested in a fellowship have to apply to an ACGME accredited residency program to get board certified. If it's a dually accredited program, then that's even better.

This is true in the field of pediatrics.

There is no need for anyone to be all defensive about it. As long as we get in, that's all that matters, not what some SDN freak has to say! :laugh:

Part of the reason why people get into DO schools is to increase our options. More residency spots make it easier to choose hospitals. :idea:
 

kendall

as usual
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
125
0
with the critters
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
rhinosp_33 said:
Oxford.. several things..

i worked with a DO resident at my school's community hospital affiliate and he was a complete idiot. but i also worked with a DO student at an away anesthesia rotation and thought he was a hard working and bright guy. i'm sure the same can be said of MDs as well. so, to answer your quesiton..my respect will be earned, not simply given just because they are a collegue in medicine.

secondly, i wont be hiding my 'true colors' to any DOs in my anesthesia class (if there are any)... you'd be blind to not see the prejudice against DOs that exist already. face it, DO schools are easier to get into. if you believe that a composite mcat of 23 is "just fine", then i think you are perpetuating that notion. i'm sure a good number of DOs excel during med school and boards and become good doctors--- but that still doesnt change the fact that DO schools are just easier to get into. i would suffice to say that competition and credentials, especially in medicine, are important.

anyways, like i said again, i did not intend to make this a DO/MD debate -- for you to have interpreted that intention and question my 'maturity' is both moot and laughable. read my original post again, and you'll realize that i asked why DOs desire an allopathic residency when they trained and vowed an osteopathic philosophy. some of the above posts have addressed my question.
rhino, i assume that your putting quotation marks around "just fine" is in reference to my last post. i never said that a composite mcat of 23 is just fine. i said that MY mcat is just fine, and it is. since i have not even yet begun school i cannot (will not) remark on the allo/osteo internship/residency issue at hand. i am, however, very sorry that my attempt at humor so raised your ire. see you on the other side.

k
 

oxford

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2001
57
0
Tampa
Visit site
Status
Rinosp..
Do you really want any of us to believe that you are sincere and truly pondering why some DO's apply to allopathic residencies? As a medical student I have so many other things to think about and do then worry about who is doing residency where. It is quite obvious that you are trying to play this off as being sincere about the issue, however it is obvious that you were simply trying to start a flame war. If you took a few seconds to think about why DO's apply to MD residencies, you could have figured it out on your own...at least I hope. There was no need to make the comment. Secondly, don't put words in any of our mouths. No one in this post, except you, made any comment about MCAT scores. Finally, you want me to open my eyes about the descrimination against DO's. I have rotated at many allopathic hospitals both community and large academic centers with big names and not once did I feel any of the prejudice that you account for. The only place I hear it is on forums like this where people like you can hide behind a screen name. In the real world either it doesn't exist or you guys don't have the balls to say it to my face...so keep hiding. I will make no more comments in this thread. It is a waste of mine and everyone elses time...especially the OPs. If you can't answer the OPs question then don't say anything at all.
 

kristing

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2002
514
3
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ajkst23 said:
Hello I have matched to do a general osteopathic internship year mainly because I was undecided in what I want to do with the rest of my life. My question is does this put me at a disadvantage to match in an allopathic program because I may not be funded the last year of my residency. I read somewhere that the government onluy pays for the minimum number of years required to become whaterever it is you want to become. Therefore the internship year is considered an "extra year"
ok, since it seems that no one has really answered your question...

I don't know the answer to this, honestly, but I would go to the AOA website and contact the person in charge of AOA internship year. It's an easy to find link. I did it for a different question, and the guy got back to me via email within a few days.
 

rhinosp_33

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
53
0
Status
oxford said:
Rinosp..
Do you really want any of us to believe that you are sincere and truly pondering why some DO's apply to allopathic residencies? As a medical student I have so many other things to think about and do then worry about who is doing residency where. It is quite obvious that you are trying to play this off as being sincere about the issue, however it is obvious that you were simply trying to start a flame war. If you took a few seconds to think about why DO's apply to MD residencies, you could have figured it out on your own...at least I hope. There was no need to make the comment.
sounds like your making alot of assumptions here. even if you look at my second comment, i explicitly stated i had no intention of making this a MD/DO piss contest. in the future, try not to make your assumption or insecurity provoke such quick defensive nature. if you must know, being a 4th year, i have plently of time to do whatevers.


oxford said:
Secondly, don't put words in any of our mouths. No one in this post, except you, made any comment about MCAT scores. Finally, you want me to open my eyes about the descrimination against DO's. I have rotated at many allopathic hospitals both community and large academic centers with big names and not once did I feel any of the prejudice that you account for. The only place I hear it is on forums like this where people like you can hide behind a screen name. In the real world either it doesn't exist or you guys don't have the balls to say it to my face...so keep hiding.
i'm sure your familir with the concept of "DO friendly" allopathic residency programs? well, that would underscore the concept that there are "non DO friendly" programs as well.


oxford said:
I will make no more comments in this thread.
perhaps the best comment you made all thread. i will agree with you there.
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,607
28,103
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Let's stop all the DO vs MD posts before I close this thread.

In regards to HCFA funding, it depends on the program. It is true that the government funds you for the number of years of training dependent on the length of residency you start in. If a program is interested in having you as a resident, generally they can find the extra dough to fund you for any missing HCFA funding years. I have not heard this to be a significant problem for those needing funding for only a year or two.
 

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
1,057
3
Visit site
Status
Kimberli Cox said:
Let's stop all the DO vs MD posts before I close this thread.

In regards to HCFA funding, it depends on the program. It is true that the government funds you for the number of years of training dependent on the length of residency you start in. If a program is interested in having you as a resident, generally they can find the extra dough to fund you for any missing HCFA funding years. I have not heard this to be a significant problem for those needing funding for only a year or two.
O know, here comes the "pallabra policia". I thought Rhino was obnoxious, granted, but I thought the debate was one where we as adults could determine if we wanted to partake in it. In the TOS, I do not specifically recall there being a "no DO versus MD thread". Why don't you just lighten up Cox? I've already been suspended from this place once because of your keen insight, and now I venture to say that I understand the TOS rather well. Thanks for your continued dedication though :D
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
23
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
The policy has to do with bashing other medical professionals. That tone has shown up here. That is the point the Kimberli was making.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
PACtoDOC said:
O know, here comes the "pallabra policia". I thought Rhino was obnoxious, granted, but I thought the debate was one where we as adults could determine if we wanted to partake in it. In the TOS, I do not specifically recall there being a "no DO versus MD thread". Why don't you just lighten up Cox? I've already been suspended from this place once because of your keen insight, and now I venture to say that I understand the TOS rather well. Thanks for your continued dedication though :D
:thumbdown: