Osteopathic Internship Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzadi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find information on this? Is it still required?

Members don't see this ad.

The AOA website should have information, I just received an email about it...they are starting to phase out the term internship...there will still be one you have to do, I think they'll just take out the requirments that you need to do one to practice in those certain states where a traditional year is required.

The AOA website should have information, I just received an email about it...they are starting to phase out the term internship...there will still be one you have to do, I think they'll just take out the requirments that you need to do one to practice in those certain states where a traditional year is required.
Do you know when they are planning to do this? I live in one of those certain states(Michigan) and would love to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I was told by an AOA rep is that the requirement for internship will be up to each specialty college. Some (FP, peds, some IM) already have it fully integrated, others don't.

I'm in one of the 5 states and have heard nothing about any changes in the state requirement. They could certainly keep it where you still have to have an MD program approved via resolution 42 or something similar. Maybe they'll remove it in total, though.

There are definitely ways to most assuredly get around the internship requirement in those 5 states...for instance, if you're interested in a particular specialty and you want to do your residency in, say, nebraska, then you wouldn't have trouble getting a license in Michigan because you could make the case that there isn't an osteopathic EM program within 500 miles (or more) of Omaha.

There are other ways as well, but this is a big one.

What about other issues besides just practicing in the 5 states? Say you want to become a PD at an osteopathic residency one day? Would you have trouble with this if you did not do the internship?

BMW-

There are definitely ways to most assuredly get around the internship requirement in those 5 states...for instance, if you're interested in a particular specialty and you want to do your residency in, say, nebraska, then you wouldn't have trouble getting a license in Michigan because you could make the case that there isn't an osteopathic EM program within 500 miles (or more) of Omaha.

There are other ways as well, but this is a big one.

What about other issues besides just practicing in the 5 states? Say you want to become a PD at an osteopathic residency one day? Would you have trouble with this if you did not do the internship?

BMW-

You raise a good question, and I believe the answer is that not doing an osteopathic internship would disqualify you from taking the osteopathic board in your specialty and therefore disqualify you as a PD applicant.

What about Pathology? Are there even any osteopathic path residencies? Why would an internship be required for Path? It seems odd that to be osteopathic baorded in path they would care more about your internship than your path residency.

So, when applying to ortho, do I need to do an internship before I apply to ortho residencies?

So, when applying to ortho, do I need to do an internship before I apply to ortho residencies?

if you are talking about DO ortho residencies, no. the internship is integrated. if you are going for MD ortho - :wow: you must be a complete stud. and yes, you would need to do an internship first, if you were concerned about possibly not being able to practice in one of the five states, although you could probably use resolution 42.