Osteopathic Neurosurgery Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsDOc2251

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to know everyone's current take on the Osteopathic Neurosurgery programs. Which programs are to avoid? Which programs require audition rotations? Any insight to how the merger will affect these programs? Any specific information on the Garden City or Arrowhead Neurosurgery Programs? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to know everyone's current take on the Osteopathic Neurosurgery programs. Which programs are to avoid? Which programs require audition rotations? Any insight to how the merger will affect these programs? Any specific information on the Garden City or Arrowhead Neurosurgery Programs? Thanks for any info.

I have about 0% experience in this area, but I would recommend looking up match lists from the last few years from your school and trying to get in touch with kids who matched.

VCOM at Carilion Seems to be an amazing program.

I'll start off by saying I go to VCOM so hopefully I'm not biased but take it for what its worth. The Head of Neurosurgery from the program has lectured us before and he is a character (very cocky but hilarious....seems like a good guy to work with). Great background too. The Residency has been affiliated with VCOM since its start and it is about 7 years old I think. All of their passed residents are D.O.s.....not sure if that is going to change with the new Va-Tech M.D. program there at Carilion and the merger but they obviously are D.O. Friendly. The neuroscience research institute there is also amazing. Although I have never been to a talk there, I have looked at their lineup of talks on the website and it looks like they pool in some big names. Obviously research and Neuro go hand and hand, at least in my opinion, and a good Neuro or Neurosurgery residency needs that.

Carilion is a Massive hospital, now affiliated with multiple Medical Schools directly and indirectly, so I would tend to think their Neuro program is just as good as any other MD neurosurgery program at a University Hospital.

Check it out http://www.carilionclinic.org/education/neurosurgery-residency

I am almost positive they don't "Require" audition rotations. But getting into medial school didn't "require" volunteer work either.

As for the quality of Neurosurgery DO in general. I'm sure they are all good. Sure some better than others, but they don't let you operate on peoples heads without regulation. Plus with the merger, I would expect Neurosurgery residencies to transition nicely. Some of the specialties may have some trouble, but not NeuroSurgery. We were told by our dean that one reason programs may close for instance, are DO programs that are in smaller towns and don't meet case requirements set by ACGME. Carilion will not have this problem, again huge hospital

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
VCOM at Carilion Seems to be an amazing program.

I'll start off by saying I go to VCOM so hopefully I'm not biased but take it for what its worth. The Head of Neurosurgery from the program has lectured us before and he is a character (very cocky but hilarious....seems like a good guy to work with). Great background too. The Residency has been affiliated with VCOM since its start and it is about 7 years old I think. All of their passed residents are D.O.s.....not sure if that is going to change with the new Va-Tech M.D. program there at Carilion and the merger but they obviously are D.O. Friendly. The neuroscience research institute there is also amazing. Although I have never been to a talk there, I have looked at their lineup of talks on the website and it looks like they pool in some big names. Obviously research and Neuro go hand and hand, at least in my opinion, and a good Neuro or Neurosurgery residency needs that.

Carilion is a Massive hospital, now affiliated with multiple Medical Schools directly and indirectly, so I would tend to think their Neuro program is just as good as any other MD neurosurgery program at a University Hospital.

Check it out http://www.carilionclinic.org/education/neurosurgery-residency

I am almost positive they don't "Require" audition rotations. But getting into medial school didn't "require" volunteer work either.

As for the quality of Neurosurgery DO in general. I'm sure they are all good. Sure some better than others, but they don't let you operate on peoples heads without regulation. Plus with the merger, I would expect Neurosurgery residencies to transition nicely. Some of the specialties may have some trouble, but not NeuroSurgery. We were told by our dean that one reason programs may close for instance, are DO programs that are in smaller towns and don't meet case requirements set by ACGME. Carilion will not have this problem, again huge hospital
a bit off topic but i'll most likely be attending vcom-cc this august and was wondering if vcom is trying to expand on their residency programs? i heard they're starting to drop a lot of money on this but wasn't for sure.

Carilion Clinic is definitely up there. St. John's Providence Hospital in Michigan is top notch too.

a bit off topic but i'll most likely be attending vcom-cc this august and was wondering if vcom is trying to expand on their residency programs? i heard they're starting to drop a lot of money on this but wasn't for sure.

As for new ones, I'm not sure. The Dean came into speak to us when the merger occurred (very cool of her) and people asked this very question. She said that there is definitely a huge interest in this at VCOM, but, there is so much political and le

NICE YIPPEEE!

I go to the Va Campus so I can't speak for CC specifically. When the merger occurred the dean came in to speak to us about it (very cool of her). Somebody asked the same question. She said there is definitely interest in opening new residencies, but there is a lot of red tape to go through. Unfortunately she said sometimes hospitals have certain criteria, or have things set in place that don't allow them to open programs there.

What I got from her answer is that VCOM is at the top in regards to the interest in opening new programs but for now they may have to wait and see how some things pan out. One thing she noted to was case numbers. This is a problem for some of the smaller AOA programs, so I got the feel that things are on hold for a bit but who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if they got some new programs. I mean, they have an Derm program, A neurosurg etc. so they have experience with it. When you come to VCOM, you'll learn about "VCOM TV". The deans talk about the merger and that question you asked was all video taped so check it out when you get to campus!!