1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

osteopathic path to surgery

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DangQ3, Dec 11, 2005.

1. DangQ3

DangQ3 COMP 2012
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi SDN members. I've read many posts and you guys have been very helpful to everybody with questions. I have a question that I really need your help. I am a 3rd year bio student. I found that the osteopathic path is better suited for me than the allopathetic path. However, my one concern is the path toward becoming a surgeon. I want to become a surgeon and I have heard that the osteopathic path is harder and more complicated than the allopathetic path. Is there any truth to this? If the paths are the same between OD and MD, I would go to an allopathetic school in a heartbeat. Thank you in advance, any comment is appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

Hi DangQ3

It is DO not OD
    You may want to do a search since the topic has been discussed previously. In my opinion if you go DO and want to do an allopathic gen. surgery residency you will encounter somewhat more difficulty than doing an osteo. gen. surgery residency.

4. FS-Pro

FS-Pro Guest

Medical Student
    I'm confused, you say that the DO path is better suited for you, BUT you would rather do an MD residency over DO? I don't get it.

5. DangQ3

DangQ3 COMP 2012
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

oops...i meant i'd go to teh osteopathic path in a heart beat...sorry for the confusion.

So, if i go the osteopathic route to becoming a surgeon, there shoudn't be any unexpected complications right?

6. laboholic

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DMU seems to be very surgery orientated. I interviewed there last week and they had a very good surgical skills laboratory. The dean is a surgeon, so I would think you would have no problem matching in a surgery specialty as long as you had the grades and the board scores.

7. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It will really depend on how well you do at medial school.

8. FS-Pro

FS-Pro Guest

Medical Student
    There are plenty of DO's that go into surgery. Yes there are fewer than MD's, but there are much less DO's anyway. Also, going to an MD school in no way implies that you will be able to match into surgery. It is competitive for both programs, MD and DO.

9. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's osteoPATH to surgery, not osteopathic path. Common mistake. That's how you become an osteopathological surgerist

10. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    It is easier for an MD to get into a surgical specialty than a DO, if they have comparable stats.

The are several DO only programs, but the numbers are limited.

11. cyclegirl

cyclegirl Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

VCOM requires that all students take the MD and DO boards. When I was at my interview they said they required that because it could help when applying to competitive residencies.

12. ingridska

ingridska KCUMB 2010
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was interviewed at KCOM by an Osteopathic Surgeon. He loves his job, didn't have any difficulties, etc. I think if you believe in the DO philosophy, you will be quite satisfied.