osteopathic intership + categorical allopathic residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

racystacey07

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a DO student and plan to complete an osteopathic internship so that I can gain practicing rights in Michigan. However, I am quite certain that I would like to pursue a peds allopathic residency and fellowship (not at a dually accredited program). Because the traditional internship focuses on general medicine, and not pediatrics, do I automatically lose this year? Do I apply for the peds residency as a PGY1? Do I apply for this at the same time as my internship or during my osteopathic intern year? Will I still have funding for my last year of residency? If any of you have any insight, I would greatly appreciate it! I have not been able to find much info on programs that accept PGY2 or ones that will work with the osteopathic internship. Thanks 🙂
 
racystacey07 said:
I am a DO student and plan to complete an osteopathic internship so that I can gain practicing rights in Michigan. However, I am quite certain that I would like to pursue a peds allopathic residency and fellowship (not at a dually accredited program). Because the traditional internship focuses on general medicine, and not pediatrics, do I automatically lose this year? Do I apply for the peds residency as a PGY1? Do I apply for this at the same time as my internship or during my osteopathic intern year? Will I still have funding for my last year of residency? If any of you have any insight, I would greatly appreciate it! I have not been able to find much info on programs that accept PGY2 or ones that will work with the osteopathic internship. Thanks 🙂

You may get better attention with this question in the Pediatrics Residency forum.

Let me know and I will be more than happy to move it for you.
 
Just go straight peds ,and apply to the aoa, don't worry about it so much...you will be surprised what they will accept...The AOA does not want to lose docs any more that you want to leave