Osteopathic Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Reviews *Post Merger Version*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Program: Valley Consortium for Medical Education Orthopedics (Modesto, CA)
Residents per Class: 3
Hospital:

Primarily at Doctor’s Hospital of Modesto, but they do go to San Joaquin General Hospital in Stockton a fair bit. They also attend rotations at Valley Children’s Hospital in Madera and Keiser Hospital in Oakland.

Modesto is a well run OR IMO. Food is paid for in the Doc lounge for all residents and students on rotation. Residents also get a food stipend. Overall, an enjoyable OR experience.

Location: Modesto is within a couple of hours from Yosemite and the Bay Area. Not a lot to do in the immediate area but, the weather is pretty great year-round.
Attendings: Very driven towards educating and allowing the residents to learn. Especially in the OR.
Residents: Definitely a group that is super hard working and seems to get along well.
Didactics/Education: Didactics ran every morning from 7-8. Fx conference once per week with attendings joining. Journal conference on Friday. They definitely prioritize their literature and education time.
Operative Experience: Tons of autonomy in the OR for the residents. Some of the best surgical residents I saw, especially in the junior residents. Operative excellence is something they strive for and emphasize.

As a student, they definitely appreciate your help in the OR. They keep you engaged and make the OR very enjoyable for you. Several of the attendings really enjoy having the extra set of hands.
Clinic Experience: Lot of shadowing in the clinic as a student without a ton of teaching. These days were not fun, but they did give you a chance at increased facetime with the attendings.
Research: They get a half day per week to devote to research/rest as well as a couple of research months during their time as a resident. Increasing the amount of research they did seemed to be a priority while I was there. They also have a research fellow who assists with their projects.
Lifestyle: From what I saw, they are workaholics. Tons of late days and limited family time. A few of them seemed exhausted at times. They find time to do fun things, but definitely on the work-heavy side.
Pros: Incredible operative experience. They were some of the best if not the best operators I saw on the trail. Attendings were very eager to teach.
Cons: Overworked. Location maybe isn’t the best. Not a ton of complex pelvic trauma when I was there, but this is location/timing dependent.
Student Specific Experience: This was a tough rotation but a solid rotation. Very long hours. Often there well before 5 and often stayed well after 6pm. Was definitely a bit burnt out after this rotation. Learned a fair amount. Important to know your classifications and how to read an X-ray. You’ll get what you put in. The residents will teach, but you have to ask questions and be engaged. Some of their residents weren’t the nicest and would grill us on stupid stuff. At times the overall vibe wasn’t the best. Overall, it was a solid rotation, but definitely the one of the hardest working rotations. You probably won’t find many ortho rotations that had longer hours than this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Program: Metro/University of Michigan Health – West (Grand Rapids Program)
Residents per Class: 2
Hospital: Metro/University of Michigan Health West Hospital in Wyoming, MI. Very nice hospital with a nice OR. Foods pretty good. Residents get a stipend I believe. They also do Peds and Ortho-onc (I think) in Ann Arbor.
Location: Grand Rapids is a great city. Lots of bars and night life. Short drive to the beach for the summer days.
Attendings: The attendings are great and very eager to teach. Generally, they get the residents involved with cases, but it is attending dependent.
Residents: Awesome group of people that are dedicated while being incredibly friendly. They’re eager to teach students and really want you to have a good time with their program.

Didactics/Education: Daily, during sign-out, they go over trauma cases and fractures from the day before with the trauma attendings. This provided efficient “fracture conference” and allowed for a lot of good education. They usually get the students involved on these x-ray reads, so read up and look-up the x-rays and trauma cases from the day before. They also have weekly didactic lectures that are a little more formal but still valuable.
Operative Experience: Due to their program being somewhat smaller, students often aren’t scrubbed with residents, so it’s tough to completely evaluate operative experience. They definitely include students in each case and want you to be involved and feel valued (as long as you show dedication and interest). From what I saw, the senior looked proficient and experienced.

Clinic Experience: The help in clinic for the various services they are on. They also have resident clinic every Friday which allows them to book cases that they get even more autonomy over.
Research: I think they’re required to publish at least 1 paper a year. They get 1 month per year for research I believe.
Lifestyle: Student lifestyle was solid. Rotating call but the hours weren’t too crazy. They were definitely eager to send the students home if there was nothing left to be done. There is no overworking students to see who can hang. They genuinely want you to have fun with them but not be overwhelmed. Residents seem to have free time and enjoy the program.
Pros: The atmosphere and “vibe” around the program are awesome. They genuinely enjoy there time at Metro. They get solid sports cases and operations. Probably their biggest pro is joints. Dr. Johnson is fantastic and does a ton of cases. They are also starting a joints fellowship, but they don’t expect it to affect resident case numbers due to Dr. Johnson’s shear volume.
Cons: Not a ton of polytrauma or pelvic trauma. If your interested in Spine, they don’t have a lot of that.
Student Specific Experience: This was an awesome rotation. Be ready to work hard but, overall, they are looking for people who fit with their program. Know how to read an x-ray. Know fracture classifications. Be teachable and be someone they want to be around.

Reactions: 2 users
Program: KCU/HCA Research Medical Center (Kansas City, MO)

Residents per Class: 4

Hospitals:
-North Kansas City Hospital: Level 2 trauma center just north of downtown KC. 451 beds with a dedicated orthopedic floor. Very nice and in a good location. Great food in the cafeteria. Very nice ORs. Has main ORs and then smaller surgery center type ORs. The attending you are with during the day will usually buy you lunch.
-Research Medical Center: Level 1 trauma center south of downtown KC with 591 beds. Have put a ton of money into the hospital over the last few years and really have made it nice. Cafeteria food is decent and you get free food as a student. Very large OR area.
-Overland Park Regional Medical Center: Level 2 trauma center that basically acts as level 1. 343 beds. Very busy for orthopedic trauma. Dedicated neuro/ortho/trauma floor. Amazing food. As a student, you basically get whatever you want from the cafeteria as long as you are a student on audition.
-Cameron Regional Medical Center: Small 58-bed rural hospital about 30 minutes north of NKC hospital. The food is lousy, but very nice people and great experience.
-Creekwood Surgery Center- Has four ORs and is about 5 minutes from NKC. Lots of outpatient procedures here including hand, sports, and foot and ankle. Food is usually catered for the surgeons/residents and students usually get some of that.

Location: Kansas City, MO- Like any large city, there are good and bad areas of town. There is a lot to do in KC from activities downtown to great sports teams (Chiefs, Royals, Sporting KC). Lots of great places to eat and lots of small breweries. The new airport will be open next year and the location of World Cup as well. As far as living situations, you can choose to live downtown and be in the center of the three hospitals or can live in the suburbs. Nice areas in the suburbs are Liberty, Overland Park, Leawood, Olathe. All these places are very safe and have lots to do for families. Housing is super affordable with great school systems. There are a few residents that rent rooms in their homes which is way cheaper than renting a hotel/AirBnB. Would look into this.

Attendings: Dr. Orth (general) is the program director and really cares about the program and basically would do anything for the residents and the program. He really will try and get to know the students and have them in the clinic with him seeing patients and asking them to present.
Dr. Barnhill, DO (general)
Dr. R Paul, DO (general, but does mostly total joints)
Dr. D Paul, DO (general, but does mostly total joints)
Dr. Cornett, DO (general)
Dr. Justice, DO (sports)
Dr. Dugan, DO (general)
Dr. Kesl, DO (trauma)
Dr. Black, MD (trauma)
Dr. Walker, DO (foot/ankle)
Dr. Boin, MD (shoulder/elbow)
Dr. Presley, DO (adult recon)
Dr. Ebelke, MD (spine)
For pediatrics, you work with 10+ pediatric orthopedic surgeons at Children's Mercy in downtown KC
All the attendings seem to be very nice and will teach in the OR/clinic. Some have you see patients in the clinic and some do not. Per Dr. Orth, the group will be adding a hand, spine, and another sports surgeon within the next year.

Residents: Take four residents a year now that they are at Research and cover so many hospitals. Right now, they have 17 residents as PGY 3-5 only has three residents. A very tight-knit group of residents here. A lot of the residents have families/kids and they all hang out outside of work. They work hard when at the hospital but also do a ton outside of work with each other. Will usually include students for trips to breweries, resident gatherings, etc. Very easy to talk to and seem to have a very good relationship with each other and the attendings. Family feel. All seem very eager to help each other out on rounds, consults, etc.

Didactics/Education: PGY 1-3 usually round at NKC/Research and then the trauma residents round at Overland Park. Lower levels run the list with upper levels around 6:30 am then the group will break off into their daily assignments. Tuesdays are education days which could range from lectures/presentations from the residents to OrthoBullets questions. Closer to the OITE exam, they do much more prep with AAOS board-style questions. Education is led by upper-level residents with a lot of lower-level questioning and teaching. Thursday is fracture conference led by the PGY-2 and PGY-4 residents on trauma as well as Dr. Kesl and Dr. Black (trauma attendings). Great fracture conference reviewing the week's interesting cases with included literature reviews. Lots of questioning again focused on the PGY 1-3 residents. Students are included in education and read radiographs and get asked student-level questions. Students will do a 5-7 minute presentation on an orthopedic topic in the last week of their rotation.

Operative Experience: Great operative experience for the residents. It seemed like it varied by attending, but for the most part, there was always a lower-level and upper-level resident in every case. Usually, the PGY 3-5 resident would do the case and the lower level was assisting but did see PGY 1/2 doing cases as well that were appropriate. Some of the PGY-1/2s were doing TKAs which was very cool and impressive. As a student, you are usually just assisting here. Don't know of any students actually getting to do surgery. You will get to scrub most cases unless at the surgery center since it was so small. Again, just depended on the surgery and how many residents were there. During cases, residents explain things and sometimes will ask questions to gauge their knowledge.

Clinic Experience: Differs by attending. Some will have you see patients and present and some will have you shadow them and some have you shadow the resident. Some large clinics here (40 patients). PGY 1/2s are in clinic more and then the upper levels in OR exclusively for PGY 4/5 years. They have clinics at NKC, OPR, Cameron, and Research.

Rotations:
PGY-1: Six months off service on vascular, general trauma, ED, and medicine. Six months on general orthopedics.
PGY-2: Three months pediatrics at Children's Mercy (CMH). Three months trauma. Six months general orthopedics.
PGY-3: Three months pediatrics (CMH). 3 months F&A, 2 months spine, 2 months hand, 2 months general orthopedics.
PGY-4: Three months trauma, three months oncology at University of Kansas (KU), 6 months general
PGY-5: General orthopedics

"General orthopedics" includes sports, joints, and general. They do a "pick system" where for PGY 1-3, the upper levels assign where you go for the day, but then PGY 4-5 choose what they do. So if you want to do sports, then as a 4 and 5, you can do a lot of those cases.

Research: Most of the residents have projects going on and will include students. KCU has a yearly research symposium as well where projects can be presented. Seems like residents got to go to a lot of conferences and courses. Dr. Boin is very active in research.

Lifestyle: It Seemed like the lifestyle here is very good. Very good life/work balance and good for a family. PGY 1/2 usually get to hospitals to round around 5:00-5:15 am and then the day ends at 5:00 pm. After that, the call team takes over from 5:00 pm-5:00 am. The call seemed relaxed as well. Home call (unless on pediatric rotation at Children's Mercy). On call about 1x/ week and then 1 weekend per month. Always an upper and lower resident on call together. Students got to choose if they wanted to do call as it was not required but did give you some extra face time with the residents/attendings.

Pros: Great operative experience, great family feel with well-read residents, including students during the day, great location, see a very broad collection of cases. All rotations are in Kansas City. Lots of other programs would send residents to other states for some rotations. They have some residents that rent out rooms in their homes. Really nice to live with a resident that can guide you a bit during your rotation. The program has been around for 50+ years and is only expanding. Adding hand, spine, and another sports surgeon.

Cons: One thing that was different here is the way they have students choose where they are going to be. The students basically get on Zoom and break up the weekly schedule together which was different and sometimes hard to know who to go with.

Student-Specific Experience: Overall, great rotation. One of the PGY-2 will send out a student packet before your rotation which is very helpful and has most of the info you need before starting. Hours are different every day and can vary depending on how many other students are on. Some days I worked all day and others I took half days of clinic. Felt like I got to meet most everyone. If you go here and be teachable, not annoying and just a friendly person, you will do well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Program: Larkin Community Hospital

Hospital: Larkin community hospital (Miami, FL) 100 some beds
Larkin Palm Springs (Miami, FL) 100 some beds
Delray medical center (Delray), years 2-5 they spend 3 months per year there
Arnold Palmer (Orlando, FL),
Roanoke Memorial Hospital (Roanoke, VA)
Some hospital in Tampa FL

Location: It’s Miami, you either love it or hate it lol. I only got to go to Larkin main hospital and it’s not the best. Outdated, small, have to pay for parking (but no one really does cause the city never gives tickets around the hospital). Residents get free food in the cafeteria, as a student just say you are a resident and you’ll get free food too. But the cafeteria hours suck, like breakfast is from 8-9:30. Lunch from 11-1pm and that’s really it, bring food with you. Larkin is only about 15-20 min from down town Miami with a ton of stuff to do which is nice. A bunch of residents live downtown Miami or in Davie about 30-40 min north.
Update: I was told by students who rotated after me that Larkin main updated all their ORs in Dec 2022, so its nicer now.

Attendings: Dr. Corces - PD, joints trained. I literally cannot say enough good things about this guy. Even after all the negatives around this program, this is one of the best PD’s I’ve worked with. All the residents love him and they all talk about how he really saved and turned the program around. He cares about the program and the residents a lot. He’s always listening to what they have to say about the rotation / other docs they work with and makes changes wherever it’s needed. He’s also a great teacher in the OR and gives the residents a good amount of autonomy. This program will not be my first choice but if I match here I know it will be fine with him as the PD.

Dr. Stanziola - sports trained but does a lot of joints work. Super nice attending, very easy going. Doesn’t let the residents do as much as some other attendings but everyone loves him cause he’s so chill.

Dr. Robla – joints. Let’s the residents do a lot, probably the most autonomy of any attendings I worked with other than Corces

Dr. Deliberato - new joints attending, finished fellowship a year ago. doesn’t let the residents do much. He’s also always talking about how much he hates the hospital and Miami so I wouldn’t be supposed if he left in the next couple years lol.

Residents: 9/10 great group, super friendly. Most of the residents are roommates with each other. They all get along really well, defiantly one of the more relaxed groups. Chiefs were supportive of everyone and were always getting feedback about the rotations so they could talk to the PD if anything needed to be changed.

Didactics/Education: 8/10 Conference was every Friday from 6-10am. Usually a couple presentations plus fracture conference. Students read x rays, interns gave plans, etc. The PD always sets a goal for everyone to score 90th percentile on their OITE, which they almost always do.

Operative Experience: 6/10 Since you really only get to rotate through joints I didn’t get to work with too many residents or attending. But the chiefs were confident in the OR. PD pretty much lets them do total hips/knees skin to skin. There was a lot of double scrubbing from what I saw. Attendings I worked with did teach a lot in the OR. You don’t get to do too much as a student here, mainly just holding retractors and basic stuff. From what I was told they get a good amount of autonomy/teaching at their other rotation. On trauma at Kendal the attending lets them run the whole show, similar with trauma in VA. On hand they work with Dr. Orbay so its a great opportunity to jump on some research with him, but he doesn’t let the residents do much. Residents always make it into the fellowships they want.

Clinic Experience: As a student you will do a lot of clinic. I had weeks where I was in the OR every day and others where I was in clinic 4 days so it varies. You will see patients on your own, make plans and then present them to the attending, usually its the PD. He’s very fast in clinic and its very high volume. I would say I probably saw 15+ patients each clinic day. They also let you do injections. There will usually be 1-2 residents/students there with you who will also be seeing patients. Attendings and residents will teach during clinic whenever something interesting comes up. Their EMR is med host. Think they use Epic in Orlando/Virginia

Research: Residents are required to do research, it’s a bit more than ACGME requires but not by much. The residence do work with attendings on projects. They were doing some clinical trial while I was there. It’s not hard to jump on other residents projects as well. Like I mentioned above they do work with Dr. Orbay on hand research so that’s a great connection if you are internet in hand. One major downside is that Larkin doesn’t cover the submission cost, so they end up paying out of pocket unless the attending covers it. They did say they were working on having Larkin cover the cost. Point is if you plan on publishing a lot this probably is a program for you.

Lifestyle: 8/10 Lifestyle as a resident was pretty good. As an intern when you rotate through joints you’re usually expected to get there around 5:30 and then you round with the attending, usually around 6 before cases go in. On general Ortho as an intern it can be a bit more unpredictable, usually longer hours but nothing crazy. When you do your 3 months of trauma in Virginia as a pgy2 you will work crazy long hours. Otherwise I would say there lifestyles pretty good, most days they are out by 4:30 or 5, every now and then cases would run late into the night. Again since I didn’t get to see their offer rotations I didn’t really see what their life was like there, but from what they told me it’s pretty decent.

Pros: if you want to do joints this is a good program for you, they get a ton of exposure and autonomy in joints. Miami is a great place to live. The schedule is pretty great. Their trauma experience is decent. OR staff was really nice. Super early operative experience, interns scrubbing on their first day and in the OR multiple times per week when on ortho service.

Cons: Super low pay, the residents always said how they were the lowest paid residency in the country, think interns only made 44k. Larkin has pretty old facilities. Residents have to pay to submit research. Lots of double scrubbing from what I saw (but not on all rotations from what im told). Lots of travel between different hospitals, a lot of which are very far apart. You spend a total of 1 year outside of South Florida, rotating in Tampa, Orlando, and Virginia. You will spend 3 months per year as a pgy3-5 in Delray, which is almost an hour and a half north of Miami. That’s why a bunch of residents live in Davie, since it’s about half way between Miami and Delray. So you really only spend 6 months per year in Miami. Op experience is not the greatest.

Student Specific Experience:
This program really surprised me in a good way. Pretty much everything you’ve heard about Larkin is true, it’s not a nice hospital and the majority of their residencies are pretty bad. With that said this is by far the best residency program they have, and I’m not just saying that because I rotated here lol. The PD really cares about this program, he’s really turned it around and it’s definitely heading in the right direction. It still have some improvements to be made, but its come a really long way. As a student you get to do a lot in clinic. The OR staff at Larkin is super cool and you really feel like you’re part of the team by the end of the rotation. If you come here you really need to speak Spanish, the majority of your patients will speak no English. I can’t say I learned a ton of general Ortho knowledge on this rotation, but I learned a ton about joints while I was here. Not much pimping here, mainly just during Friday conference. Students are expected to get there before interns in the morning to pre-ground on patients and update the list. The list usually isn’t too long so I would get there maybe 20 minutes before the resident to round and it was fine. While I was there they were only rotating 3 students per month, and they have 4 residents per year so definitely seems like a high-yield rotation. They do have a decent amount of MDs in the program now, but from what the PD was saying he intends to take at least half DO’s from here on. The last class that matched only had one MD. I can say that I really did enjoy this rotation.

Program: Riverside University Health System (Moreno Valley, CA)

Residents per Class: 3

Hospital:
RUHS - a county hospital in Moreno Valley CA. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the desert. They get a lot of trauma and contract with a bunch of prisons so they have an entire wing of the hospital dedicated to prisoners, it’s literally a jail inside the hospital.

Children’s Hospital of Orange County – They spends 3 months here as a 3 and as a 4. Don’t go as a student but they say it a great experience. There is housing provided for the residents there because it about an hour from RUHS.

Kaiser – in Moreno valley area, think they spend 3 months here as a 5 doing sports. Don’t go as a student but also told its great.

Location: Moreno Vally, CA. Not much to do there but you will be at the hospital all the time so it won’t really matter lol. It is pretty close to some cool places, 1.5hr to LA, 1.5hr to San Diego, 1hr to Newport Beach, Mounties and hiking is like 1hr away. Also the residents take a trip each year to Mammoth mountain which is cool. But Moreno Valley is middle of no where desert with lots of meth users lol.

Attendings: these are just the attendings I worked with the most, but I still only had minimal interactions with most of them

Dr. Faerber - PD, very little patience in the OR, wants things done quickly. Does take time to teach residents but comes off as a bit abrasive, he has a very old school east coast vibe. He does care a lot about the program and residents, he has their backs. He is very committed to taking DO’s.

Dr. Caputo - upper extremity/hand attending, won’t talk to you much as a student but he’s really nice.

Dr. Sherman - trauma/joints guy. Will let you know if you are doing anything wrong and make you learn from it. If he’s in a bad mood just keep your mouth shut and stay out of his way, but when he’s in a good mode he’s hilarious. Hard on the residents but they respect him.

Dr. Powers - sports, nice guy, teaches in the OR and pimps some but nothing too hard.

Dr. Robinson - trauma, this guy can fix anything and can fix anything the resident mess up, overall nice guy

Dr. French - joints surgeon, RUHS ortho grad, he’s the guy who gets all the RUHS residents into the Scripps joints fellowship in San Diego.

Residents: Great group, probably my favorite of all the programs I rotated at. Super laid back and always joking around. Chiefs are very supportive and run the program.

Didactics/Education: Minimal, after morning rounds a few days per week they have a small presentation and do some ortho bullets questions. There is fracture conference on Wednesdays but it was canceled a few times while I was there. Several residents told me that there is a lot of self studying when it comes to boards, but they all still do well on boards.

Operative Experience: 10/10 Really the highlight of this program is the op experience. You will not find a better operative experience anywhere else. There are cases going every day, including weekends. I never went a day without at least 1 case, usually they have minimum 2-3 cases a day on weekends and 5-8 on week days, busy days they will have 15+ cases across 4-5 ORs. They have the main hospital ORs and an out patient surgery center/clinic attached to the hospital. Attendings run 2 rooms each. You don’t get much your first 1.5 years but starting year 3 and really toward the end of second year you are in the OR all the time. Attendings give the residents a lot of autonomy which could be a downside for some people. PGY3s regular ran their own OR’s. It is a very trauma heavy program and has minimal foot and ankle experience, so take that into consideration. The joke they always said was you graduate from this program having completed a trauma fellowship. The only attending who doesn’t let the residents do as much is Dr. Schlechter (peds) and the spine guys, but even then that’s only in comparison to how much the other attendings let them do. This program has more autonomy than any other program.

Clinic Experience: they do a lot of clinic, so much that they complained about it being too much. They have a resident run clinic every day, its divided up amongst which residents go to the OR and which go to clinical, most days clinical was done by 3-4pm. As a student it’s fun because they will let you see patients in your own and then present it to one of the residents to build a plan and everything. They use Epic.

Research: they have required research and do have dedicated research time, but no dedicated research block. Some residents and attending publish, others don’t do any.

Lifestyle: Pretty terrible first 2 years with a lot of scut work. There is always a PGY2 in the hospital and they run the floor, so the hours second year are the worst I’ve seen or even heard of. Gets better years 3-5 especially since they are only on call 1 out of 5 weekends. Seniors really only come in to operate on weekends.

Call schedule: (I don’t remember this 100% but this is a basic overview) interns work 12 on 2 off, no ortho call. 2’s work 4 months of nights but they make there own schedules at the beginning of the year so it’s broken up how they want. 2’s also have in house 24hr weekend call every other weekend. 3-5’s have weekend call 1 out if 5 weekends, it’s all home call so they only come in to operate and round in the morning. Depending on the weekend they might come in 1-2 times or could be here all weekend, but it’s usually not that bad for them. Also, when they are there peds rotation they take call Q4 but that only for a couple months.

The residents take a yearly ski trip to mammoth and a trip to Vegas so that’s cool. But don’t expect to get much vacation time first 2 years, and by not much I mean like you’ll be lucky to get a week off.
They do get the opportunity to moonlight in years 4-5 (at Kaiser I think) for about $800 per shift.

Pros: OP experience is second to none, very trauma heavy (could be a con for some), tons of autonomy

Cons: Location, first 2 years suck.

Student Specific Experience: This was a great rotation. Almost everyone in the hospital was really nice. There is a lot of autonomy for students and they’ll let you do a ton here. It was up to the students each day to decide who was going to the OR/clinic/the floor etc. Residents regularly took time to teach us and as a student you won’t get pimped much, usually just on some anatomy in the OR. But the residents straight up told us they don’t expect us to know much ortho knowledge other than common fracture classifications. There were maybe 6 students rotating while I was there, but 3 of them were podiatry/PA student and med student get priority in the OR. They do interview everyone they rotate. Good rotation overall all, I would be a great surgeon if I ended up here.

Last edited:
Program: Jefferson NJ (Rowan)

Residents per Class: 5

Hospital: Jefferson Cherry Hill ~300 beds
Jefferson Washington Township ~250 beds
Virtua Hospital

Location: Hospitals are about 20 min outside Philly in NJ, about half the residents live downtown while the other half live in the suburbs. Lots of thing to do in Philly, and tons of restaurants in the suburbs too. The CH and Wash hospitals both recently had major upgrades done, so both have very new facilities. Great OR’s at both hospitals, a bit better at CH. As a student you don’t go to Virtua so can’t speak on that. The food at the hospitals is fine, but nothing great, residents usually bring their own food. Call room at CH is pretty good, but a bit dated since it’s in the older section of the hospital. Call room at wash sucks but they said they are building a new one.

Attendings: Overall, they have great attendings. Lots of teaching but not the best autonomy. Just a few of the attendings I worked with:

Dr. Daniel - PD, foot and ankle. Very intense military guy, expects a lot from residents but teaches a lot. He is very good in the OR, one of the best I’ve seen. Will pimp you a bit but nothing too bad, mainly just basic anatomy. Residents all said he really cares about the program and they all respect him.

Dr Harrer - APD, joint. Awesome attending, everyone loves him. He will take you and his resident out for food after cases. Super high volume, does 6-7 hip/knees on OR days, usually done by 1-2pm. Lets the residents do a ton and teach residents and students a lot. Very little pimping in the OR.

Dr. Austin - shoulder elbow. Nice guy, doesn’t talk with you too much as a student. Only really does shoulders in his practice.

Dr. Barry Gleimer - general ortho. A true general orthopedic surgeon extremely smart. He can talk for hours about anything in the field of orthopedics. His son is spine trained and also works with the program.

Dr. Kahn - sports. Very chill, loves to each during rounds.

Residents: 7/10 Good group, defiantly more on the serious side of programs I rotated at. There was a very obvious hierarchy amongst the residents. Most residents were chill, others literally hated students for some reason lol.

Didactics/Education: 8/10 Conference is on Mondays from 5:30pm to 8pm and Fridays from 5:30am to 8am. Monday evening conference sucks, especially if you have been in the OR all day. Lots of pimping student and interns here. Fracture conference is on Friday mornings and its pretty much an hour of pimping students non stop lol, but not in a bad way. Interns and 2’s are required to do weekly ortho bullets questions and whenever we had down time the seniors would go through ortho bullets with the juniors and students. This programs defiantly had the most pimping (not in a bad way) and teaching of any program I went to.

Operative Experience: 7/10 They get to work with some of the literal best ortho surgeons in the world, but with that comes a lack of autonomy. The attendings will teach a lot in the OR, but I never saw a resident do a case skin to skin other than a basic hip fracture. Also, because the attending’s all have their own practices they really want things done quick, so they don’t give the residents time to struggle though cases. With all that said, from what I did see they residents do they were good.

Clinic Experience: Not much clinic as a students, as a residents its usually 1-2 days per week depending on the rotation. I did get to see patients when in joints clinic. Attendings would teach some when there was downtime.

Research: Strong point of this program. They are required to do 3 first author pubs by the time they graduate, and are expected to really do 1 first author per year. They have a huge support network for research including research fellows to do most of the grunt work for you. Also Rothman attendings are required to do research, so starting a project or jumping on one I really easy as a resident.

Lifestyle: Intern year is rough at the start. Interns usually get in around 4am to update the list, but they said as they get more comfortable with things they can start coming in later, usually around 5ish. Morning sigh out is usually between 6 and 7am, evening sign out is at 5pm. Second year you take the most call. After second year things chill out a lot and there schedule is pretty nice. PGY2 take about 7 call shifts per month with at least 1 golden weekend per month. Only the 2’s work major holidays. Interns are the only ones to take in-house call, and it’s on weekends only. No post call day since everyone except interns take home call.
As a student you usually get there around 5-6am depending on when sign out is and leave at 5pm.

Pros: Foot and ankle, spine, joints. Decently well balanced program. Good lifestyle. Lots of research and great connections for fellowships. Great amount of teaching in the OR. Supportive PD.

Cons: Low trauma experience, only 3 months of trauma at Cooper (could be a pro for some). Not very much general ortho experience as most attendings are highly specialized. Maybe not as fun as some other programs. Super anal about their list.

Student Specific Experience:
This was a good rotation, I defiantly recommend you do it early since you will get pimped a ton and will learn a lot. I was pimped more here than almost any other rotation, but not in a bad way. If you get a question correct they will usually just keep asking you questions until you don’t know and then move on. Fracture conference is just an hour of non-stop high speed pimping lol. Chiefs would take time throughout the day to teach interns/students by reviewing x-rays and doing ortho bullets questions as a group. Hours weren’t bad, usually 6am-5pm. When you take call on the weekend the residents will usually send you home early if there is nothing to do, I got out at like noon. When I rotated I think there were 5-6 students but they rotate up to 8 per month. This isn’t the best rotation to try and get a LOR from because you don’t work with one attending for more than a few days and even with residents you don’t work with any one resident for a significant amount of time. You will spend a few days to a week with the PD, he was really the only attending who pimped me. He is very intense and expects a lot out of his residents. Residents mentioned that almost all of their attending are super specialized and it would be nice to have some more general attendings, so that’s something to consider. Compared to other programs I went to this was the most “academic” program, the residents were a lot more serious and there wasn’t as much joking around amongst residents or with attendings. Overall, not my favorite program mainly because of the lack of autonomy and lack of trauma. Also, they do not interview everyone who rotates, like they only interview half they people who rotate so not a high yield rotation.

Program: PCOM

Residents per Class: 4 (6 in PGY-4 and PGY-5 class, pre-merger)

Hospital: Main Line Health System (Lankenau/"Home base", Paoli) + Jefferson (Abington, only PCOM students rotate here though, shared with Temple and Jefferson residents) + St. Christophers Hospital (Peds, shared with Cooper, Guthrie, and Inspira residents)
Student rotation: 1-2 weeks at either Main Line Hospital (I did 2 weeks at Lankenau and 1 at Paoli) + 1 week at St. Chris. Only PCOM'ers get a week at Jeff Abington

Location: Philly area. Paoli hospital is like 45 mins outside of Philadelphia. St. Chris is in North Philly, Lankenau is in Wynnewood 10-15 mins away from Center City. They also rotate at Cooper for trauma/oncology just across the bridge in Camden like 10-15 mins away from Center City, a high-volume trauma center shared by Cooper, Inspira, Jeff NJ residents but don't bring students there.
Everyone lives in Philadelphia for the most part, all over

Attendings: (Not all who they all work with, just off the top of my head who I know/remember)
Dr. McPhilemy - (PD, extremely well-respected in Philadelphia as a long-time Rothman Institute attending and 76'ers head physician. General ortho. The key to getting noticed here is getting him to like you. Funny old dude that makes an attempt to get to know you in weekly clinic. Barely operates anymore, but on Fridays will have the residents do the entire case while he talks to you scrubbed in. Super down to earth. First impressions mean everything to him)
Dr. Ashley - (Joints @ Lankenau/Main Line. One of the only female attendings on staff, killer boss lady in the OR. Gets you super involved. Penn and Rothman-trained. Excellent teacher. One of my favorites to work with for sure)
Dr. Abboudi - (Hand @ Rothman. Didn't work with him, but heard great things about him. Some students got to scrub with him at Lankenau)
Dr. Sizer - (Joints @ Rothman. Program grad. Super formal, but very nice, and killer in the OR. He is very picky with students and what you do as all young joints attendings are, so pay attention. You will work with him in clinic and OR, so make sure you get to know him. He is definitely the future of the program)
Dr. Rosenblatt - (APD, Peds @ St. Chris. Super down to earth dude that every resident raves about. I only got to work with him one day and could tell I would love to train with him. Program grad and future PD, so make sure you get decent face time with him)
Dr. Sachs - (General ortho @ Rothman. One of the OG program grads still going. I did not work with him at all, but some students did, and stated he got them pretty involved in the OR)
Dr. Carl Deirmengian - (Joints @ Rothman. Brother is also a Rothman attending and probably the more respected one, but less friendly. Does not like students in the OR. Pretty much wants you to stand in the corner and say/do nothing. Not uncommon for joints attendings though)
Dr. Getz - (Sports @ Rothman. Did not work with him, but other students said he's super rude and will basically grill you about the most obscure topics you cannot prepare for. He has no say in resident selection so don't worry. Great experience working with him though)
Dr. Krueger - (Joints @ Rothman. Did not work with him either cause he operates out of Abington. Well published and a rising star in the joints world for sure)
Dr. Fuchs - (F&A @ Rothman. Did not work with either, operates out of Abington, young attending so heard he's iffy with letting residents do much on complex cases)
Dr. Craig - (Trauma @ Rothman. Chief at Abington, did not work with, but heard he's got a dry sense of humor and lets residents fly)
Dr. Brahmabatt - (Sports @ Rothman. Operates out of Abington, so did not meet)
Dr. Danshaw - (Spine @ Main Line. Program grad)
Dr. Garino - (Joints @ Main Line. One of the oddest attendings I've worked with but really fun to work with. Used to be a fellowship director at Penn and built the department there, plus played a major role in creating joints devices, and decided to leave academics. Made sure you felt like you were involved and let the residents fly)
Dr. Kazanjian - (General ortho @ Main Line. All the residents love him. Program grad. Wish I met)
Dr. Kester - (Sports @ Main Line. Program grad. As someone interested in sports, got really lucky working with him and seeing how he interacted with the 5th year going to Andrews for fellowship. You can tell as a young attending, he's really trying to make a name for himself as a leader in the field and teaching the residents how to do complex scope cases)
Dr. Rubenstein - (Sports @ Lankenau/Main Line. Really well respected and team coach for Phillies. Hate I didn't work with him. One of the resident's favorite attendings)
Dr. Shah - (Trauma @ Lankenau/Main Line. Awesome attending. Scrubbed into 2 acetabulum cases and they even got the intern involved in one. The most down to earth attending outside of Rosenblatt I interacted with for sure. Working with him surely gives residents confidence before going to Cooper for their heaviest trauma blocks)
Dr. Schmidt - (Oncology @ Lankenau/Main Line. Really random I worked with him one day, but glad I did just to see how he interacts with residents. He let the junior resident in the case fly, which was great to see. Acted like I wasn't there though which, whatever. Has no say in resident selection)
Dr. Kwon - (Peds @ St. Chris. Super funny guy. Got to work with him one day on a few cases and got to know me. Let the PGY-2 do entire cases pretty much)
Dr. Gattuso - (Peds @ St. Chris. Program grad. Seems awesome, but only got to meet her in grand rounds)
Dr. Herman - (Peds @ St. Chris. Longtime attending and head of the peds ortho department at St. Chris. Super well respected attending in peds ortho. Loved working with him in clinic)
Dr. Safier - (Peds @ St. Chris. Probably my least favorite working with at St. Chris, really rude to students for the most part. Has zero say in resident selection, just smile and be courteous)
Dr. Avart - (General ortho @ Rothman. One of the OG's with Dr. McPhilemy and Dr. Sachs. Jealous that other students got to work with him because he has a big say in resident selection, but definitely someone people love working with)
+ Cooper trauma/oncology attendings (Heard Dr. Kim, one of the oncology attendings is their best attending of all. They work with the trauma department for the most part but may cover cases for sports/hand/peds attendings that get called in for cases)

Residents: It's a broad mix of a group. Classes are vastly different from others. I liked the PGY-2 class the best, all super down to earth, fun, and wanting to get to know the students. The PGY-3 class was the weirdest bunch, ranged from super introverted/stand-offish to broey and extroverted. The PGY-4 and PGY-5's are your quintessential "bros" that just love a good time and are very friendly to students. Intern class I liked everyone except one that reeked of arrogance and would gossip about other students behind their backs in front of us which wasn't cool. Female residents also seemed like they were well integrated within the group. You can easily find your "crew" here though. Everyone seems like they are close and tight-knit, they always hang-out weekly together at a local brewery after conference and on days off. Super supportive of those with families too which I loved. A PGY-5 female resident just had a baby, and a PGY-1's wife just had one as well. The year before that a female PGY-5 gave birth as well. Definitely a family-friendly residency where everyone's significant others are well-integrated within the group with wives/GF's all being friends.

Didactics/Education: This was a con for me, that may be a strength for some. Didactics are Thursday's from 2-6 pm. You have off if you are post-call or stuck in a case/work duties. Didactics are completely resident run. Students sit in the very front, but usually aren't asked any questions. The way they do it is they go through a few lectures, chiefs ask row by row (1's to 3's) questions, they do some orthobullets questions the same way, and then do fracture conference where each junior resident goes up to the front of the room with a microphone and reads an x-ray/goes through the treatment algorithm. I was easily zoned out because students weren't particularly involved despite us being in the front of the room where we had to pay attention, but also because I felt like they tried to fit so much in these sessions, that it always felt super rushed. Other students liked having only one day for 4 hours, ending at an early enough time, and that it felt less informal than other programs, but I definitely felt like I'd benefit with more education sessions per week. 4's and 5's pretty much aren't paying attention at all working on other things unless they are the ones presenting/pimping, so it's definitely more for the junior residents. Because they almost always run out of time though, students rarely get asked to read an X-ray in front of the room, but are required to do so on their last week. I know I'd benefit from a more structured/more formal education session, but I get that it's person-dependent. They tend to do decent on OITE and all do well on boards.

Operative Experience: I think this was very attending-dependent. Also think it was resident-dependent as well. As with any program, there will be your rockstar residents and the ones that obviously may need more guidance. Younger attendings tend to be more handsy, but because they work with a large amount of attendings on the older side, resident autonomy was very evident as early as intern year/PGY-2. Definitely a strength of the program compared to other academic places around Philly. I was scrubbed with a PGY-3 that impressed me with how well he handled a complex acetabulum case, and with junior residents on trauma cases that came in, and they were pretty confident operatively. The only time I was with a junior resident not being actively involved in a case, was with a Rothman sports guy Dr. Getz, but they do get plenty of sports experience and I saw that on my rotation. Every 4 and 5 I scrubbed in were pretty much doing entire cases. Strengths: Joints, peds, sports, hands down, you get early op exposure in these subspecialties and also work with their best attendings. Their most impressive/most common fellowship matches come from these specialties. Spine is also decent, I have zero interest at all, but they tend to do very well in spine fellowship matches. They have the strongest trauma experience out of all the DO programs in the area imo. I think Abington and Lankenau gives them the experience they need to succeed at Cooper. One of their 4's is going into trauma and is extremely knowledgable/talented in the OR when it comes to trauma. I personally don't care for a ton of trauma experience and would prefer less as someone likely going for sports, but it's doable here (Nothing like York, OKState etc). If they have a weakness it'd probably be hand, with a low hand case volume/no dedicated hand rotation, but one of their 4's is going into hand and made an effort to cover extra cases with Rothman attendings and the Cooper chief (who does very complex hand cases/trauma), so it's doable, just gotta go out of your way. Overall op experience is probably 8/10

Clinic Experience: Very minimal clinic experience. They make it an effort for students to be involved in as many cases as possible, BUT you are required to go to clinic with Dr. McPhilemy once a week. It's pretty chill, but very annoying. All students come together which I didn't like. Not because I particularly didn't like them (we were a great group of guys), but everyone basically tried their best to get on his good side, which I felt was counterproductive. When you come in early, before clinic he will have a convo about a fun topic with everyone, but it's very clear that the gunners of the group or those that feel they needed to make a name for themselves will try to do so, and just aren't normal about it lol. I think he can easily pick out the "try hards" though. So just be normal. Don't speak over anyone else. Don't try to "one up" your co-rotators cause he can see that, and it was very obvious when he picked up on that. Clinic is fine, just shadowing for the most part. You will either be with McPhilemy, Sizer, or Sachs from 8-12 alternating per week. Some students will deliberately lie and say they haven't been with McPhilemy and try to be with him for 3 weeks, don't do that, he knows. Get to know Sizer, he's very cool and someone you should show face with. Residents barely go to clinic however, only interns do once a week if they are at Lankenau.

