osteopathic ob-gyn programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azmedstudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about the DO programs? Any of them any good? I am interested in finding out about the program in Colton, CA because I am in the west. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did my 3rd year core there. When I did my 4th year sub-i's I felt like I didn't get as good an experience as the other 4th years I worked with. There's very little gyn-- the chiefs complained about their horrible gyn surgery numbers. I'd never done an ob admit H&P because the transitional years used us as their bitches for triage, so very few deliveries as a student too. The nurses there hate students and won't page you. The residents seemed very tired (more than at the other places I rotated), even with the PA residents and transitional years to pick up the slack. There are only 2 residents per year, which sucks. I learned some very bad habits there as well, which I won't go into. The faculty are all burned out and unhappy as are most of the residents. It's not an environment I'd want to train in for 4 years. If you want to stay out west, take the USMLE and apply allopathic. That is the best advice I can give you as our options are too limited otherwise.

Azmedstudent said:
Anyone heard anything about the DO programs? Any of them any good? I am interested in finding out about the program in Colton, CA because I am in the west. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Kadyra said:
I did my 3rd year core there. When I did my 4th year sub-i's I felt like I didn't get as good an experience as the other 4th years I worked with. There's very little gyn-- the chiefs complained about their horrible gyn surgery numbers. I'd never done an ob admit H&P because the transitional years used us as their bitches for triage, so very few deliveries as a student too. The nurses there hate students and won't page you. The residents seemed very tired (more than at the other places I rotated), even with the PA residents and transitional years to pick up the slack. There are only 2 residents per year, which sucks. I learned some very bad habits there as well, which I won't go into. The faculty are all burned out and unhappy as are most of the residents. It's not an environment I'd want to train in for 4 years. If you want to stay out west, take the USMLE and apply allopathic. That is the best advice I can give you as our options are too limited otherwise.

I'm a third year preparing to apply for ob this year. Do you know of any DO friendly allo residencies worth pursuing? Can you offer me any advice as I start this process?

Members don't see this ad :)
cdreed said:
I'm a third year preparing to apply for ob this year. Do you know of any DO friendly allo residencies worth pursuing? Can you offer me any advice as I start this process?
PM me. Do you want to stay out west? Did you take USMLE?

I don't know about the west coast, but many programs across the country accept the COMLEX. I'm not sure if it's really necessary for you to take the USMLE now.

s42brown said:
I don't know about the west coast, but many programs across the country accept the COMLEX. I'm not sure if it's really necessary for you to take the USMLE now.

I noticed you are in STL. Have you found that midwest allo. programs accept COMLEX? Where are some good places to do ob/gyn electives in the area?
Thanks

cdreed said:

Look at the program websites. If they have any DO's in the current or past resident classes or any DO's on faculty, they're usually pretty DO-friendly. If you want to stay west, the USMLE is a help. There just aren't as many DO's or DO schools out here, so people are very unfamiliar with the COMLEX. If you're out east or in the midwest, this is a different story. You can ask program coordinators if they prefer their applicants to have it. Program coordinator e-mail addresses or program contacts are located in FREIDA. If you are doing the military match, all you need is COMLEX.

I noticed you are in STL. Have you found that midwest allo. programs accept COMLEX? Where are some good places to do ob/gyn electives in the area?

I haven't researched that many programs yet but, I know that St. Johns Mercy which is where I did my rotation is very DO friendly. 7600 deliveries last year and tons of surgery makes this place a great training site. I believe SLU and UMKC are DO friendly. Overall, I think you have to look hard for a program that is DO unfriendly.

Good luck :cool: