Osteopathic Ophthalmology/Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boner

I just blue myself
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely interested in ophtho and, being the competitive field it is, am trying to gain experience in the field early on in my medical education. I am planning on doing research this summer in ocular micro, but am kind of lost as to what the ultimate goal of this research should be. Should I be shooting for an abstract, poster, etc... and what are some of the common forums in which to submit such research findings (besides biggies like ARVO).
I know that grades/boards/clinicals/letters, etc... are important, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated, especially tips about going the osteopathic route (tips on going the allopathic route appreciated as well).
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest that your goals should include building professional relationships and publishing your work.

Ophthalmology is a small field, where who you advocates for you as a residency candidate (through letters of recommendation and making phone calls on your behalf), can greatly influence your success in the match. Conducting research can provide you the opportunity to begin building relationships with influential faculty.

Presenting your work at a national vision research meeting (ARVO, AAO, AAPOS, ASOPRS, etc) would also help. However, IMO, a simple poster presentation isn't going to make or break you.

Unfortunately, being a DO will be a limiting factor. Fortunately, you are starting early enough to maximize your chances.

Obviously Step 1 scores also matter, I have only met one DO on the interview trail thus far (not saying that i've interviewed at all the programs known to ophthalmology or anything) - and this person did not take a year off to do research or anything like that. So I'm assuming they had amazing step 1 scores, and some focused research projects throughout medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking and doing well on USMLE Step I is required, although I don't think you need to have an "amazing" score be invited for an interview. I think most programs have already decided if will consider DOs before they receive your application. For those programs only considering US MDs, I'm doubtful that any score would change their minds. If a program is open to DOs, I don't think they will hold you to a higher standard in terms of their step I requirement.

I have met three other DOs on the interview trail this year. My experience has been limited to the Northeast and one Midwest program. Also worth noting is that very few DOs apply for Ophthalmology. Last year, only two students applied for Ophtho from my school, which has a class size of greater than 200.

Obviously, DO programs only require COMLEX. It's difficult to apply to both DO and MD programs. When the time comes, and if you decide to apply to both, I'll be happy to share my thoughts on the subject.

Taking and doing well on USMLE Step I is required, although I don't think you need to have an "amazing" score be invited for an interview. I think most programs have already decided if will consider DOs before they receive your application. For those programs only considering US MDs, I'm doubtful that any score would change their minds. If a program is open to DOs, I don't think they will hold you to a higher standard in terms of their step I requirement.

I have met three other DOs on the interview trail this year. My experience has been limited to the Northeast and one Midwest program. Also worth noting is that very few DOs apply for Ophthalmology. Last year, only two students applied for Ophtho from my school, which has a class size of greater than 200.

Obviously, DO programs only require COMLEX. It's difficult to apply to both DO and MD programs. When the time comes, and if you decide to apply to both, I'll be happy to share my thoughts on the subject.

This is a question that I should probably already know, but Ill ask anyway. Lets say you want something competitive like optho,derm,ect., If you apply to both DO and MD match, and only rank optho for DO match and dont match, then are you still in for the MD match or does just participating in DO match kick you out of MD match?

This is a question that I should probably already know, but Ill ask anyway. Lets say you want something competitive like optho,derm,ect., If you apply to both DO and MD match, and only rank optho for DO match and dont match, then are you still in for the MD match or does just participating in DO match kick you out of MD match?

To the best of my knowledge, SF match happens in January, osteopathic match happens in February, and NRMP happens in March. So, you could apply MD ophtho, match and withdraw from everything else. If you failed to match MD ophtho, you would move on to the osteopathic match. If you DID match here, you would be automatically withdrawn from NRMP (Derm, etc...). However, if you failed to match to osteopathic programs, you would be eligible for NRMP.

So theoretically, someone could apply to MD optho(SF match), DO optho match, and NRMP? Seems like a pretty good deal since you can have 3 separate chances to match all with different rank lists. Is there anyway the programs could find out you did this?

So theoretically, someone could apply to MD optho(SF match), DO optho match, and NRMP? Seems like a pretty good deal since you can have 3 separate chances to match all with different rank lists. Is there anyway the programs could find out you did this?

Perhaps the only benefit of being a DO applying for MD ophtho is that you get two "shots" at the match- SF match in Jan and the DO match in Feb. So as the previous stated, if you happen not to match in the SF match your plan B is still ophtho the SAME year, albeit through the DO match (vs. reapplying next year if you're a MD).

If you're planning on applying to multiple fields, MD + DO ophtho and something else through the NRMP match (derm?, rads?, etc), it's certainly possible as long as you play your cards right. Although I'd imagine interviewing for ophtho, internship AND another residency would be ridiculously expensive and stressful!

G'luck everyone...:)

The biggest factor for landing an Osteopathic Ophthalmology residency from having been on both sides of the process now is how well you perform during your rotation through the program-- not just in knowledge, but work ethic and how well you get along with the other residents. Yes, board scores and grades are a factor, but an impressive performance during your rotation will easily overshadow a mediocre COMLEX score. Remember, lots of people do well on their boards, and lots of people have research experience... If any DO's have any questions about applying, i'd be happy to offer up any knowledge or advice I can give. I did not apply Allo, so I won't be able to help you there, although we attend the didactics at the Kresge Eye Institute, and this seems to be an awesome program.

The biggest factor for landing an Osteopathic Ophthalmology residency from having been on both sides of the process now is how well you perform during your rotation through the program-- not just in knowledge, but work ethic and how well you get along with the other residents. Yes, board scores and grades are a factor, but an impressive performance during your rotation will easily overshadow a mediocre COMLEX score. Remember, lots of people do well on their boards, and lots of people have research experience... If any DO's have any questions about applying, i'd be happy to offer up any knowledge or advice I can give. I did not apply Allo, so I won't be able to help you there, although we attend the didactics at the Kresge Eye Institute, and this seems to be an awesome program.

Good info. Thanks

If anyone has questions I just matched to a DO Ophthalmology program for July 2008, I'm currently an intern in an osteopathic hospital in MI. If you have questions on how I learned ophthalmology and what I did, please feel free to PM me. I might not respond right away since internship is grueling, but I'll get back to you.

Could you let me know of some "DO friendly" MD residency programs? I'd like to apply to MD programs as well. Which ones have you had interviews at? Also which programs have taken DO applicants in the past? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

VCU has a PGY-2 DO in their program and from what I have heard, it was their first. She was a pretty stellar applicant though

Hello 3rd year osteo med student here. I had a question for you if you didn't mind about my chances of matching but figured I would ask you first in case you were busy before I wrote a long message. Thank you