Rotations: For the most part you alternate Main Line PGY-1 and PGY-2 year, and start going to Abington starting your 2nd year. Peds and trauma off-site PGY-3, Trauma/Onc off-site PGY-4 year. On-site rotations are by hospital, not by subspecialty/attending

Research : Research is definitely required, but I think it's more of a "Have a project you're working on and finish by PGY-5" kind of thing. Many residents active in research, and many do not care at all. Opportunities are there if you want it. They have not the best connection to their Rothman attendings, but you could contact them to get something going. You just have to be very proactive yourself to get things done. Cooper is pretty active in research as well. They have a yearly research symposium many of their residents present at. Multiple residents did research years prior to residency.

Lifestyle: I think lifestyle is not the roughest, but by all means not sunshine and rainbows compared to maybe Jeff NJ in terms of osteopathic programs. They have a serious issue with call coverage since they lost the two residency positions in the merger, which is further complicated with the Cooper residents having to cover at Cooper. In fact, they'll have their residents on peds having to also cover call shifts at Lankenau/Paoli, just to make sure they have enough coverage. Interns don't seem to have it as rough as I've seen though, with it less rough at Paoli and on off-service rotations. PGY-2's look tired, but not overworked. I think I remember at Abington one of the 4's takes call, which I thought wasn't normal though. Not sure if all of this will be improved/changed in the next coming years, but leadership is well aware of this fact and trying to do something about the call schedules.

Pros:
Reputation of program - This is a very well-respected osteopathic program in the midst of several Philadelphia Orthopaedic programs. They produce some excellent surgeons that graduate a competent general surgeon to tackle any fellowship training. They have a track record of getting into the fellowships they want, albeit mostly less "academic" places, but Scripps, Andrews, FOI etc. are extremely strong options in recent years, and they have the alumni network to make it happen for the future.
Op experience - They definitely emphasize that here, starting to get the interns tackling basic/bread and butter cases at least 1-2 days a week if they are on service, so not only doing a bunch of floor work and being holed up in the call room all day. By PGY-3 and above, definitely are competent. They get more Cooper trauma experience than any other DO program in the area, and I think Lankenau is higher volume for trauma than the other DO program's "home bases" as well, so you get a robust trauma experience. Could be a con for some like me who just want to cover the basics and get more scope experience, but it does make for a competent surgeon to take general call.
Minimal clinic experience - Con for some, but it's nice not to have to be going to clinic and focus on operating. Some residents expressed concerns that they may not feel comfortable running their own clinic, but others felt it's easy to gain that comfort within a short time after graduation
Culture - PD/APD clearly are dedicated towards resident education and keeping the PCOM name strong. Residents make sure to foster a family-style atmosphere. Great group of people, with a few bad apples but the great definitely outweighs the bad.

Cons:
Commuting - Can be an hour+ commute coming home from Paoli or Abington. And 30+ from Lankenau depending where you live in Philly.
Research - Have to go out of your way to get on projects. Because you sporadically work with certain attendings, the strong relationships really aren't there for the more research-minded ones. You have to be proactive to get on projects because these attendings aren't pushing for residents to get on projects. Less help getting things done, so more time being used getting the projects done in your busy schedule.
Didactics - Only one day for 4 hours, very informal, seemed kind of rushed most of the time. A pro for some however that are more self-directed, and just want education over with/not in the mornings
Less relationships/consistency with attendings - This was probably the reason it wasn't my #1. Not a mentorship model, so you aren't working with the same attending for weeks on end, and really getting to know them. You kind of sporadically work with multiple attendings/subspecialties per week. For me, I know I'd benefit from more focused learning on one task at hand (say, joints), and knew I wouldn't thrive moving from sports, joints, trauma cases etc. per week. I also think it would build a more organic relationship working with the same attendings every day on a specific service (Hand for two months for ex). Most DO programs are like this though, without a dedicated subspecialty rotation and scrubbing with different types of ortho specialties per week. Some see a benefit to more variety/working with more attendings per month though. Some of the senior residents have to go out their way to work more with the Rothman attendings to get letters/advocacy, which I found very peculiar as well. Not completely surprising, cause when it comes to certain attendings (especially Rothman attendings, somewhat St. Chris and Cooper) I feel like they have residents there to teach them/cover cases and not necessarily get to know them/mentor them in their careers, so have to do a little extra to try and get that. I will say Dr. McPhilemy, Dr. Shah, Dr. Kester, Dr. Rosenblatt, Dr. Avart, and Dr. Sizer are really the attendings you're guaranteed to get close with/guidance, and they are fantastic. They work with GREAT people though, but this is unlike an academic or MD program where you have a sizable group of people you get to know longitudinally/go out their way to know and mentor residents, it's analogous to what we all know is like being at a DO school where you have to do a little extra work to make those connections

Student-Specific Experience: This was probably my most "chill" rotation for sure. For the most part, came in at 6 am- 5/6 pm every day (can stay later to see/help with consults if you want after cases are done). The goal is to get students in as many cases as possible and to work with as many residents as possible. Lankenau is their busiest site, usually will have plenty to scrub into there. Paoli being further out the philly suburbs was a bit odd, some days really busy, some days with nothing going on. Expectations for students were to basically be as helpful as you can, be normal, and not in the way per usual. This is definitely a program that is looking at who they would like to work with the best, not the most knowledgeable, so a lot less "grilling" students than most. In fact, I actually wish they asked more questions so I can show I was studying and being prepared lol. They emphasized teaching more than asking questions, so a lot of what they can ask you was answered by them at least in my experience. The residents really try to get to know you as a person here, so "fit" is definitely emphasized more than anything. So BE NORMAL. Thursdays are half days in clinic, and the rest is conference. They invite students to various outings during the month, the weekly brewery trip (optional) or any other things done on the weekend, so you can see how they all are outside of a work setting. Weekend call is completely optional, in fact I took zero call shifts simply because they emphasized us to take advantage of the free time while we can and explore the city. Student involvement in cases is varied, Dr. McPhilemy let me practice scoping while Dr. Rosenblatt let me drill and screw some, and other attendings like Dr. Ashley, Dr. Shah, Dr. Garino, and Dr. Kwon allowed me to be very involved in cases. However there were a few that basically wanted me to stand there and touch nothing (mostly joints attendings) but I really didn't care much about that, what mattered was how they had the residents involved in cases which was what I was paying attention to. In between cases residents will put up fractures for you to read/practice going through a treatment algorithm to help prepare you for your fracture read at the end of your rotation which was helpful. PCOM itself though had its biggest class going into ortho this year however (13 matched, with likely more applied), and they are all very strong. Most PCOM students had 2-3 ortho rotations before they even end up in audition season, which is why they are obviously strong candidates. I didn't notice any prevalent PCOM bias on my rotation though, but I do see why they'd be highly ranked/rank PCOM highly based on how I've seen them rotate on the trail. Like any DO "home program" though, the residency program is so far removed from the medical school, so I think everyone is on a level playing field. Overall, this was definitely one of my favorite rotations, and I highly recommend. If applying here though, make sure you turn in your application early, they limit number of rotators and it's first come first serve. Do a decent job, and you'll interview here which is nice to know.

Program: Jefferson NJ

Residents per Class: 5

Hospital: Jefferson NJ Hospitals in Cherry Hill and Washington Township (Home Base), Cooper in Camden, NJ for Trauma and Oncology (Shared with Cooper, Inspira, PCOM residents, only Level I Trauma Center in South Jersey), Dupont/Nemours Childrens Hospital in Wilmington DE for Peds (Shared with Jeff Main/TJUH, Georgetown, Mt. Sinai, and Seton Hall residents, Major peds ortho hospital with leaders in the field) , Virtua Hospital in Mount Holly, NJ (Sports, Spine, Joints, Hand)

Location: Cherry Hill is like 15-20 mins away from Philadelphia, Washington Township like 20-25 mins away from Cherry Hill and Philadelphia, Camden like 10-15 mins away from Philadelphia, Wilmington DE and Mount Holly like 35-40 mins away from Philadelphia
I'd say majority residents live in Philly, many live in South Jersey

