Osteopathic PM&R residencies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOstudent22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all..i'm a 3rd year DO student. I am very interested in PM&R. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the osteopathic residencies for PM&R. Is there anyone currently in the residency with any information with how competitive they are and possibilities of future fellowships? Also what kind of comlex scores are needed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

DOstudent22 said:
hey all..i'm a 3rd year DO student. I am very interested in PM&R. I was wondering if anyone had any information about the osteopathic residencies for PM&R. Is there anyone currently in the residency with any information with how competitive they are and possibilities of future fellowships? Also what kind of comlex scores are needed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Not on topic, but is there a reason that you are looking at DO-only spots? Because allopathic PM&R is one of the more friendly specialties out there to DOs,

Finally M3 said:
Not on topic, but is there a reason that you are looking at DO-only spots? Because allopathic PM&R is one of the more friendly specialties out there to DOs,

just curious, want to explore all my options. and my board scores werent all that stellar...

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 DO PM and R residencies. Long Beach Medical Center is new, Michigan State University, and Nassua University Medical Center is dually accredited. However, you do not need to worry about applying to a MD residency program. Strong numbers are great and helpful but there is so much more that goes into a application. As for being a DO, it definitely helps. Plus, the more competency you have in OMT, the better your chances of scoring interviews. I am a DO student and I have received interviews at almost all the places I applied to including NYU, Johns Hopkins, Kessler, Columbia/Cornell and RIC. I have been offered so many interviews that I am now canceling many of them.

My gpa is slightly below average and my COMLEX Step I is low. My USMLE Step II and my COMLEX Step II are very high but most of my interviews came before these grades were even known. I have A LOT of extracurricular things on my application and have a very broad resume. This is what made my application strong.

So no need to worry. You definitely have a strong shot at being invited to interviews. Once you get to that point, all else is up to your interview skills.

durhamhamdur said:
There are 3 DO PM and R residencies. Long Beach Medical Center is new, Michigan State University, and Nassua University Medical Center is dually accredited. However, you do not need to worry about applying to a MD residency program. Strong numbers are great and helpful but there is so much more that goes into a application. As for being a DO, it definitely helps. Plus, the more competency you have in OMT, the better your chances of scoring interviews. I am a DO student and I have received interviews at almost all the places I applied to including NYU, Johns Hopkins, Kessler, Columbia/Cornell and RIC. I have been offered so many interviews that I am now canceling many of them.

My gpa is slightly below average and my COMLEX Step I is low. My USMLE Step II and my COMLEX Step II are very high but most of my interviews came before these grades were even known. I have A LOT of extracurricular things on my application and have a very broad resume. This is what made my application strong.

So no need to worry. You definitely have a strong shot at being invited to interviews. Once you get to that point, all else is up to your interview skills.

Hey durham, thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity, what kinds of extracurricular activites did you have to boost your application? I want to do everything i can in order to make up for my low comlex. Also, did you take the USMLE step 1? If not, why did you end up taking the USMLE step 2?