Attendings: (Definitely not all, sorry)
Dr. Daniel (PD, F&A - Rothman) - Program grad. Some say he's intense, but I think he's just more formal/serious cause of his military background. My dad is military so I got small snippets of my dad. He is very friendly/down to earth once he gets to know you, and a lot more relaxed and kind to his residents than students. Honestly think he just acts that way initially to see how you respond. Extremely busy F&A practice, up to 11 cases per day.
Dr. Harrer (APD, Joints - Rothman) - Probably my favorite attending by far from the group that I've worked with. Super friendly, gets to know you really well. Just had a blast being with him and probably the biggest selling point of the program. He is very high volume joints guy at Rothman. He could have 8-10 total joints scheduled with 2 rooms. He makes sure you are learning and actually wants the residents/students get handsy in the OR. Didn't even understand joints until I worked in the OR with him in just one day, putting it into perspective and really explaining every step fully.
Dr. Austin (S&E - Rothman) - I did not work with, but I was jealous of the people that did. Extremely well-respected S&E surgeon in the Philly/Jersey area. Lets even junior residents start tackling TSA's and distal humerus trauma from what other students have seen
Dr. Greg Deirmengian (Joints - Rothman) - I did not work with, but this is the attending that basically teaches junior residents joints and how to independently operate when they work with him. The second year working with him said he's super strict, is a perfectionist, and gives very graduated autonomy once you know how to prove yourself. Brother is a PCOM attending, but I think Greg is the more reputable/productive in research one
Dr. Kepler (Spine - Rothman) - High volume spine attending at Rothman. Super duper nice. He did a lecture and I got to talk to him a bit. Apparently is the reason so many go into spine, but I think they tend to have students avoid spine cases.
Dr. Matzon (Hand - Rothman) - Don't know much about him other than he's a decently young attending, trained a Curtis hand (a big deal), and productive in research
Dr. Rivlin (Hand - Rothman) - Residents absolutely love working with him, and is the reason so many are going into hand. Harvard-trained, and productive in research
Dr. Salvo (Sports - Rothman) - Team doc for the Eagles, works with the Phillies as well. Really cool dude, and is probably their most reputable sports surgeon outside of Dr. McMillan. He is a fantastic teacher as well and does a lot of hip scopes which many don't do
Dr. Geiger (Oncology/Limb deformity - Rothman) - Brand new Rothman attending from HSS. They will work with him 2nd and 3rd year
Dr. Woods (Spine - Rothman) - Younger attending, trained at Pitt and Rothman. Students won't work with
Dr. Kirschner (Spine - Kirschner Spine Institute) - Private practice long-time attending. He's a huge deal in the South Jersey area. One of the first in the area to do a variety of modern spine procedures including using artificial discs
Dr. Greenleaf (Spine - Reconstructive Ortho) - Younger private practice spine attending, don't know much about him.
Dr. Murray (Sports - Reconstructive Ortho) - Program Grad. Really really cool dude. Awesome to talk to. Busy sports practice, but he'll also tackle trauma cases and joints if need comfortably
Dr. Mariani (Joints/Trauma - Reconstructive Ortho) - Program Grad. Instrumental in the development of the development of the program. Super awesome dude. Scrubbed in with a PGY-3 and he was pretty much doing entire TKA's/THA's the day I was with him. Loves to talk philly sports and food.
Dr. Mora (Joints - Reconstructive Ortho) - I didn't work with him here, but did at Inspira. Really cool and an amazing teacher. Teaches both residents. Does robotic joints and does like 7-10 a day. Insane.
Dr. Jennings (Hand - Reconstructive Ortho) - Did not work with, but apparently lets residents fly, especially if going into hand
Dr. Paiste (Hand - private practice) - Did not work with, not even sure how often they work with him also, but he was mentioned as an additional hand attending
Dr. Barry Gleimer (General Ortho - Regional Ortho) - I only worked with Dr. Gleimer one day. He is probably the most "general" ortho surgeon I've worked with in a while. Every now in then does joints, hand, sports, and spine cases in one day which is crazy. Not the most student-friendly, but makes sure residents get really handsy, which is often common in older private practice surgeons, which is a good thing
Dr. Kahn (Joints/Sports - Regional Ortho) - He is joints-trained but definitely someone that can tackle everything. He covers trauma cases when on call, and also may do a decent amount of sports. Is a PCOM grad.
Dr. Jeff Gleimer (Spine - Regional Ortho) - Program Grad. Very different from his father who owns the practice. He loves teaching residents and has a busy spine practice. Heard nothing but great things about this attending.
+ Cooper Trauma/Oncology Attendings - Everyone raves about their rotations there, and feels like the attendings there truly care about their well-being and growth as surgeons. No favoritism/DO bias despite being with multiple programs including their own. You also work with spine/joints/sports/hand attendings since they all take call and Cooper is a very small residency that will need coverage. You have the option to do trauma twice as a 3rd and 4th year if you want, but most only do it once since the majority want to get more subspecialty of choice training. You do oncology as a 3rd or 4th year.
+ Dupont/Nemours Pediatric Attendings - Seems like they all love the peds experience. Most just commute 30-40 minutes to Wilmington, but housing is provided if they want. You share with multiple other programs while there including the main Jefferson Philly program. Dupont is a big deal in the peds ortho world as well, and you work with some big names in peds, which may work in your favor if interested fellowship-wise.

Residents: The best way I'd describe this group is the most "genuinely nice" group of residents that I've ever met. Obviously you have your typical bros that love to have a great time and into Philly/NY sports, but you also have your less extroverted ones that like to travel, go to breweries, explore the food scene, outdoorsy-type things, so a good mix of people that seem to really get along. It's a very tight-knit residency from top down, and it seems like all the classes are very close with one another which was very evident. This was the only rotation I was in that the chiefs went out their way to orient you before you start your audition, and have a phone call before to provide the most help possible. They are VERY enthusiastic about teaching, and make it clear that even if you have the most boring day ever with only 3-4 cases, they will make sure you learn as much as you can about those cases and other topics. This rotation I got asked the most questions because they want to teach and let you gain the most out of every experience. However, they do it in a very non-malignant and "nice way" which is the best way to put it. Questions are often higher-level, to give an intro into a prevalent teaching point, and they'll keep asking questions until you get some wrong, mainly to have you learn as much as you can out of that lesson. All really seem to love their program (pretty much everyone ranks it #1), so they will sell their program all month, but are also honest on what they are trying to change. They are all extremely hard-working and knowledgeable, but seem to prioritize a good balance in life. Many are single, married, have kids, so definitely a family-friendly atmosphere.

Didactics/Education: This is definitely the type of program that if you want accountability for gaining as significant amount of ortho knowledge in your limited free time on a regular basis, this is it. They have didactics 2x a week, Monday usually from 5-7/8 ish (often finishes early), and Friday from 5:45-8:30. Extremely structured, with lectures, review sessions (especially around OITE season), grand rounds, journal club, M&M, or fracture conference sessions. Residents usually run M&M, journal club, review sessions, and certain lectures, and they have several attending lecturers present (Mainly from Rothman, and many from other reputable institutions like MGH/Yale/Penn etc.). Chiefs run the didactics schedule. Fridays usually they have students do their monthly end-rotation presentation and do student fracture conference (round-table style). They do fracture conference and review sections similar to other programs, with the junior residents taking precedence in being questioned, but they heavily get students more involved, which I think could either work in your favor or not. I personally liked being put on the spot multiple times, because I slowly gained confidence in being "loud and wrong" lol. None of us were alone in our constant humiliation, but I personally learned way more about orthopedics in their didactics because we are so involved. As stated before, they are extremely nice about it, and know we are just medical students that don't know anything, they reiterated that several times. I will say, the first two weeks Monday didactics certainly hit me hard, especially coming from Jefferson WT to Jefferson CH, but as I got used to it it really wasn't that bad. I think however, I would prefer didactics more spread out, just so that I feel like I'm constantly learning something, but I can understand why they have it more spread out to focus more on clinical duties. Highest quality didactics sessions I've seen on the trail and extremely well organized.

Operative Experience: A pertinent thing to mention is that I think it err's on the side of a traditionally osteopathic program that prioritizes early operative experience and getting as many reps as possible on bread and butter cases as possible, but it also is a program reminiscent of traditionally MD/academic programs that prioritize getting reps on complex cases, with a focus on sufficient and robust subspecialty experience. They average around 2200 cases, which is more than most academic/MD places, but can be less than some blue collar/osteopathic places. I think it was a happy medium which is why it's often designated as an "academic DO program". You regularly work with world class surgeons with Rothman and reputable private practice orthopods that love teaching and have years of experience doing so. Unlike a good bit of programs I rotated at, interns were in the OR regularly throughout the week. In fact, one I know was definitely covering cases every day, and are usually the only resident scrubbed and thus heavily involved. I felt it kind of strange, but I guess with a bigger class they were able to have a floor intern and an OR intern often. They also get in the OR when on weekend call. The PGY-2's were very impressive in the OR, taking most total joints from skin to skin, tackling IT's/fem necks, and doing distal radius/both bone fx's all on their own. I did not work with PGY-3's that often, but on the F&A service, the third year was doing the approach and being guided through ankle replacements/ankle fractures. All the chiefs were running entire rooms themselves and felt very comfortable tackling cases, even more niche sports/hand/joints cases. Seems like all the chiefs were mainly doing cases in their desired subspecialty for fellowship however. I think they do a good job of splitting residents and making sure if they are double scrubbed, the junior takes priority in the case to be taught. Op experience for peds at Dupont is also something they rave about and is high volume/high complexity, because it's the only peds hospital in the area. I didn't get to talk to the residents over at Cooper to gain their perspective, but Cooper is a crazy place for trauma, high volume, and they get a ton of op experience when they work there. They also spoke highly about the oncology experience, which is actually a very busy practice and they see a lot of cool and rare stuff. The attendings at Cooper were all touted as amazing teachers, which adds to the positives of working with a diverse group of people.

Clinic Experience: Clinic was clinic, but I was glad to get an idea of what it was like. You only go into clinic with the program directors Dr. Daniel and Dr. Harrer. With Dr. Harrer, it's joints clinic, so you will get the chance to help with joint injections, physical exams, and eventually see patients on your own. Mainly it's just hanging out with him and the resident at clinic that day, super chill. Dr. Daniel's clinic is a bit more formal and mainly just shadowing. He will let you know exactly what he wants from you and encourages questions and interaction with the patients. Make sure you just don't get in his way and stay interested. Lots of students mess up by being on their phones or laptops, and just acting like they don't want to be there. This is a chance to really show who you are to him. Residents maybe only do clinic once a week if they are with Daniel or Harrer, not really sure if they do clinic with other attendings though. I'd rather have more days than the OR than in clinic, and it seems like they at least get some experience to know what it's like running a practice, but it only happens rarely vs. consistently throughout residency.

Rotations: Mentorship model, so the month(s) they are working with an attending the entire 2 months. I actually prefer this cause it's similar to most MD programs in where you work multiple months on a subspecialty "service" instead of having to worry about potentially losing out on certain experience. They make sure they get as much experience in all the subspecialties the first three years, because it's a fellowship-driven training program, and so the residents get exposed early. The residents seem to like this setup as well. Dr. Daniel caters their experience based on their interests, so you can do 6 months vs. 3 months of trauma at Cooper if wanting more trauma, or have an extra spine rotation per year if interested in spine, or working with Dr. Salvo and Dr. Mcmillan earlier and more often if interested in sports, or working with Dr. Matzon or Dr. Rivlin more if interested in hand etc. For interns though, seems like you work with whoever needs coverage and is available, which seems to be the Regional team at the earliest, so the structured rotation schedule is definitely more for PGY-2 and up. They at least try to get the interns' faces recognizable to most of the attendings on faculty before working with them, in addition to getting them acclimated to the way they run, so they aren't just thrown to the wolves. As with most programs, seems like it's definitely a graduated autonomy when it comes to gaining confidence in the OR. Unlike some programs that are private-practice heavy with attendings that rarely work with residents, most attendings come from an academic background where teaching is emphasized, or have years of experience teaching residents. I was concerned of that cause I've seen on some rotations with attendings that rarely work with residents/don't really get to know them sparingly get residents involved, but seems like they only work with attendings that are willing to teach, not just have an extra hand in cases.

Research: Research is probably one of the most important aspects of this program. The program is run by Rothman Institute attendings that make sure residents are getting at least 10-15 publications by the end of residency, and thus from day one, residents are paired with a "research mentor" at Rothman and are working on projects. I'm pretty sure by intern year, you have to have at least one paper done as well. This is a stand-out of the program, because they are very connected to the Rothman research network, have their own research fellow to get IRB's done/do literature reviews/pull data (a lot less leg-work than most programs), and build close relationships with the attendings they consistently work on projects with. This is definitely a reason why residents at this program often get their top fellowship choices/several top interviews, because most DO programs (and many MD) have to go out of their way to even get a few projects done in residency, nevertheless have strong relationships with the attendings they do research with. Rothman is one of the biggest names in ortho research because they also work with other big names at other institutions, and this helped a few of their residents develop even further connections at other big name institutions. Several residents including juniors attend and present at the AAOS conference every year, offering the opportunity for them to make even further connections while in attendance. That being said though, I'd argue even if you "hate research", I think this actually is a program for you, because you have significant help to get things going and completed, making it a less painful experience. Many residents that didn't do any research in medical school are well published by the time they apply to fellowship, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have concerns about lack of experience. Levels of involvement are varied, several just want to work on the bare minimum to get the best fellowship they want so they just do that, whereas others genuinely enjoy research and are heavily involved. You won't be shamed if you don't like research here since some actually don't, but it definitely will serve you well if you take advantage of the resources. For sure more productive/have better fellowship connections than several MD programs as well that make this program very popular.

Lifestyle: Lifestyle at least from my perspective is the best I've seen from most DO programs. Definitely not working 90+ hours a week like Jersey City, Youngstown, or York, but not working like only 40-50 like an attending. Nobody really complained about their call schedule like other programs I rotated with. They obviously work very hard, cause at the end of the day it is a surgical residency, but they definitely aren't "crushed" except maybe on trauma. Days working with Dr. Daniel and Dr. Harrer were extremely busy (Daniel goes like 12+ hours), but didn't seem like nothing the residents couldn't handle. They do a lot of outings as a group, and seem like they are happy for the most part, which I think has to do with the lifestyle they have contributing to their happiness. Residents definitely seem like they have a life, and being in close proximity to major big cities in the NE they are able to travel and have a good time on the weekends. Looks like they make an effort for most residents to have holidays off which is nice as well. Very family friendly residency.

Pros:
*Operative experience - They work closely with the highest quality surgeons in the area. Rothman itself is highly respected, and gives residents an operative experience that is probably even better than some of the MD programs in NJ/PA, but working with some of the top private practice surgeons in the area provides a very well-rounded experience as well, and gives more case reps in the other subspecialty areas. I think them working with Cooper and Dupont heavily contributes to the operative experience, being the largest volume trauma and pediatric centers in their area. They come out very well trained as general orthopedists like most other DO programs, but also have the added benefit of focused subspecialty rotations with some of the best in their respective fields which gives their residents an edge going into fellowship prepared.
*Lifestyle - Don't know how to describe it, but they look decently well rested and smile regularly, and seem to be human outside of a very busy work schedule. Obviously being a resident anywhere you go is hard, but this is a fantastic program for residents that at least want to hang with their significant others and families every once in a while and get 6-7 hours of sleep. Work-life balance is heavily emphasized here, similar to the Jefferson main program in center city philly, but they also grind and clearly work very hard and have goals to be great residents as well. Seemed like a lot of their residents have succeeded in finding a balance to being an excellent resident in training with a life outside of medicine, and their faculty emphasizes their well-being.
*Culture - Fantastic culture. Truly seems like they are all a family. It's hard to see that as a student rotating, but paying close attention I was able to see that they are a no-drama, close-knit, fun group. Even with the varying personalities, you could tell they at least enjoy each other's company. Most importantly, paying attention to the senior residents and the juniors' interactions, even if they made mistakes, they always responded in a positive, helpful manner. Everyone helped those junior to them in the best way possible. Obviously hierarchy exists as with any residency program, but they clearly try to help each other out with absolutely zero negativity. In fact, I saw some of them go out of their way to teach and help their interns and 2's when they could be handling their other many responsibilities which speaks a lot about the character of the program. They do quite a bit of resident outings regularly, and the PD's love hosting events for resident wellness. PD's are very responsive to feedback and regularly meet with residents as well, and the mentors the residents work with they develop close relationships as well.
*Research - Very much so a pro if you are someone like me that hates research but wants to get things done in the easiest way possible just to say you did some during residency to look good for fellowship. But also a pro if you are someone that loves research and wants to get a lot of things done because the Rothman research infrastructure will allow you to pump a ton of stuff out to your benefit. I see it as a con if you genuinely just hate research and don't want to be forced to do it at all, but at the end of the day any research could help you in the long-run.
*Career prospects - They develop really strong connections to Rothman attendings, who undoubtedly have connections to some of the top fellowships and practice groups in the country. Cooper and Dupont also make an effort to support their residents as well. The Jefferson and Rothman name holds a ton of weight in the world of ortho, a lot more than people think. Even as a DO program, they are able to get interviews that many MD candidates won't be able to get just because of the level of connections they have. Dr. Daniel's goal is to match everyone in their fellowship of choice, and most of them do get their top choices. They are often the only DO's at some of the most top tier fellowship interviews in the country. That being said, if you want to stay in NJ/PA, the private practice/Virtua groups they work with also have very strong ties to the area, and help with finding jobs out of fellowship. They have multiple grads that choose to work/will work for Rothman and in the area. Most elect to to go into private practice as most in ortho do, but the program will well-equip you for a career in academics with the right connections to make it happen.

Cons:
*South Jersey - Honestly the biggest turn-off for me was the South Jersey area. Washington Township, Glassboro, Voorhees, Camden, and Stratford sucks but are cheap. Obviously if you make a lot of money, you could live in nice suburbs like Moorestown, Haddonfield, Collingswood, Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill etc. to raise a family in a safe area with great schools, but with a resident salary, you're pretty much limited to very old, run-down or rural areas with not the best housing options. South Jersey is also very expensive in general. A lot of residents live in Philly which is great, but you have to consider paying for a $10 toll every day, living in a city paying hundreds for parking because you will need a car, paying a high rent fee, and commuting at least 40 minutes per day (and if you're at Washington Township on Mondays or Fridays, commuting to Cherry Hill and back for didactics is a lot to deal with). Somehow some of the residents have made it work, even the single ones with a single salary, cause QOL is important to them cause the affordable areas suck lol.
*Case volume - This is mixed. Some residents feel like they wish they had higher scope volume, but most residents believe they have enough scope experience. Obviously they get a great case variety with Dr. Salvo, Murray, and Mcmillan, but I think compared to their joints, spine, peds, hand, F&A volume it is definitely comparatively lacking. Seems like everyone thinks they get enough, just some want more.They are apparently hiring a new Rothman sports attending, so maybe this will help mitigate some of the discrepancy.
*Trauma experience - Also mixed. You can basically have up to 3-9 months of a true "trauma" rotation at Cooper. 3 months required, 3 months as optional, and 3 months as elective in 5th year if you want it (usually if going into trauma). A lot of their residents view this as a pro because they can basically tailor their experience towards getting more subspecialty rotations and facetime with certain attendings. It also contributes to better lifestyle, as they are pretty much crushed at Cooper for 3 months straight. A lot of DO programs tend to not have a dedicated trauma rotation at a level 1 center either, so I view it somewhat as a pro. However, many MD programs have at least 2 months of dedicated trauma at a level 1 all 5 years of residency, some of which may be seen as overkill, but definitely could be helpful in the long run. The Jefferson hospitals have pretty decent trauma case volume however, but obviously the more complex and serious trauma gets shipped to Cooper being a level 1 center. The benefit is that the residents do feel comfortable taking general call upon graduation however, because they do get significant adult/peds trauma experience at Cooper and Dupont, but don't expect to get the trauma experience like programs at a major academic center in an inner city or something.
*Didactic schedule - Already discussed above, but I think having only two didactic sessions at the beginning and end of the week is not enough at least for someone like me that needs a more structured study schedule that is as often as need. But I can see how people like just having it over with. Their didactics was the strongest I saw on the trail. Also, your Monday evenings are pretty much gone if you're not on trauma, oncology, peds, or an off-service intern. This means getting home like 8-9 pm most Mondays. I happen to be awake for all of these didactic sessions (because of anxiety being pimped, but also a mid-day caffeinated drink was the norm), but Tuesdays were always hard to recover. The residents definitely seemed used to it though.

Student-Specific Experience: This was truly an excellent rotation. From the beginning till end, they make sure that students are getting the most out of their rotation experiences. You will get a very detailed schedule each week, with all of the cases listed you will participate in and attendings/residents you will work with and their location (minus any add-on trauma cases). I though this was the most organized rotation I had by far. You will also get their didactic schedules a week earlier if you want to prepare. A week or two before the rotation you will have a phone call with one of the chiefs basically detailing the rotation and answering any questions you have about the program which I thought was nice. They will also provide a student orientation packet with all of topics/information you will likely review and study with residents and information about the program. Not like most programs where they just throw you into a random OR without knowing what to expect for the day which was nice. They limit their students to 5-8 students only. They spread everyone out and make sure everyone has a week with Dr. Daniel and a week with Dr. Harrer. They also try to make sure you have interaction with as many senior residents as possible. Most days signout was at 6 or 6:30, with cases going as late as 8 pm, but mostly ~5 pm most days. They do this thing after cases are done where residents "clear the ED" for the on-call resident, so they don't have to take any existing consults on their own that are already in the ED. I thought this was weird cause every resident goes together with us students joining in, but I can see why they thought it was a nice thing to do for their co-residents. Most cases we are with only one resident and are there to be as helpful as we can. Before each case, any resident I was with reviewed the pertinent anatomy, patient history, and general principles of the case unprompted which I thought was extremely helpful and I didn't experience on most of my other rotations. I'm pretty sure their philosophy is to ask questions to students about the case not just to see what they know, but so they can be prepared and feel like they are a part of case instead of just a retractor holder standing there which was nice. Working with Dr. Harrer, you will get very handsy and will be very involved. He even let me use a drill and ronjeur and remove and place implants. I also sutured after all of his cases. With Dr. Daniel, you basically need to understand that he is fast paced, and you need to control the ankle bump at his pace and grab utensils and do the tasks he asks you to do at a fast pace. He will ask you basic anatomy questions and personal questions about you and your goals in ortho, so just be prepared for those questions. Clinic is as described above, only go in one day with Dr. Daniel and Harrer and is very laid back and chill, go so rarely to just get the gist. For didactics, it's a little scary being put on the spot as a student for things you probably don't know or won't ever be asked about on other auditions, but they genuinely just want to make sure students pay attention and actually get something out of their didactics that's all. They are very "pimp heavy", but they do it in the nicest, non-malignant way possible, which made it actually enjoyable to learn from them. The fracture conferences well prepared me for the rest of my auditions and intern year. This is an excellent rotation to do early because you will learn a ton of bread and butter ortho at the beginning of the year as they are preparing for OITE. Weekend call is a huge plus and looks good, so definitely fit in a shift or two. If you can round with Dr. Daniel, that also will work in your favor. He rounds at like 4 am though, so it'll be a very long day, but it does make students stand out if you round with him, and he likes students showing that initiative. I highly recommend this rotation not just because it's a great program, but it was my favorite rotation experience on the trail by far. I know there are residents that rotated as early as July and August and as late as December and January that are matched incoming interns so don't think timing matters. They clearly look for hard-working, teachable, overall great people to end up there. I don't think to interview here you have to necessarily have the strongest connections or be the smartest person on the audition cause I certainly didn't and neither did the incoming intern I rotated with, just read the room and show initiative and interest. Obviously wish I matched here and jealous of those that did (pretty sure they always match who they want), but I still think very highly of the program and the people within it.

Reactions: 1 user
Program: Aultman Hospital

This program has been around for a very long time, but recently moved from one hospital to another and is ACGME accredited at this point

Residents per Class: 2

Hospital:
Aultman Hospital - main hospital the residents work at. Most of the cases are done here as well as the inpatient load. Food in cafeteria is 7/10 in terms of hospital food goes. Nice facility, older but clean.
Mercy Medical Center- Right down the street, the residents do some cases here with attendings.
OS3- Surgery center, really nice. Often go back to back on total joint days. Near lots of things to do.

Location: Canton, Ohio. A hidden gem of a city. There are more things to do here than meets the eye. Lots of great restaurants, shopping, nightlife. Close to Akron and Cleveland. Cleveland has anything you could possibly want to do. It is actually quite a clean city with lots of attractions and professional sports teams. The football hall of fame is in Canton itself.

Attendings: Overall, I found them all to be very friendly and welcoming. The PD went to morning report every day when I was there. He was very present in the program. The attendings give the residents a lot of autonomy here.

Residents: This is a smaller program. There are definitely pro's and con's to this, but the residents all seem to get along well.

Didactics/Education: About an hour every morning, M-Thurs before cases start.

Operative Experience: Depending on the case and who was scrubbing in, the attendings may or may not have scrubbed. When a 4/5 was scrubbed in, the attending rarely scrubbed and just let the resident fly and would come in to check every now and then on a majority of cases. Lots of teaching going on by senior residents to the juniors and med students. I was able to scrub a decent amount of cases, but not every case.

Clinic Experience: Resident clinic every Friday, resident run for the most part.

Rotations: They do trauma at Grant in Columbus and Hand at Grandview.

Research: Not obvious, theres some going on but not a lot

Lifestyle: Overall pretty decent. Rotating call schedule. The residents looked happy and seemed to spend time with each other outside of work. There is time for hobbies and extracurriculars.

Pros: This place is honestly a hidden gem. Great operative experience and friendly people, nice place to live. Not a ton of rotators coming through here, so if you are a strong candidate it is pretty easy to stand out. Rotated here last cycle so some things may have changed.

Cons: Out rotations about on par with many other osteopathic programs, but still a downside. Smaller program. They definitely get trauma here but nothing crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Program: McLaren- Greater Lansing

Hospital: Split time primarily between 2 hospitals, McLaren Greater Lansing and Sparrow. McLaren is a Level 3 hospital where primarily elective cases are performed (joints, sports, spine) and a small amount of trauma. This is a beautiful hospital, just build 1-2 years ago. Sparrow is a level 1 trauma center both peds and adult. The residents do the majority of their trauma cases here in addition to foot and ankle and some sports cases.

Residents also rotate in Cincinnati for Peds for 3 months as a PGY4 and Cleveland clinic for oncology for 2 months also as a PGY4.

Location: Lansing is the capital of Michigan and East Lansing is the home to Michigan State so you get the Michigan State University feel being very close to campus. East Lansing is nothing more than a college town but get the Big Ten sporting events which are great. Downtown Lansing has more to offer with regards to restaurants and things to do etc. Detroit is a 90 minute drive and northern Michigan has tons to offer as far as out door activities boating, fishing, hiking etc.

Attendings:

Joints
: They have a couple of very high volume joint guys doctors Cochran, Mesko and Taunt all a part of Michigan Orthopedic Center a large private practice group in Lansing. Dr. Cochran is a great attending and lets the residents get very involved. He's super nice and very high volume (7-8 totals a day and done before 4pm ). Dr. Mesko is a younger joints guy that also seems to let the residents get involved. He is a great teacher and seems to prioritize it when working with residents/students both in the OR and clinic. Taunt is their last high volume joints guy but I didn’t get a chance to work with him on my rotation.

Trauma: Upper quartile for a DO program when it comes to trauma and they don’t have to go elsewhere. Sparrow is their Level 1 but they take call at Sparrow and McLaren to help their numbers. Dr. Tucker is their trauma guy and he is awesome. Really cool, younger attending. Loves to teach and has a great vibe in the OR. He let a PGY5 teach a PGY2 how to do a femoral neck system skin to skin for the 2, didn't even scrub (barely paid attention). Dr. Swords is F&A trained but is a semi-trauma guy. He's an AO course instructor so he gives the residents great experience with trauma. Dr. Fraticelli is another trauma doc at sparrow, also really cool, younger doc and recent graduate of their program. Watched her run an intern through a CMN for a stable IT fracture and let him do 95% of the case. Overall good experience, especially for DO program.

UE/Shoulder: Doctors Noud and Heisey high emphasis on shoulder scopes and shoulder recon. Dr. Heisey is the PD and is shoulder trained. She is a great teacher and lets the residents get early hands on experience. A PGY2 had told me that as an intern she let him do the deltopectoral approach for her shoulder recon case. Dr Noud is sports trained but now only does shoulders. He is very high volume recon, not uncommon for him to do 6-7 shoulder replacements in a day. Also has a day a week for shoulder scopes I believe.

Sports: Doctors Shingles, Schorfarr, Wilcox and Dietzel. Dr Dietzel was the old PD and lets the residents fly. I was with a chief during the week I spent with Dietzel and he frequently let the resident run the case until he needed help. I didn’t spend much time with the other 3 docs but the residents speak highly of them.

Hand: Dr. Truluck is their main hand guy. Primarily bread and butter hand stuff (carpal tunnel, trigger fingers, CMC arthritis). Very pimp heavy in the OR, super down to earth guy and learned a lot from my few days with him.

Foot and Ankle: Dr. Swords is F&A but is half F&A and half trauma. Very impressive surgeon in both specialties and residents spoke very highly of him and their experiences while on service.

Spine: I didn't see any spine during my audition so I can't comment much. But I know they work with Dr. Dorenkamp at McLaren who is a recent graduate of their program. They also spend time with Dr. Winkelpleck at Sparrow who is an older spine doc who the residents speak highly of. Their spine experience seems very strong in comparison to other DO programs.

Residents: Great group of residents, all very nice and mostly outgoing. Seem to be pretty close knit. They work very hard at this program so not sure how much they get to hangout outside of the hospital. A bit of a “bro” culture and seems like quite a few of the residents were involved in college athletics. Not sure if this is something the PD looks for here or if it is more self selected but something worth noting.

Didactics/education: Daily education from 7a-8a following morning sign-out. Seemed to be a variety of lectures, videos, labs, anatomy, etc.

Operative Experience: Very busy, every service seems to be busy and the call between the hospitals is very busy. The only double scrubbing I saw was for add on trauma cases otherwise the residents work one on one with an attending. They follow an attending style schedule here meaning each resident is assigned to a certain attending for a 2-3 month period rather then being assigned to a service such as joints. The residents seem to prefer the attending based model noting graduated autonomy very quickly once the attending begins to trust you.

Clinic Experience: As mentioned above they follow an attending style schedule here so for the most part the residents follow their assigned attending to clinic.

Research: Variable from what I heard. A few residents looking to go into general practice that did the bare minimum to meet the ACGME requirements and on the opposite end of the spectrum other residents looking to match into more competitive fellowships were more involved. Sounds like they have a PhD through Michigan State that is assigned to their program and available to help residents out with any projects they might have.

Lifestyle: The college atmosphere is something to note, if you’re interested in BIG 10 athletics. Overall a very busy program, and a lot is expected outside of the hospital as well as preparation-wise. Most services are quite busy which leads to a great operative experience however a little less lifestyle friendly compared to other programs.

Pros: Great operative experience. Very busy, high volume services. Top 5 DO trauma experience.

Minimal “out” rotations and the ones they do have sound valuable. Brand new hospital.

Cons: Lifestyle seemed on the poor side compared to other programs though you get out of residency what you put into it and their seniors had very good hands in the OR across the board.

Student Specific Experience: Awesome rotation that I saw a lot and learned a lot. The residents were all great to work with and seemed to enjoy teaching. They do have a student specific fracture conference on Thursday afternoons that was good practice with x-ray reading. Students were included in the saw bones labs they do. The amount of pimping varied from resident to resident however as a whole I feel they expect a lot from students in regards to their ortho knowledge as compared to other programs. I was pimped a good amount here however I left well prepared for the following auditions.

Which program is NUMC?
Nassau University Medical Center in Long Island. Have heard not the greatest things about the hospital itself, but this was 5+ years ago and I'm unsure how the orthopaedics program is held in regard.